Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Thanks. I did notice the Polaris cabin has a lot of empty space, so would the chances perhaps improve if more PE passengers get upgraded to J first?
Yes. We don't know how many of those PE pax are also waitlisted for the J upgrade.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. We don't know how many of those PE pax are also waitlisted for the J upgrade.
I couldn't help noticing that some PE fares are very attractive (pretty much what a W fare would have costed in the past). I'm assuming that all PE fares are upgrade-eligible for Polaris, correct? If yes, I would bet that many will buy PE (especially if booking well ahead of the departure date) to put in upgrades for Polaris..... based on what I have seen, I would do it, especially knowing that if I didn't clear, I would have a decent seat for a long flight.

Will be interesting to see how many of these people upgrade out of PE and open seats up.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I couldn't help noticing that some PE fares are very attractive (pretty much what a W fare would have costed in the past). I'm assuming that all PE fares are upgrade-eligible for Polaris, correct?.
Surprisingly, yes, all PE fares are eligible for a GPU (or a miles + copay upgrade). I expected UA to match LH and exclude deep discount PE (R class), but they did not.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have 2 pax, one on a paid W fare (me) and other on an award fare on ORD-NRT (3/30; UA881) and NRT-ORD (4/13; UA882). Both have GS GPUs waitlisted.

Both flights have the weird hybrid 772 seat map which might have premium economy seats in row 20–22. Outbound inventory is C7D3ZN1P0; return is P9PN0.

This is my first time ever to Japan so I have no experience with the Saturday loads. Looks like I have better odds on the return, but maybe that’s just because it’s farther away.

What are the odds of my upgrade clearing? And what are the odds of getting a Polaris / Premium economy bird? I still have never gotten to try a Polaris seat 😀
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond
Hi all,

I wanted to ask for advice on using GPUs for my upcoming business trips between YUL and MUC/FRA.

For my first trip I'm looking for Friday Apr 6th or Sat Apr 7th from YUL to MUC, and return FRA-YUL Apr 24 (Wed) or 25 (Thu). I looked with the Advanced page (expert mode) on United and selected upgrade type (GPU) and found some instant upgrades earliest Apr 5th (Thur). But all these routes are through the US hubs and a bit too early. Also doesn't include direct YUL-MUC LH options.

Few questions:
  1. Any idea how to find availability for instant upgrades on LH flights?
  2. For the UA US hubs GPU wait-list, how can I tell my chances of having availability for travel. If it doesn't clear a day in advance, would the 1K desk help me move it on another segment hopefully with upgrade space? Any advice how to choose a waitlist that hopefully would open up?
Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ttyl
Any idea how to find availability for instant upgrades on LH flights?
You can't. Anything with I space is a very likely bet though.

For the UA US hubs GPU wait-list, how can I tell my chances of having availability for travel. If it doesn't clear a day in advance, would the 1K desk help me move it on another segment hopefully with upgrade space? Any advice how to choose a waitlist that hopefully would open up?Thanks for the help.
General a holistic approach combining day, route, and inventory: PN9 is going to be the next best thing to a confirmable upgrade. You can certainly change to a different routing, but expect to pay the change fee unless the change is eligible for SDC.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Any idea how to find availability for instant upgrades on LH flights?.....
There is a focused thread discussing Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)
and the thread's wiki is a good place to start.

.... For the UA US hubs GPU wait-list, how can I tell my chances of having availability for travel. If it doesn't clear a day in advance, would the 1K desk help me move it on another segment hopefully with upgrade space? Any advice how to choose a waitlist that hopefully would open up?.....
You will need to do most of the work and use SDC to avoid change fees. In reality, move about only make sense if there is conformable space. Otherwise, you are likely to end up in a worst seat and still not upgraded. Upgrades are very depended on have a lot of flexibility, pick off peak times and are far from a certainty on most routes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:02 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
You can certainly change to a different routing, but expect to pay the change fee unless the change is eligible for SDC.
And any difference in fare, which could be considerable, especially on the outbound, because it will reprice the ticket using a no-advance-purchase fare.

Flights operated by LH are not eligible for SDC, although some agents may do it anyway when moving to UA-operated flights.

If there is LH I space, I'd probably book the LH flight and then hold my breath. If not, I'd probably bite the bullet and transit the US if there are confirmable upgrades in advance.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks all for quick feedback.

Originally Posted by findark
You can't. Anything with I space is a very likely bet though.

General a holistic approach combining day, route, and inventory: PN9 is going to be the next best thing to a confirmable upgrade.
I did a quick search, and unfortunately none of them have PN inventory for 06 or 07 Apr
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by catahoulafriend
Folks, quick question: I’m considering booking UA 8 (CTU - Chengdu, China - to SFO) on May 8 (Wednesday). I’m curious is anyone has any experience on upgrades clearing for this flight, in particular, midweek, when one could expect a business light flight. Downside is that it’s a 787-8 with only 36 Polaris seats. I’m considering booking V class for added padding. Thoughts? Experiences? Thank you for your feedback!!
This worked out, I was notified over the weekend (I’ll post details in the appropriate thread). I’ve been tracking this route and it’s loads rigorously. It seems as though it could be the easiest upgrade in the system! In fact I’m nervous UA could abandon CTU as a nonstop destination. There does not seem to be a lot of demand in either Polaris or economy cabins.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by catahoulafriend
It seems as though it could be the easiest upgrade in the system!
It may well be. Probably easiest SFO route (ahead of KIX, HND, and ICN).
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Looking for some advice, as I’m unable to see the best option.

Flying CUN>IAH>LHR on Saturday (March 30th) IAH>LHR UA5 is showing J1 T-55 and I have myself and a companion waitlisted with a GPU on a W fare. (I’m 1K, they are GM).

Pretty much know this is a lost cause, and I’m not really interested in only one of us being upgraded and losing the GPU. The girlfriend will obviously get the seat, but now I have uneven amount of GPUs and we can’t use a GPU for a trip and enjoy the seat together (she isn’t as frequent a flyer and 1 or 2 trips a year in Polaris is something we both really enjoy).

I can find PZ out of EWR and IAD that evening, but all the flights from CUN have no W, and are generally sold in Y with J open.

Will a sympathetic phone agent ever clear us right up front on the CUN>EWR/IAD flight even if our W isn’t available?

Are there any options I may have missed?

Am I best to just cancel the GPU ahead of T-24, keep the current routing and hope the CPU clears on the CUN>IAH flight which is currently upgraded via GPU?

Any thoughts appreciated!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hagan73
Will a sympathetic phone agent ever clear us right up front on the CUN>EWR/IAD flight even if our W isn’t available?
If there is PZ space, maybe, although the agent would be breaking the rules to do so. If there is no PZ space, almost certainly not, but that same rule-breaking agent could potentially put you into Y on the CUN-EWR or CUN-IAD flight. (Note that what you really need is W space on CUN-LHR; due to married segment availability, this may be different than W space on CUN-EWR or CUN-IAD by itself).

It's worth calling to ask, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I'd just keep monitoring the inventory to see if things improve.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Hi FT Gurus,

Kind of stuck here -

SFO - TPE - SFO - Looks like P9 PN0 PZ0 on 4/21 and same on 4/26 coming back. Have 2 GPUs applied - non flexible booking days unfortunately (might be able to move to 4/25), but can't do 4/27 as leaving LAX - NRT that day.

How does the space look for those who know how to read the tea leaves! Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
OK, so not great at this and other may correct me but here is my 2 cents. With P9 they are reducing pricing on Biz tickets. That is a popular route AND out of SFO so that works against you. The flight is less than a month out but will sell down (probably people grabbing the cheaper P fares). I am going to say a 33% chance. Open to correction so let see what the real gurus have to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.