Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
The customer service agent said it was odd that with a PZ seat opening up that my upgrade didn't clear automatically. Is that correct? I thought I read on FT forums that you have to manually call in for the upgrade and it doesn't happen automatically.
It's supposed to clear automatically. Sometimes it doesn't.

By calling and getting it pushed through, you may have jumped ahead of someone else on the list. However, because PZ was open, anybody could have applied a GPU (or even a miles + copay) upgrade, and jumped ahed of you, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you waitlisted? Very good odds of PZ opening booked 4/50 six weeks out.
I haven't waitlisted yet since I'm currently on an economy award. Trying to be flexible before I buy the fare, but also thinking I should buy the W fare @ $630 and waitlist since the flight is 6 weeks out, the price will probably go up?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
https://cablepick.net/united allows you to get the UA flight status page for any future flight.
Is this operated by someone here? Great site. Clear, simple, and to the point.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...atus-tool.html
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It is, although the particular poster's handle escapes me.

It relies on UA's site allowing the flight parameters to be passed in the URL, so it's possible to make the links yourself, but I agree the site is nice convenience.

edit: beat to the punch! Thanks to WineCountryUA for the link.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brodayo
I haven't waitlisted yet since I'm currently on an economy award. Trying to be flexible before I buy the fare, but also thinking I should buy the W fare @ $630 and waitlist since the flight is 6 weeks out, the price will probably go up?
If you have a specific flight in mind and want to upgrade, the better strategy these days is to buy and waitlist. UA has been clearing waitlists lately without opening PZ (or at least not for any longer than it takes to clear pax off the waitlist).
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
My flight is now on week away, from EWR to LAS on 7/9/19 on UA 1794. (We both have separate reservations booked in economy (T).)

Can anyone advise on if you believe mileage upgrade seats from economy to first will open in the next few days for this flight? Currently, for mileage plus copay it is waitlist only.

Thanks for the help.
Using https://www.cablepick.net/united, it currently shows 10 of 12 booked already (small plane A320, doesn't help with only 12 seats). As posted above, buy-up if you definitely want those last two seats. I'd say chances of it clearing using miles are about zero unfortunately.

Last edited by tstauck; Jul 3, 2019 at 3:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Plat
99.9%. The only way you don't clear is if there are major IRROPS on Wednesday, canceling a bunch of flights to DC.
All three of us cleared at 1Hr mark before flight.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by evol
Aloha, I requested a Mileage Upgrade Award for the following:

7/4 UA 1575 HNL-SFO 11:07 pm

7/5 UA 295 SFO-EWR 8:15 am

both are waitlisted, i am a *S...

Ive had the recent luck of getting a complimentary upgrade on my last two LAX-HNL, incredibly surprising and completely unrelated to this question.

Id be really bummed if my upgrade into SFO cleared, wasting my miles on a red eye on a 739..
Just for follow up, HNL-SFO leg cleared awhile back and SFO-EWR Polaris leg cleared just after checking in.

Im feeling blessed..
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:50 pm

Just curious, what incentive do airlines have to give away any free business/first class upgrades at all as opposed to just ratcheting down the cost until every seat is purchased?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danthflyer
Just curious, what incentive do airlines have to give away any free business/first class upgrades at all as opposed to just ratcheting down the cost until every seat is purchased?
One option: possibly get people to bump their spending up to $15k PQD from something appreciably less than that.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danthflyer
There are several reasons; the main one, though, is fare discipline. If passengers learned that airlines would always lower the price until the seats were sold, theyd be much less likely to buy higher fares; theyd just wait. This would be disastrous for the airlines, because a huge part of their price discrimination strategy is using advance purchase rules to get business travelers to pay more than leisure travelers.

A second reason to provide upgrades to frequent travelers is to try to provide an additional incentive to book UA even when all else is equal or even when UA is at a disadvantage in terms of convenience, fare, or whatnot.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A second reason to provide upgrades to frequent travelers is to try to provide an additional incentive to book UA even when all else is equal or even when UA is at a disadvantage in terms of convenience, fare, or whatnot.
And the golden goose here is to cultivate customers who don't even bother to check competing prices when they book. This is admittedly harder now that you can just load up your favorite search engine to see side-by-side.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K
how often to check for PZ space?

Originally Posted by Kacee
1. The odds of clearing SFO-FRA in September are not great, but not hopeless. 1K on an R at least has some chance.
Thanks to Kacee, jsloan, and fumje for helpful answers.
Recall the context: My wife and I will be doing YVR-SFO-FRA-TXL 23 Sept with SFO-FRA in R (Prem Econ) and I've applied GPUs to our tickets. How proactive should I be about looking for PZ space on the SFO-FRA leg to be released between now and 23 Sept? I.e., can I rely on United's sweeps to automatically upgrade us if PZ is released, or should I manually monitor it from time to time? If the answer is "monitor", then when should I start, and how often should I monitor it?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by stmvanc
Thanks to Kacee, jsloan, and fumje for helpful answers.
Recall the context: My wife and I will be doing YVR-SFO-FRA-TXL 23 Sept with SFO-FRA in R (Prem Econ) and I've applied GPUs to our tickets. How proactive should I be about looking for PZ space on the SFO-FRA leg to be released between now and 23 Sept? I.e., can I rely on United's sweeps to automatically upgrade us if PZ is released, or should I manually monitor it from time to time? If the answer is "monitor", then when should I start, and how often should I monitor it?
The sweeps usually work; if I were you I would check the flight at least once a week just in case, and more frequently if it smells like PZ space is coming (PN9), but on a September FRA flight I wouldn't hold my breath. Me, I check all my future flights daily, even if I don't have an upgrade request, but that's just habit (and it helps you learn the route)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.