Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
buy-up went back down to $216 with 2 seats remaining, so bit the bullet
I would have done that too. Low odds you would have cleared the upgrade. Probably close to zero.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would have done that too. Low odds you would have cleared the upgrade. Probably close to zero.
yeah - just checked again and now booked “FULL”. Feeling validated (but also annoyed RPU didn’t clear).
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
yeah - just checked again and now booked “FULL”. Feeling validated (but also annoyed RPU didn’t clear).
They're selling them. It's just a different ballgame now.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hollandair
Applied a GPU on IAH-SCL leaving tomorrow. I am Premier Gold and it is a B-fare.
24 out of 30 seats are currently sold.

J5 JN5 C5 D5 Z5 ZN5 P5 PN2 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

PN2 means no GS and full-fare 1K's are standing by for upgrade correct? any chance for me?
I see that the upgrade list is quite long. When you checked in did you get a TOD offer?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:28 pm
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
899$ for direct upgrade, I’m not with the first 5 on the upgrade list so it’s gonna be in the back :-(
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hollandair
899$ for direct upgrade, I’m not with the first 5 on the upgrade list so it’s gonna be in the back :-(
I would say that that offer is in the normal range but is bad since it seemed that you had paid a high fare. After missing an upgrade on a long haul international flying on the weekend, I started flying middle of the week. All travel for work but I do have some flexibility on days of travel for work and take care of the family side by bringing my wife with me on those trips.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by LarrySinNJ
Yes it is a 767-400ER. The outbound is currently showing 13 FC seats not assigned (down from 23 two days ago), and now PN9 and PZ7. Again, I'm Platinum (wife has no status), and our 72 hr window starts 8:30AM tomorrow.
And the upgrade cleared for both of us on the outbound!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UAL Plat, SPG/Marriott Gold
EWR - BOM

Waitlisted for EWR-BOM on Feb 17. Currently business is booked 28/60 3 weeks out. Any idea what my chances are?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2019 at 9:09 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm flying from IAD to NRT in approximately 2 weeks, flight 803 midweek. E+ looks wide open now.

Availability is: J9; JN9; C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN5 PZ2 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9

I'm Premier Silver, flying on H Class ticket. Any hope that I may score an automatic upgrade to Polaris, or is this a total pipe dream? Buy up is 30K miles + 450 bucks. Not sure that's worth it to me.

Nevermind - answered my own question here: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...POS=US#regions - Japan doesn't apply to complimentary upgrades.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:12 pm Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monkeybizness
Nevermind - answered my own question here: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...POS=US#regions - Japan doesn't apply to complimentary upgrades.
Correct.

Note that the PN class that you highlighted is only available for Global Services upgrades. Everyone else clears into PZ. The fact that the flight is PZ2 means that a miles + copay upgrade would clear immediately, if you were to decide that it was worth the $450 + 30K miles. In general, though, most people agree with your sentiment that it's not a great value.

You may get a buy-up offer during check-in. Other than that, the only way you'd be upgraded is if Economy were oversold and all higher-status members had already been bumped up. As a Silver, the chances of that are essentially zero.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct.

Note that the PN class that you highlighted is only available for Global Services upgrades. Everyone else clears into PZ. The fact that the flight is PZ2 means that a miles + copay upgrade would clear immediately, if you were to decide that it was worth the $450 + 30K miles. In general, though, most people agree with your sentiment that it's not a great value.

You may get a buy-up offer during check-in. Other than that, the only way you'd be upgraded is if Economy were oversold and all higher-status members had already been bumped up. As a Silver, the chances of that are essentially zero.
I guess it all perspective but $450 and 30K miles for a 14 hour flight, I would be all over that. Perhaps easy for me to say as at the moment I am swimming in miles.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Agreed, 14 hour flight (15 hours seat time) and a guaranteed upgrade, I would definitely do it at that price.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I am not sure if this has ever been covered, but I have noted that the CPU's have decreased substantially in the last year or two. However, I noticed a data point today, I am sure someone else has brought this up before, but never heard if there was a consensus on this or why they are doing it. I had 5 co-worked on the 12:30 DEN/MSP flight today. Each one of them is Platinum or higher and cleared this week. However, the Upgrade list shows that there were no upgrades given out. I have assumed that this is a way to make lesser status holders feel better about their status or to help monetize the TOD's. Was this ever discussed anywhere?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:03 pm

I just had a CPU clear for ORD-DEN on Monday. Wasn’t even paying attention/expecting it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.