Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone know if the PQD CC Waiver will still be a thing in 2019?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Anyone know if the PQD CC Waiver will still be a thing in 2019?
There have been no indications it will not be true.
In past years, there wasn't a positive indication it was continued until a few weeks into January. No reason to think it will be different this year.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by findark

Yes, a single swap is all aisle access. The nightmare scenario is two or more swaps, ending with you in 2-4-2 J. Keeps you on your toes
Hadn't thought of that. I'll keep on eye on things. Of course, somehow in doing things yesterday, I no longer show the going flight as having an upgrade requested. And I still don't have any options for upgrading online, so looks like I'm calling again. And the GPU didn't go back into my account, so seems like I definitely need to call.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:24 pm

Please help a newbie...

Leisure traveler here. No experience with all these point programs and benefits. Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

We are looking to travel from EWR to MEL (NYC to Melbourne Australia) and then return SYD to EWR (Sydney to NYC) in March, 2019 for a vacation. Due to the length of the flights we want to travel in business class but we only have enough points to purchase an economy ticket and then upgrade with points and dollars on UA to business class. This business class upgrade is showing as waitlisted. How likely are we to get this upgrade? Is it unlikely, somewhat likely, or very likely? We do have the United Chase Explorer card if that makes any difference. The base economy fare for 2 is around $2600 and then they are charging 120k miles and $2400 for the 2 of us to upgrade to business class. If this upgrade is unlikely, we may just go on a cheaper cost Chinese airline in business class despite it taking longer with worse connections. We don't want to be stuck in an economy seat for 2 long flights, one of which will be 16 hours.

Any experience or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by Vesalius; Dec 28, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Vesalius
If this upgrade is unlikely, we may just go on a cheaper cost Chinese airline in business class despite it taking longer with worse connections. We don't want to be stuck in an economy seat for 2 long flights, one of which will be 16 hours.
Generally if you just plop yourself down on the most convenient routing, on the most popular travel days, you will not have any chance of getting this upgrade. Everyone else probably wants to travel that way for those two weeks also, and some of them will pay outright for Business while others will waitlist higher priority upgrades (since they have status).

If you must fly in Business Class, I would recommend choosing an option that would confirm that immediately. Some flexibility in your travel plans could make this happen on United; for example, flying outbound on 19 March via LAX-MEL and returning 2 April via SYD-LAX on United would immediately confirm upgrades on the TPAC segments. If you can't manage that flexibility, then you're better off looking at another option.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:44 pm

Thanks Findark. That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

I am headed over to the United.com site to search as you suggested.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been no indications it will not be true.
In past years, there wasn't a positive indication it was continued until a few weeks into January. No reason to think it will be different this year.
I figured as much, though am curious to see if the "new" Explorer card has any impact on this. I can't seem to find any references to the PQD waiver at all in any of the advertising. It's also not prominently indicated on the MyStatus page either (it used to be, as I recall).
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Hi,

We are a party of 3. Each of us has his/her own mileage account.

Can we book an award flight (ICN-NRT) under each account but combined into one reservation? Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by htwild1

Can we book an award flight (ICN-NRT) under each account but combined into one reservation? ....
No
Why are you interetsed in a single PNR?
Is this a round trip or one-way?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Can we book an award flight (ICN-NRT) under each account but combined into one reservation? Thanks.
You can book separately, but there will be no way to merge PNR's.

If you share some more details about why, someone may have a creative suggestion to get what you want.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Can you cancel a UA-award ticket (on another star carrier) within 24 hours (as per the regular 24 hour cancellation policy) and get the miles redeposited without a fee?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by EBGflyer
Can you cancel a UA-award ticket (on another star carrier) within 24 hours (as per the regular 24 hour cancellation policy) and get the miles redeposited without a fee?
Yes, the 24 hour free cancellation period applies to award tickets.
United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...
EBGflyer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
it is for one way.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No
Why are you interetsed in a single PNR?

Can we book an award flight (ICN-NRT) under each account but combined into one reservation? ....
No
Why are you interested in a single PNR?
it is for one way.
That eliminates the option for using one account for the outboard and one account for the return.

So the answer stands, using different accounts to fund the travel means different PNRs.

Why are you wanting a single PNR, there may be other options depending on the reason desiring a single PNR.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Can I apply a GPU (on W fare code via UA.com) if the metal is Lufthansa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.