Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knlprez
I was searching other routes, and noticed a connection ORD-SFO-SIN showing P7, when the SFO-SIN non stop does not. See images. I'm guessing this is a fluke? If not I'm going to book, those inventory levels look pretty good.
It's not a fluke; it's just a matter of married segment availability. UA is willing to sell a P fare on ORD-(SFO)-SIN but not on SFO-SIN. It may be indicative of lighter load, but not necessarily. Absent an IT error, UA won't open PZ space on SFO-SIN unless they first open P space on SFO-SIN.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:10 pm

Great, thanks for the info! Doesn't sound like they will open PZ on the second segment of ORD-SFO-SIN before SFO-SIN, so I'll look at the second option as it's a much more convenient routing being based in DEN.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Debating whether to pay $100/person to update my wife’s parents on PVG-EWR this Sunday and apply a GPU. Current fare buckets show 8 available for all J buckets except for P7 (PN, PZ and IN/I=0). They are general members. Any idea of how close-in buying on this route goes and if it’s worth the gamble?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Debating whether to pay $100/person to update my wife’s parents on PVG-EWR this Sunday and apply a GPU. Current fare buckets show 8 available for all J buckets except for P7 (PN, PZ and IN/I=0). They are general members. Any idea of how close-in buying on this route goes and if it’s worth the gamble?
The only thing I know is that last year on a PVG-ORD flight on a Q fare with a GPU applied and at T-24 Polaris Business was sold 32/40, I did not get the upgrade. As a 1K I was #1 on the upgrade list from time of check-in to the time of boarding.

The flight on Sunday Polaris Business is sold 41/50. I suspect that there are some higher status passengers already on the waitlist and also that some seats might disappear to TODs.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The only thing I know is that last year on a PVG-ORD flight on a Q fare with a GPU applied and at T-24 Polaris Business was sold 32/40, I did not get the upgrade. As a 1K I was #1 on the upgrade list from time of check-in to the time of boarding.

The flight on Sunday Polaris Business is sold 41/50. I suspect that there are some higher status passengers already on the waitlist and also that some seats might disappear to TODs.
That’s good color. I’ll keep an eye out and sit on it for now until the US day turns and they update fare buckets.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The big question is whether 1Ks have been upgraded already. But I would also be hesitant to invest at 41/50.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The big question is whether 1Ks have been upgraded already. But I would also be hesitant to invest at 41/50.
Down to J6 now...seems unlikely.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all

my fiancé and I are due to fly SYD-YYC next Sunday Apr 28. Currently the fare is ticketed in G class, and is a horrible routing YYC-IAH-ORD-YYC (don’t ask, long story). Normally, I never ever play the upgrade lottery but looking at the loads on both the SYD-IAH and SYD-SFO flights that day, as well as the awful routing (W fare making it more likely to get a SDC through SFO) make me wonder whether we should do it.

Im guessing this will probably be an expensive shot at an upgrade with such a close in change to the fare, so I thought I should get the ft community’s thoughts on whether we have a good shot or not. When I looked a few moments ago the SYD-IAH flight was P9 PN4.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by david_oz
Im guessing this will probably be an expensive shot at an upgrade with such a close in change to the fare, so I thought I should get the ft community’s thoughts on whether we have a good shot or not. When I looked a few moments ago the SYD-IAH flight was P9 PN4.
Booked 33/48, and PN4 is obviously a positive. But my basic rule is don't pay extra to waitlist, only to confirm. This might be a good scenario for waitlisting the MP upgrade.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:13 pm

Booked 33/48, and PN4 is obviously a positive. But my basic rule is don't pay extra to waitlist, only to confirm. This might be a good scenario for waitlisting the MP upgrade.
thanks. How did you see the exact loads on that flight even though it’s a week out??
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by david_oz
thanks. How did you see the exact loads on that flight even though it’s a week out??
try https://www.cablepick.net/united
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:04 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
UA 1016 on Monday, SFO-IAD. B fare on a 738.

I'm not holding my breath. 2 seats left, a Monday, and with me checked in more than 24 hours out, sure, I'm #1 , but I expect that to drop significantly come later today and tomorrow as others check in (I may be the only person checked in at the moment based on that list...).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:28 am

thanks. We ended up taking the shot. It was C$1000 to upfare both of us to W, and we both have GPUs which might otherwise go unutilized this year. This is the first time in about 3 years I have played the upgrade lottery. Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Apologies in advance if I'm stated anything wrong, first time doing this. My flight is already booked so no changing at this point, although I've read a lot that will help me next time I do something like this.
No status, Fare is G.

UA 870 SYD to SFO on 5/31:

37 of 48 are booked right now.
PZ is 0
J/JN are 6.

I submitted a MP waitlist upgrade. Any ideas on odds of an upgrade? Mostly curious. It was totally worth the gamble based on the cost in miles and copay vs the bought upgrade and if it doesn't work nothing lost.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mloradites
37 of 48 are booked right now.
PZ is 0
J/JN are 6.
When you're searching for inventory for upgrade purposes, you have to search just the flight you're interested in. It's actually J9 JN9 C3 D0, not J6. J6 would indicate a substantial oversell over the economy cabin. J9, unfortunately, does not.

Your odds of clearing are very low. With only 11 seats for sale this far away from departure, there's a good chance UA sells most or all of those seats. If there are any seats available at check-in, you may get an upgrade offer. Any upgrades that do occur -- and it's likely there will be none -- will be prioritized by status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.