Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lesamuel

It was PN4 when I booked, but overall inventory in J hasn’t moved, so it seems like they’re trying to sell the cabin. Currently J9 C8 P7, was P9 a couple days ago.

Any pattern in terms of when UA releases PZ? The last time I used an RPU I was looking for R space

correction to the above: nearly full J cabin on the flight before, not empty. The last flight is wide open, second to last is pretty booked
No rule of thumb, but the times I typically check for it opening are about one week prior, then T-48, T-24.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Any pattern in terms of when UA releases PZ? The last time I used an RPU I was looking for R space
Inventory adjusts to the closer-to-departure forecast after 21, 14, and 7 days to go. Periodic adjustments based on demand usually happen on Tuesday nights also, but can be any time.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje
United updated the web interface, so the tool doesn't send you anywhere useful anymore.

New Future Flight Status Tool (presently non-operative)

For the upgrade chances EWR-SFO/LAX, what times and aircraft (28J or 16J)?

Also, wouldn't count on CPU for ORD-SMF, but maybe you're rig
ht that it's easier.
The first flight EWR to SFO is 8.15 am and a 777-200
the 2nd EWR- LAX is 9.00am and also a 777-200
3rd EWR to LAX is 10am and is a 757-200 28J

I have a really good CPU upgrade ratio this year for non PS routes, esily over 80% . My last 3 trips I has all 4 segments clear on both trips and all 5 segments on the other. But I can see ORD to SMF being a close one as it is a 319 inseatd of a 320 or a 378/9 .
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonoaks
But I can see ORD to SMF being a close one as it is a 319 inseatd of a 320 or a 378/9 .
Long 319 flights are almost impossible to clear via CPU. They're not even easy to clear via RPU.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Long 319 flights are almost impossible to clear via CPU. They're not even easy to clear via RPU.
True ! I also need to take into consideration the E+ seating, not just chance of upgrade. I have just been reading that the E+ seating on the 777-200 V4 is literally the worst in the fleet. AT 6'4' and 320lb , I care a lot about E+ seating. I think I should go with the EWR-ORD-SMF route , as I cannot risk not clearing on one of the PS routes, and then being stuck in bad E+ seat. Unless , like on the EWR to LAX route, I get a seat of 3 with only 2 of us in it....but again, a risk.

Still worndering what my upgrade chances are with the PS routes I posted above , so will wait and see what people say , first....

I see that UA703 ewr-LAX at 9am has J9 (14 seats open on seatmap on app) and PN3, but importantly , seems lots of E+ space open. Any idea on chance of upgrade on that one? Or chance that will have spare middle seat ? thx

Last edited by simonoaks; Aug 7, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:42 pm

So, I found something surprising: insead of fly to SMF on the morning of 20th. I can get flight EWR to SFO on the evening of 19th, then fly to SMF the following morning, and there are several PZ spaces open , for e.g. 8pm EWR to SFO PZ2 on 777 200 Polaris, 9pm EWR to SFO 757 200 PZ4 or EWR to LAX 8pm 757 200 PZ8 !
Think I will go with the EWR to LAX at 8pm, as I do not like the polaris seats.

Just surprised so many PZ options open for that route.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:35 pm

Ok,

Have a new question about upgrade options, sorry !
I can get a 7am EWR - LAX on 20th Aug, it is a 787-10 and has J9 PN9, T fair - what is upgrade chance ?
Or I can get 8pm on 20th EWR - SFO on 777-200 polaris - PZ3
Or A flight EWR - LAX on 757-200 - PZ5
Or EWR - LAX 9am on 20th - PN4 - what is chance of upgrade?
I am pretty flexible on the route , so lastly which is considered the better seats/ plane - 757-200 , 777-200 old layout , 777-200 polaris or dreamliner 10 polaris... thx !
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If it fits your schedule the 772 Polaris is the best seats out of the four and also seems to have upgrade space (unless you meant to type PN3?). Regardless, the 50J aircraft are a bit of an over-provisioning on the route and are a good bet for upgrades.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:48 pm

Wanted to seek advice on upgrading on the SFO to Taipei flights. Previously it was a day to upgrade and lots of PZ space open up way before the flight. Hopefully it still is.

Would you buy a W class for 600 or R class for 730 one way and use gpu for upgrade? On one hand I believe this will clear (looking at today’s 871 gone out with 10+ open Polaris), on the other hand it seems like they might clear PP into Polaris first and for 130 more is probably a good deal.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
Wanted to seek advice on upgrading on the SFO to Taipei flights. Previously it was a day to upgrade and lots of PZ space open up way before the flight. Hopefully it still is.

Would you buy a W class for 600 or R class for 730 one way and use gpu for upgrade? On one hand I believe this will clear (looking at today’s 871 gone out with 10+ open Polaris), on the other hand it seems like they might clear PP into Polaris first and for 130 more is probably a good deal.
Unless the flight is PZ>0, I would pay up for R, as the upgrade odds are much enhanced compared to the W. You also get 150% PQM.

SFO-TPE is still a good upgrade bet much of the time, though there are occasional misses and Saturdays and Sundays can be a particular challenge.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Unless the flight is PZ>0, I would pay up for R, as the upgrade odds are much enhanced compared to the W. You also get 150% PQM.

SFO-TPE is still a good upgrade bet much of the time, though there are occasional misses and Saturdays and Sundays can be a particular challenge.
Thanks. That was what I was thinking as well. Now I just need to get through the phone line to change the flight within 24 hours but lines are busy, even for 1K. can't change online for some reason and can't refund since an ETC was attached. I wonder if the GG Buyup change fee will be waived if it is over 24 hours.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by myperks
Thanks. That was what I was thinking as well. Now I just need to get through the phone line to change the flight within 24 hours but lines are busy, even for 1K. can't change online for some reason and can't refund since an ETC was attached. I wonder if the GG Buyup change fee will be waived if it is over 24 hours.
decided that 135 was a small price to pay if the upgrade doesn’t go through. Now in PP waitlisted for Polaris. No charge to upfare since it was within 24 hours.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Upgrade hasn’t cleared with RPU (no-status, used family member’s) on a J7 P7 cabin at almost T-24. Is it more advantageous to wait as long as possible to check in or check in immediately to be added to the upgrade standby list?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Upgrade hasn’t cleared with RPU (no-status, used family member’s) on a J7 P7 cabin at almost T-24. Is it more advantageous to wait as long as possible to check in or check in immediately to be added to the upgrade standby list?
I would check in as soon as possible. You will see how many people will push you down on the upgrade standby list if you monitor it very closely. Typically, United will clear up to 5 passengers at T-23 h for your flight at J7/P7 (leaving two seats). Some seats may be taken by buy-ups, too.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I would check in as soon as possible. You will see how many people will push you down on the upgrade standby list if you monitor it very closely. Typically, United will clear up to 5 passengers at T-23 h for your flight at J7/P7 (leaving two seats). Some seats may be taken by buy-ups, too.
So the hope is check in as soon as possible and hope 5 GS/higher status instrument holders don’t bump me past #5? Fingers crossed, this flight will suck if this RPU doesn’t clear. Infuriating how they won’t release any PZ even when 10+ seats are for sale. If I were a top tier flyer, I’d be switching airlines

EDIT: Checked in at exactly T-24. Flight went from J7 to J0 immediately. Of course I didn’t clear. What exactly is the point of upgrade instruments if you can’t use them?

Last edited by lesamuel; Aug 10, 2019 at 9:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.