Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lesamuel
EDIT: Checked in at exactly T-24. Flight went from J7 to J0 immediately. Of course I didnt clear. What exactly is the point of upgrade instruments if you cant use them?
If it went from J7 to J0 at T-24, that's extremely unusual, but it would suggest that as many as 7 people did, in fact, get to use their upgrade instruments. (More likely, IMO, 5 people did, 2 more people bought TODs, and you didn't happen to be watching exactly at T-24).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by findark
If it fits your schedule the 772 Polaris is the best seats out of the four and also seems to have upgrade space (unless you meant to type PN3?). Regardless, the 50J aircraft are a bit of an over-provisioning on the route and are a good bet for upgrades.
Ok, thx. In the end I went for the 5pm ewr - lax on 19th , 757-200 with PZ4 , got fav seat 1A.

I really do not like the polaris seats, there is a major design fault where the tray table is 7 inches too low , so I cannot get my knees under it, when trying to lie down. Not a good seat for tall people !

Last edited by simonoaks; Aug 14, 2019 at 9:54 am
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:56 am

Hi,

Chance of lax - ewr 9.15pm on 21st Aug clearing, compared to 10.30pm SFO - ewr that night? thx
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonoaks
Hi,

Chance of lax - ewr 9.15pm on 21st Aug clearing, compared to 10.30pm SFO - ewr that night? thx
No chance on SFO-EWR. Decent chance on LAX-EWR. Unfortunately, only middle seats are available if you want PE as a backup plan on LAX-EWR.

If you can fly later, you can confirm an upgrade now for the LAX-EWR flight at 12:15 the next morning (PZ4, on the 28J 757).
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
21:15 LAX, although the midnight has PZ space already and the midnight SFO is also a much stronger choice.

ed. forgot of course 781 comes with free PE which makes it a no-brainer if listing an upgrade.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I've noticed a fair amount of availability on LAX-EWR lately and vice versa. Friday Aug 30th late afternoon / early eve flights EWR-LAX have some PZ5, PZ6 buckets. Granted it's the Friday before Labor Day weekend, but still it's a Friday with availability.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:20 pm

Hi there, I applied mileage upgrade awards for me and my wife on FLT 940 out of EWR to LHR on Saturday 8/24 at 10pm. 10 days out, and speaking with the rep there are 6 people waiting for upgrade including me, and 14 seats of 46 booked, but united is holding 15 seats because economy is overbooked significantly. What do you think my chances of clearing are before the 24 hour mark? I don't want them to split the PNR.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MoogleMD
Hi there, I applied mileage upgrade awards for me and my wife on FLT 940 out of EWR to LHR on Saturday 8/24 at 10pm. 10 days out, and speaking with the rep there are 6 people waiting for upgrade including me, and 14 seats of 46 booked, but united is holding 15 seats because economy is overbooked significantly. What do you think my chances of clearing are before the 24 hour mark? I don't want them to split the PNR.
Your chances are good of the upgrade clearing eventually, provided they fly that configuration. Economy isn't overbooked; they're blocking 15 seats in case they have to swap to a lower-capacity J plane. Those seats won't be available for sale, meaning upgrade chances are much better than they normally would be.

As to whether or not it would happen prior to check-in; that depends upon when they decide that plane's assignment is finalized. Perhaps someone can report clearance experiences with the high-J 763.

Do you have status with United?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Your chances are good of the upgrade clearing eventually, provided they fly that configuration. Economy isn't overbooked; they're blocking 15 seats in case they have to swap to a lower-capacity J plane. Those seats won't be available for sale, meaning upgrade chances are much better than they normally would be.

As to whether or not it would happen prior to check-in; that depends upon when they decide that plane's assignment is finalized. Perhaps someone can report clearance experiences with the high-J 763.

Do you have status with United?
Not any more. I was never more than silver anyways, I do hold a Chase united club card but that's about it. Thanks for explaining the 15 blocked seats. Makes sense. Though the buy up is 1100$... which seems actually not as bad since my copay is 550$+20k miles
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
At least last month it was at the gate only.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:01 am

No chance on SFO-EWR. Decent chance on LAX-EWR. Unfortunately, only middle seats are available if you want PE as a backup plan on LAX-EWR.

If you can fly later, you can confirm an upgrade now for the LAX-EWR flight at 12:15 the next morning (PZ4, on the 28J 757).
Ok, THX. I am ok with just E+ , as the PE is middle AND Bulkhead. Cannot really do later as I already have a 3hr layover as I am doing SMF-PBI

What about CPU chances on 5.52 SMF - DEN (This will be 100%, as always) then 11.50pm DEN to EWR and 8.30am EWR to PBI (rarely get upgraded on this route as too many rich people buy J straight off ) , so DEN-EWR the important one. thx
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
At least last month it was at the gate only.
That's what I was afraid of. I suspect that a passenger without status would probably have to wait until the gate to clear, although stranger things have happened.

What about CPU chances on 5.52 SMF - DEN (This will be 100%, as always) then 11.50pm DEN to EWR and 8.30am EWR to PBI (rarely get upgraded on this route as too many rich people buy J straight off ) , so DEN-EWR the important one. thx
SMF-DEN would be an easy upgrade. DEN-EWR currently looks OK, but I don't think I'd chance it; if they don't clear the upgrade in advance, it's easy to have a combination of TODs and IRROPs take up the remaining seats. And EWR-PBI, probably not.

Note that SMF-DEN-EWR currently has PZ space, so an RPU would clear immediately.

The SMF-EWR red-eye also has PZ space.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:53 am

That's what I was afraid of. I suspect that a passenger without status would probably have to wait until the gate to clear, although stranger things have happened.

SMF-DEN would be an easy upgrade. DEN-EWR currently looks OK, but I don't think I'd chance it; if they don't clear the upgrade in advance, it's easy to have a combination of TODs and IRROPs take up the remaining seats. And EWR-PBI, probably not.

Note that SMF-DEN-EWR currently has PZ space, so an RPU would clear immediately.

The SMF-EWR red-eye also has PZ space.
Thanks for you help !
I only have 3 GPUs and 2 RPUs left , so would not use them on anything other than the PS routes. I think the SMF-EWR would clear CPU , however, my last meeting ends at 3.30pm, so I usually prefer to at least be travelling , instead of haning around. That's why I am leaning towards the 4.45 via LAX.

Do MUA clear immediately if PZ space open? Also, is there a way of knowing what the Mileage and copay will be , before booking the flight ? Just wondering what it might cost in miles and cash for the SMF-DEN-EWR-PBI route compared to the LAX-EWR , wouldn't mind saving RPUs for now as still a lot of travelling to do before 31st Jan, and I only use GPUs for travelling back home to UK to see family.

thx
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do MUA clear immediately if PZ space open?
Yes.

Also, is there a way of knowing what the Mileage and copay will be , before booking the flight ?
No co-pay for Premier members on CPU-eligible routes. 7.5-20K miles, depending upon your fare class.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:04 pm

Yes.

No co-pay for Premier members on CPU-eligible routes. 7.5-20K miles, depending upon your fare class.
Cool, thx !
Is there a way of looking up what it will be before booking (I will know the fare class ) , I want to compare the CPU route with the LAX route . thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.