Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
okay, so I need to look for a flight that shows PN5-PN9 and then I have a better chance to get an upgrade?
Well, only insofar as knowing there are no GS customers currently waiting for upgrades. At least you know the upgrade list (if there is one) contains, at best, 1Ks.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:34 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Well, only insofar as knowing there are no GS customers currently waiting for upgrades. At least you know the upgrade list (if there is one) contains, at best, 1Ks.
Got it, I now see a flight from AMS to IAD that has PN9 and also there is a green sign that shows upgrades available. Everywhere I see PN0 it shows a yellow sign with upgrade waitlist. So when I book a flight with the green sign upgrades available, may these upgrades clear soon after booking?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Got it, I now see a flight from AMS to IAD that has PN9 and also there is a green sign that shows upgrades available. Everywhere I see PN0 it shows a yellow sign with upgrade waitlist. So when I book a flight with the green sign upgrades available, may these upgrades clear soon after booking?
Does it show PZ>0?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If PZ > 0, your upgrade would clear immediately, and that's probably what you're seeing, as that's what the green arrow should mean.
PN space is available for GS upgrades. People have suggested looking for PN > 0 as a tiebreaker for the (frequent) case where PZ=0 everywhere. If PZ > 0, you don't care what the PN value is; that's the flight you want.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:56 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Does it show PZ>0?
It shows PZ7, what does this mean?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It shows PZ7, what does this mean?
It means PZ>0 (because 7>0) and you will clear immediately upon applying an upgrade certificate.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:59 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by jsloan
If PZ > 0, your upgrade would clear immediately, and that's probably what you're seeing, as that's what the green arrow should mean.
PN space is available for GS upgrades. People have suggested looking for PN > 0 as a tiebreaker for the (frequent) case where PZ=0 everywhere. If PZ > 0, you don't care what the PN value is; that's the flight you want.
Thanks, I'm just looking for flights where I see the green sign for upgrades available, and yes on every flight with that green sign it shows PZ>0. Then I also will book all 3 passengers on one reservation, because these upgrades will clear immediately.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I'm just looking for flights where I see the green sign for upgrades available, and yes on every flight with that green sign it shows PZ>0. Then I also will book all 3 passengers on one reservation, because these upgrades will clear immediately.
Perfect.

It's probably obvious, but just to be 100% clear, for three passengers, you're really looking for PZ >= 3. (The PZ7 flight you mentioned is perfect. . If you were to book a flight with, for example, PZ=2, you could split the reservation after booking so that two passengers could be upgraded, but the third would be waitlisted. Calling the 1K desk can help in that situation.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:11 am
formerly Goflyer100

Perfect.

It's probably obvious, but just to be 100% clear, for three passengers, you're really looking for PZ >= 3. (The PZ7 flight you mentioned is perfect. . If you were to book a flight with, for example, PZ=2, you could split the reservation after booking so that two passengers could be upgraded, but the third would be waitlisted. Calling the 1K desk can help in that situation.
Thanks a ton! I just booked the flights: It's gonna be BRU-MAN-EWR-MAD-BRU (old business class on Boeing 767 but I prefer that over economy plus on the 787) and my upgrades directly cleared, we could choose our business class seats right away.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I still don't understand why there is a 764 on MAN-EWR, but it produces so much award space I can't complain
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:47 am

Chances of an upgrade on UA 58, 03/08/19? Using a GPU as 1k Fare Class: Q

Last edited by userjeff; Feb 28, 2019 at 9:49 am Reason: including fare class
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by userjeff
Chances of an upgrade on UA 58, 03/08/19? Using a GPU as 1k Fare Class: Q
Hope for weather.

It's booked 53/60 on the flight status page (oddly, they're still selling J8). The chances are excellent that they'll sell a few more of those, or people will change from the later flight, and then they'll probably get a taker or two on TODs. You're behind every GS, although with a Q fare you're likely ahead of many 1Ks.

Overall, I'd say it doesn't look good unless there are a few misconnects.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's booked 53/60 on the flight status page (oddly, they're still selling J8).
They've been overbooking J by 1 on SFO-FRA for a while.. it is indeed pretty weird.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Flight is PN4 so GS have already cleared.

Still behind all 1Ks, and there are probably at least a dozen of those, with only 8 J seats. So I do agree not likely to clear unless there are a bunch of misconnects.
Good point; I read that as P4 originally. PN4 is a better sign.

I expect they'll sell most, if not all, of the 8 additional seats between now and Friday morning, though, either through new purchases or as TODs.
Update: I was offered a TOD for $652 on check-in and accepted.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brennan Vincent
Update: I was offered a TOD for $652 on check-in and accepted.
Considering that the flight is now down to J1 -- only one seat left -- I'd say that was your only chance to get up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.