Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old May 4, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by iapetus
Well, as I suspected, it isn't gonna happen for me. Last I checked 23 of 24 F seats were booked and I'm #3 on the list.

Question: Just after I checked in the number of F seats booked jumped from 18 of 24 to 22 of 24 with no additional people showing up as having checked in on the upgrade list; what is the likely cause of this? Is it GSs clearing off the unpublished upgrade priority list?
Maybe some passengers bought the First Class tickets.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, as I suspected, it isn't gonna happen for me. Last I checked 23 of 24 F seats were booked and I'm #3 on the list.

Question: Just after I checked in the number of F seats booked jumped from 18 of 24 to 22 of 24 with no additional people showing up as having checked in on the upgrade list; what is the likely cause of this? Is it GSs clearing off the unpublished upgrade priority list?
Most likely explanation: the system cleared 4 pax who had not checked in immediately. They could be instrument-supported, higher status, or higher fare same status. The list doesn't show upgrades cleared within T-24, it shows upgrades cleared after check-in. They could also be TOD as mentioned, but when it happens all at once it's usually the T-24 CPU sweep down to J2.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe some passengers bought the First Class tickets.
It's possible, I guess ... but the timing seems a little suspect to me.

Originally Posted by fumje
... but when it happens all at once it's usually the T-24 CPU sweep down to J2.
Is this the same as pax clearing off the unpublished upgrade list?
Old May 4, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's possible, I guess ... but the timing seems a little suspect to me.

Is this the same as pax clearing off the unpublished upgrade list?
Yes, everyone clears from the unpublished list until the gate agent starts pushing buttons. Even if you have checked in and then clear, so that you show on the visible list, before about T-2 it is certainly from the unpublished list.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Yes, everyone clears from the unpublished list until the gate agent starts pushing buttons. Even if you have checked in and then clear, so that you show on the visible list, before about T-2 it is certainly from the unpublished list.
Copy. Thanks.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier 1K/*G
Flying UA888 and UA889 on 8/11 and 8/28, respectively. What are my chances of GPUing a K fare into Polaris on these flights?

Also, is the 772 used on this route retrofitted with Polaris? (prob not going to GPU if it's old J)
Old May 4, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by youngnfly
Flying UA888 and UA889 on 8/11 and 8/28, respectively. What are my chances of GPUing a K fare into Polaris on these flights?

Also, is the 772 used on this route retrofitted with Polaris? (prob not going to GPU if it's old J)
The chance is 0 because K fare is not eligible for GPU to Polaris.

The 772 is retrofitted with Polaris seats.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier 1K/*G
The chance is 0 because K fare is not eligible for GPU to Polaris.

The 772 is retrofitted with Polaris seats.

If I end up buying a W fare instead how likely are my chances during that time period? Should I expect a lot of business travellers?
Old May 4, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by youngnfly
If I end up buying a W fare instead how likely are my chances during that time period? Should I expect a lot of business travellers?
At this time it's too early to say, but I'd generically say it's a coin toss. They do mostly fill the cabin with paid business fares, but SFO-PEK is marginally easier than, say, SFO-PVG.

You may want to look into buying R rather than W, which has much higher priority, but there's no guarantee it's economical. I don't pay for a higher fare unless I can confirm at booking.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Is LAS a heavy paid F destination or leisure.

Currently waitlisted for F 7/15 EWR LAS 6:40am.

front fare class showing
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D4
  • Z3
  • ZN3
  • P1
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
Old May 4, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Both.

UA sells a lot of first-class tickets to leisure travelers on routes to/from LAS. They also sell a decent amount to business travelers when there are big conventions in town.
Old May 4, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COEWR2587

Currently waitlisted for F 7/15 EWR LAS 6:40am.
Depends on whether or not a big convention is going on (or several that add up to a large # of conventioneers). July is a slow convention month.

I’d give you better than a 50% chance of clearing at that departure time on a Monday.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:22 pm

Dumb question... I am trying to decide whether to try to use a RPU to upgrade on a flight in two days (haven't requested it yet and says it would be WL).

20 seats in business and 15 sold, acc. to app.

Here are the fare classes/space I see when I search the flight fresh on united.com:

Available fare classes:
  • J5
  • JN5
  • C5
  • D5
  • Z5
  • ZN5
  • P5
  • PN2
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L9
  • K9
  • G9
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X9
Because I don't see any RN space, should I assume there are 0 seats for CPUs to clear if I wanted to gamble on it?

I have a flight on the return that is booked in B (I'm Platinum Premier) but hasn't instant upgrade cleared...that's because those are awarded "space available"...right? United is willing to sell it to me for $300 (sigh).

Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding things...which is entirely possible.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lefleur
Because I don't see any RN space, should I assume there are 0 seats for CPUs to clear if I wanted to gamble on it?
Upgrades (except GS) clear into PZ.

What's the route? Are you past T-48?
Old May 5, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Upgrades (except GS) clear into PZ.

What's the route? Are you past T-48?
PHL-SFO, and yes.

I just checked again and it's offering me buy-up ($310) into First for this flight too (sorry, should have said it was first, not biz...this flight offers first I guess..but you got my gist) and still says CPU requested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.