Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And better QF than JQ
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Weird situation, trying to see if anyone has any ideas:

Had 264,XXX miles, was going to book an award trip for 320,000. Transferred over 56,000 miles from Chase to put me at 320,XXX(on the 7th). Purchase ticket (on the 8th). Look at account later in the day and see in my transaction history:
  • 12/08/2018
    Description
    Mileage Purchase
    Miles Earned
    56,000 miles
  • Date
    12/07/2018
    Description
    Chase Ultimate Rewards
    Miles Earned
    56,000 miles
My account now has 56,XXX miles in it when it should have XXX, and I can't find any receipt showing I purchased 56k miles or see any charges pending on any credit card.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by robhakari
Weird situation, trying to see if anyone has any ideas
It's a weekend. Never trust what you see on the website on the weekend. If it persists, it's probably an IT error. The miles may go away, and they may not.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
You're pretty restricted on the UA fare:

V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 VLXTOUMB V‡X 1076.00 ---- -/‡ -/ - PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-SAN TO-PER CXR-UA TVL-09DEC18 RULE-PW1R IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-VLXTOUMB SPECIAL FARE DIS-N VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-SAP OW-ADVANCE PURCHASE
USD 1076.00 CONS E19AUG18 D-INFINITY FC-VLXTOUMB FN-
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 18AUG18/1110 EXPIRES INFINITY

**** CONSTRUCTED ROUTING SAN-PER/UA EF-19AUG18 DIS-INDEF
**PUBLISHED SAN-SYD TPRG/3 PUBLISHED ROUTING 0551
**ADDON DST PER TPRG/3 PUBLISHED ROUTING 0551

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-SYD-UA/QF/JQ-BNE-UA/QF/JQ-PER
2. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-SYD-UA/QF-MEL-UA/QF/JQ-PER
3. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-SYD-UA/QF/JQ-PER
4. SAN-SFO/LAX/LAS/DEN-SFO/LAX-AKL-UA/NZ-PER

...but...

AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN NEW
ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA.

TG and NZ do not permit off-plating of their fares. I tried to get creative with other *A airlines, but e.g. NH requires SAN-SFO-TYO-SYD-PER. I think you're stuck on this one unless someone can get them to fix the rules to allow AKL-PER.
Thank you @findark and @Kacee I ended up booking UA to SIN and GPU on the long haul SFO-SIN-SFO, with a waitlist for the SAN-SFO-SAN legs. :-)

I can fly SQ or Scoot SIN-PER, and am allowing a day for misconnects. I know I can earn mileage with SQ, but is it possible with Scoot? SQ seems to be able to earn with Scoot but cannot find any mention of Scoot on the UA website. The price differential is $150 for a five hour flight so not a deal breaker if Scoot does not earn mileage with MP.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Thank you @findark and @Kacee I ended up booking UA to SIN and GPU on the long haul SFO-SIN-SFO, with a waitlist for the SAN-SFO-SAN legs. :-)

I can fly SQ or Scoot SIN-PER, and am allowing a day for misconnects. I know I can earn mileage with SQ, but is it possible with Scoot? SQ seems to be able to earn with Scoot but cannot find any mention of Scoot on the UA website. The price differential is $150 for a five hour flight so not a deal breaker if Scoot does not earn mileage with MP.
No, you cannot earn MP miles on Scoot. I'm a little surprised at your choice though; even with an Aussie I/D transfer it seems less hassle to fly via SYD on a single ticket than a split-ticket in SIN, and SIN-PER is longer than SYD-PER. I guess it could be cheaper though, since SIN has really cheap W fares?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
No, you cannot earn MP miles on Scoot. I'm a little surprised at your choice though; even with an Aussie I/D transfer it seems less hassle to fly via SYD on a single ticket than a split-ticket in SIN, and SIN-PER is longer than SYD-PER. I guess it could be cheaper though, since SIN has really cheap W fares?
Much less expensive and PZ available. Flight SYD-PER is about the same as SIN-PER time wise. I will actually be in SYD the month before for four weeks so no need to stop over in SYD and more expensive to fly SFO-SYD vs SFO-SIN (the SAN piece is only minor) and only one PZ leg is confirmed. So will have a day in SIN each way. It would be nice to have UA help fly *A to PER, but SQ (in coach) will be nice. Update: used miles on SQ for business class.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Dec 11, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Much less expensive and PZ available. Flight SYD-PER is about the same as SIN-PER time wise. I will actually be in SYD the month before for four weeks so no need to stop over in SYD and more expensive to fly SFO-SYD vs SFO-SIN (the SAN piece is only minor) and only one PZ leg is confirmed. So will have a day in SIN each way. It would be nice to have UA help fly *A to PER, but SQ (in coach) will be nice.
Nice score on the SFO-SIN upgrade SIN is one of my favorite places to overnight.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Looking at upgrading a future GRU-ORD-LAX itinerary - if PZ is available on GRU-ORD but not on ORD-LAX, that means I'll be confirmed in business on GRU-ORD and waitlisted on ORD-LAX correct? The full itinerary currently shows PZ = 0.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Looking at upgrading a future GRU-ORD-LAX itinerary - if PZ is available on GRU-ORD but not on ORD-LAX, that means I'll be confirmed in business on GRU-ORD and waitlisted on ORD-LAX correct? The full itinerary currently shows PZ = 0.
Yes.
764toHI likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Upgraded with GPU on transatlantic, but have a continuation without stopover in Y (W) with LH on same ticket. Will I still get 3 bags of 70lbs (1K) checked right through? Most Significant Carrier rules should apply, shouldn't they?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Upgraded with GPU on transatlantic, but have a continuation without stopover in Y (W) with LH on same ticket. Will I still get 3 bags of 70lbs (1K) checked right through? Most Significant Carrier rules should apply, shouldn't they?
If your first flight is on UA, assuming your transfer isn't overnight, you'll get your 1K allowance at check-in, and you won't see your bags again until your final destination.

If you have a return flight, and your first flight is with LH, you will not get 3x70; you'll get the underlying economy allowance for the fare, plus one bag for *G.
sabbasolo likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Question Ticket Reissue

I had a paid P fare ticket booked roundtrip CLE-BOS-FRA-FCO-ORD-CLE. Recently United decided to eliminate the CLE-BOS route so my ticket would need rebooked. The CLE-BOS flight was an ERJ145 so I was booked into a Y fare for that leg, all others were P. BOS-FRA-FCO were on LH metal. Before I call in to rebook, I wanted to know what my rights are so I know how to handle the call.

1. Am I entitled to any kind of rerouting or are they only obligated to get me to BOS to finish my original itinerary?
  2. Since the CLE-BOS leg was a Y fare, would that be the fare class that any other replacement legs changed to would be booked in? E.g. if I get routed CLE-EWR-BOS-etc, what fares are they obligated to book for CLE-EWR-BOS? Y, P, or any other economy fare?
  3. I booked this routing based on price, I presume since the elimination of the CLE-BOS route is their problem, I wouldn't be charged for any changes or new routing?
  4. If all else fails, would this type of change entitle me to a refund if I decide enough if enough and to rebook on another carrier?

Thanks in advance. If it makes any difference I have UA Gold status.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrmoo
I had a paid P fare ticket booked roundtrip CLE-BOS-FRA-FCO-ORD-CLE. Recently United decided to eliminate the CLE-BOS route so my ticket would need rebooked. The CLE-BOS flight was an ERJ145 so I was booked into a Y fare for that leg, all others were P. BOS-FRA-FCO were on LH metal. Before I call in to rebook, I wanted to know what my rights are so I know how to handle the call.
  1. Am I entitled to any kind of rerouting or are they only obligated to get me to BOS to finish my original itinerary?
  2. Since the CLE-BOS leg was a Y fare, would that be the fare class that any other replacement legs changed to would be booked in? E.g. if I get routed CLE-EWR-BOS-etc, what fares are they obligated to book for CLE-EWR-BOS? Y, P, or any other economy fare?
  3. I booked this routing based on price, I presume since the elimination of the CLE-BOS route is their problem, I wouldn't be charged for any changes or new routing?
  4. If all else fails, would this type of change entitle me to a refund if I decide enough if enough and to rebook on another carrier?

Thanks in advance. If it makes any difference I have UA Gold status.
1. While you're not "entitled" to a rerouting, UA is typically very good about this kind of thing.
2. CLE-BOS was almost certainly not a Y fare, but was rather a Y seat assignment on a P fare. Therefore, you should be eligible for a first-class seat from CLE; however, you may need to HUCA a couple of times to get someone who understands it. Be polite, and don't escalate unless it's absolutely the last resort (i.e., try several calls before escalating). You don't want a note in your record.
3. Correct; there will be no charge to make a change to anything "reasonable." CLE-EWR-FCO, or CLE-EWR-FRA-FCO, shouldn't be a problem. CLE-SFO-NRT-FRA-FCO probably won't fly.
4, Almost certainly.
mrmoo likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
1. While you're not "entitled" to a rerouting, UA is typically very good about this kind of thing.
2. CLE-BOS was almost certainly not a Y fare, but was rather a Y seat assignment on a P fare. Therefore, you should be eligible for a first-class seat from CLE; however, you may need to HUCA a couple of times to get someone who understands it. Be polite, and don't escalate unless it's absolutely the last resort (i.e., try several calls before escalating). You don't want a note in your record.
3. Correct; there will be no charge to make a change to anything "reasonable." CLE-EWR-FCO, or CLE-EWR-FRA-FCO, shouldn't be a problem. CLE-SFO-NRT-FRA-FCO probably won't fly.
4, Almost certainly.
Thanks! I am certainly not a "Do you know who I am?" kind of person, I just want to make sure I understand the rules before I call. All of this is good news and I appreciate your helping me!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I would also mention to do some research on what your specific routing would be - whether it be the EWR or ORD nonstop to FCO and the associated connecting flight to CLE. In my experience, it seems easier to feed the flight numbers to the agents versus telling them high-level what you would prefer. Also in this situation, it is likely easier for the UA agents to open up P availability on UA metal flights versus finding P fares on LH TATL flights.

Originally Posted by mrmoo
Thanks! I am certainly not a "Do you know who I am?" kind of person, I just want to make sure I understand the rules before I call. All of this is good news and I appreciate your helping me!
jsloan and mrmoo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.