Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:34 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
GPUs can clear anytime between the time of booking to the time that you are already sitting in your Economy + seat.

If you are 3 passengers in your reservation, if they release 1 or 2 PZ at any time until check-in your group of 3 will be bypassed in favor of the next passenger on the upgrade waiting list traveling alone (PZ1) or traveling with only one companion (PZ2). After check-in, I think that they separate the PNR and then yes 1 or 2 of your group might get the upgrade and the rest will be in Economy + or if you are lucky all 3 get upgraded.

Have you checked how many business class seats are already sold on your flight? And what are the fare codes available? If you see a high number for PN (like PN5 to PN9), then there are higher chances that they open some PZ.
Thanks for the information. I see on both transatlantic legs 34 of 44 seats in business class are available. Based on that, how big is the chance that these upgrades will be cleared? If I want to be more sure to get upgraded to business class myself, would you suggest to book my flight on a separate reservation? And can the other 2 passengers still use my GPUs on their reservation? And where can I check the fare codes available and the number of PN, on the united site when I make a reservation?

Last edited by Upon Boarding; Feb 27, 2019 at 5:40 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Thanks for the information. I see on both transatlantic legs 34 of 44 seats in business class are available. Based on that, how big is the chance that these upgrades will be cleared? If I want to be more sure to get upgraded to business class myself, would you suggest to book my flight on a separate reservation? And can the other 2 passengers still use my GPUs on their reservation? And where can I check the fare codes available and the number of PN, on the united site when I make a reservation?
Yes, you can book your trip on different PNRs and still apply your GPUs to their flights. You just need their Last name and PNR to do it.

To check the fare classes, you enable Expert Mode in your United Mileage Plus account. Then when you look for flights you have to be signed in and next to all the flights choices you see "Details" and "Seats": click on "Details".

To enable Expert Mode, you go to your account, you go to your profile and then select search preferences. You acknowledge theses considerations and choose to enable Expert Mode. Click on Save.

For the number of seats available did you just look at the map or looked at the www.cablepick.net/United which would give you the real number?

If PZ=0, I was suggesting to look at PN as sometimes they do open PZ when PN is high (you will need PZ>0 to be able to upgrade). You have to look at the fares on the FRA-EWR and EWR-FRA segments.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Feb 27, 2019 at 7:32 am Reason: Add information
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
3/14 Thursday UA 134 EWR-ZRH
3/23 Saturday UA 135 ZRH-EWR

Using GS GPU. At this point PN=0

What are the chances of upgrade clearing?

Never flown this route before.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
3/14 Thursday UA 134 EWR-ZRH
3/23 Saturday UA 135 ZRH-EWR

Using GS GPU. At this point PN=0

What are the chances of upgrade clearing?

Never flown this route before.
Have had great luck on WLs for this route.
​​​​​​
Looking at the dates, Id suggest if still possible to change the return flight to Sunday which is currently at P4, your WL will likely clear after a few days.

PS. ZRH-EWR The lounge is next door to the gate, and they usually (IME) close boarding early, agent came to vall us from the lounge

The GS staff there are really nice.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:18 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Yes, you can book your trip on different PNRs and still apply your GPUs to their flights. You just need their Last name and PNR to do it.

To check the fare classes, you enable Expert Mode in your United Mileage Plus account. Then when you look for flights you have to be signed in and next to all the flights choices you see "Details" and "Seats": click on "Details".

To enable Expert Mode, you go to your account, you go to your profile and then select search preferences. You acknowledge theses considerations and choose to enable Expert Mode. Click on Save.

For the number of seats available did you just look at the map or looked at the www.cablepick.net/United which would give you the real number?

If PZ=0, I was suggesting to look at PN as sometimes they do open PZ when PN is high (you will need PZ>0 to be able to upgrade). You have to look at the fares on the FRA-EWR and EWR-FRA segments.
Thanks, I guess that I, as a 1k, have more chances to be upgraded than the other 2 passengers. And they will be recognized as a passenger without status right, so not under me as a 1K?

I have enabled Expert Mode and now I see that the fare class is W.

First I had a look a the seat map at the united.com but now I checked cablepick.com and I see that on the flight from FRA to EWR, there are 14 of the 44 seats booked in business class and on the flight from EWR to FRA, 16 of the 44 seats are booked. But how I can find the PN over there?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks, I guess that I, as a 1k, have more chances to be upgraded than the other 2 passengers. And they will be recognized as a passenger without status right, so not under me as a 1K?

I have enabled Expert Mode and now I see that the fare class is W.

First I had a look a the seat map at the united.com but now I checked cablepick.com and I see that on the flight from FRA to EWR, there are 14 of the 44 seats booked in business class and on the flight from EWR to FRA, 16 of the 44 seats are booked. But how I can find the PN over there?
You should be able to see all the fare classes with the Expert Mode when you click on "Details". Under the flight number there is "Wi-Fi" and "Power outlets". Under that there is: "Available Fare Classes" with the whole list.

For example: on April 19, FRA-EWR is J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z6 ZN6 P0 PN0 PZ0, etc. The fact that it's P0 is not a good sign. But that flight is on a Friday and weekends are harder for the upgrades. That was just an example as I don't know your travel day.

Yes, if you book your PNR alone you increase your chances but your companions on other PNRs will be further down the waiting list if they have no status so less chances for them.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Feb 27, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:34 pm

EWR to SFO at 11 AM this friday. I'm Plat and using an RPU. Fare class is K.

J8 JN8 C8 D8 Z7 ZN7 P7 PN4 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

Do I have any chance? I'm a bit of a beginner to this stuff so I have trouble interpreting what all these fare classes mean.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brennan Vincent
Do I have any chance?
Realistically, not much of one unless there are a lot of missed connections. It's likely that every GS, 1K, and Platinum on the plane has used an upgrade instrument on this flight, and you'd be behind almost all of them.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Realistically, not much of one unless there are a lot of missed connections. It's likely that every GS, 1K, and Platinum on the plane has used an upgrade instrument on this flight, and you'd be behind almost all of them.
Any idea what my chances are of getting a TOD offer? Or would that be a better question for a different thread?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Have had great luck on WLs for this route.
​​​​​​
Looking at the dates, Id suggest if still possible to change the return flight to Sunday which is currently at P4, your WL will likely clear after a few days.

PS. ZRH-EWR The lounge is next door to the gate, and they usually (IME) close boarding early, agent came to vall us from the lounge

The GS staff there are really nice.

Return is 3/23 Saturday J7 C0, can't switch to Sunday due to schedule constraint.

Business class fares for EWR-ZRH are really high: $8,000+ round trip and $6,000 one-way, even when Z and P are available.
UA doesn't sell them.

Just hope few days before departure UA opens up PN inventory. Outbound Thursday 3/14 looks better.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Flight is PN4 so GS have already cleared.

Still behind all 1Ks, and there are probably at least a dozen of those, with only 8 J seats. So I do agree not likely to clear unless there are a bunch of misconnects.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Flight is PN4 so GS have already cleared.

Still behind all 1Ks, and there are probably at least a dozen of those, with only 8 J seats. So I do agree not likely to clear unless there are a bunch of misconnects.
Good point; I read that as P4 originally. PN4 is a better sign.

I expect they'll sell most, if not all, of the 8 additional seats between now and Friday morning, though, either through new purchases or as TODs.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:08 pm
formerly Goflyer100

You should be able to see all the fare classes with the Expert Mode when you click on "Details". Under the flight number there is "Wi-Fi" and "Power outlets". Under that there is: "Available Fare Classes" with the whole list.

For example: on April 19, FRA-EWR is J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z6 ZN6 P0 PN0 PZ0, etc. The fact that it's P0 is not a good sign. But that flight is on a Friday and weekends are harder for the upgrades. That was just an example as I don't know your travel day.

Yes, if you book your PNR alone you increase your chances but your companions on other PNRs will be further down the waiting list if they have no status so less chances for them.
These are the fare codes I found for FRA-EWR, we're traveling on April 18: Available fare classes: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P3, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O9, ON9, A7, R4, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V8, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N9, XN0, X0. And these are for EWR-FRA on April 22: J9, JN9, C9, D8, Z7, ZN7, P0, PN0, PZ0, IN0, I0, O9, ON9, A0, R0, RN0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H6, HN6, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N9, XN0, X0

So on the FRA-EWR leg I see P3, is that a good sign that it can be upgraded soon? For the leg EWR-FRA I see P0 so I probably will look for another flight to fly back to Europe that shows not P0.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...So on the FRA-EWR leg I see P3, is that a good sign that it can be upgraded soon?...
No, not almost 2 months out. Additionally, PN0 means GSs might be waitlisted.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:23 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

No, not almost 2 months out. Additionally, PN0 means GSs might be waitlisted.
okay, so I need to look for a flight that shows PN5-PN9 and then I have a better chance to get an upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.