Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So, I booked the flight, then just had a thought about different fare class , do did same search and can get same flight for same price with Q fare, should I change it? Will that give better chance for upgrade ?

thx
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Flying from YUL to PVG on June 22. Will be buying a Q fare and willing to route through any US gateway. Narrowed it down to SFO or LAX since ORD and EWR look horrible. Not much separating them, though intuitively 891 and 198 seem to be better than 857 based on past feedback. Any thoughts on what would be the best flight to go with to maximize upgrade chances?

UA857 (32/48 J sold) - J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 PZ0
UA891 (31/48 J sold) - J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 PZ0
UA198 (31/48 J sold) - J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z7 ZN7 P2 PN0 PZ0
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
LAX-PVG is my choice

Check https://www.cablepick.net/united for an exact number of unsold seats. LAX flight has fewer elites than SFO. If you have 1K status, your chance of success is very high. Good luck.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by simonoaks
So, I booked the flight, then just had a thought about different fare class , do did same search and can get same flight for same price with Q fare, should I change it? Will that give better chance for upgrade ?

thx
What is your current booking class? If Q is higher than your current class (W or V), you would clear above the W and V fares. I honestly wouldn't pay more into it unless it's like $50.... but it's probably more.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by simonoaks

thx
If it's the same price, it's a non-brainer as you will be ahead of the V and W fares. However, I cannot guarantee the end-result (the upgrade) as it depends on how many GS there are and how many 1Ks with higher fares and how many passengers will take any TOD.

Also, I think that you were looking for an adjustment if the price went down on the W fare. Maybe the Q fare will never go down.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If it's the same price, it's a non-brainer as you will be ahead of the V and W fares. However, I cannot guarantee the end-result (the upgrade) as it depends on how many GS there are and how many 1Ks with higher fares and how many passengers will take any TOD.

Also, I think that you were looking for an adjustment if the price went down on the W fare. Maybe the Q fare will never go down.
I figured it out. I was putting in Q fare along with GPU upgrade with the advanced search , but it was defaulting to W fare (hence showing the same price). Turns out you have to remove the GPU option then search - V is 200 more and Q is 500 more for two of us.

As there are 14/39 seats left with PN4, I figure , as someone said previously, I have a pretty good chance of getting the upgrade. This is the 1st time I have done wait list , so a bit new to me, as previously I would never book until PZ space is open. Will just leave it and see how it goes,
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:14 am

I'm at T-60 for UA3474 on June 11th. I'm a Platinum member with a CPU applied. How can I know how many passengers are in front of me in the upgrade list?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mittch
I'm at T-60 for UA3474 on June 11th. I'm a Platinum member with a CPU applied. How can I know how many passengers are in front of me in the upgrade list?
You really don't have a way to know until the last GS and 1K have checked in, and also there might be some Platinum with a higher fare.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You really don't have a way to know until the last GS and 1K have checked in, and also there might be some Platinum with a higher fare.
The best that you can do is to count the number of occupied E+ seats. As a Platinum, on DCA-EWR on a workday evening, I’d assume you’re behind 50-75% of the passengers who are listed in E+. Despite the fact that F is only booked 1/6, the fact that E+ is almost full tells me your chances aren’t great.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
The best that you can do is to count the number of occupied E+ seats. As a Platinum, on DCA-EWR on a workday evening, I’d assume you’re behind 50-75% of the passengers who are listed in E+. Despite the fact that F is only booked 1/6, the fact that E+ is almost full tells me your chances aren’t great.
And then there are the passengers who booked First Class on another flight and decide to switch to your flight.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The best that you can do is to count the number of occupied E+ seats.
And then there are the passengers who booked First Class on another flight and decide to switch to your flight.
Bottom line is that guessing Plat CPU odds on a business route past the window is a total crapshoot. As 1K, if I don't CPU at T-96, it's almost impossible to predict what's going to happen. But the odds are usually not good (unless it's one of those flights with a wide-open F cabin, where they don't run a sweep until T-24 . . . in those cases, I usually have a chance).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:29 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm starting to travel more for work so hoping to get status by the end of the year. But I'm curious about this leisure trip coming up:
SFO-FRA June 18 Flight 629 Booked Fare Class H
J9, JN9, C7, D7, Z4, CN4, P1, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O4, ON4, A4, R0, RN0

I'm actually flying from SD to SFO first and have a GPU sponsored from a GS for the whole itinerary. I've already been upgraded for my SD to SFO flight, upgrade still pending for SFO-FRA.
Chances with no status?! Even if its not a polaris upgrade and just P+...? Dreading an 11 hours redeye in economy after working all day. This was my only flight option

Last edited by RNTraveling; Jun 9, 2019 at 12:31 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RNTraveling
I'm starting to travel more for work so hoping to get status by the end of the year. But I'm curious about this leisure trip coming up:
SFO-FRA June 18 Flight 629 Booked Fare Class H
I think you mean UA926.

With a GS GPU applied, you have a chance.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you mean UA926.

With a GS GPU applied, you have a chance.
Oops yep you're on it! 926 Thanks for that

Where does a GPU sponsored by a GS fall in the upgrade hierarchy? I could only find in the GPU FAQs that my upgrade depends on my status not the person who sponsored me's status...
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by RNTraveling
Where does a GPU sponsored by a GS fall in the upgrade hierarchy? I could only find in the GPU FAQs that my upgrade depends on my status not the person who sponsored me's status...
GS upgrades clear into PN. PN opens before PZ, which is the bucket that all non-GS upgrades clear into. That's why you have a chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.