Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastFan
I can otherwise monitor for R>0 via ExpertFlyer and then remove and immediately re-apply the upgrade request, correct?
R inventory is not available via ExpertFlyer. You can activate expert mode and search UA manually; I'm afraid there's no easier way.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This was the craziest I have ever seen ... yesterday, wife and MIL on ORD-JAC. They were #8 and #9 ... and a paid F ticket with ORD-JAC waitlisted since the booking class was not available at the time of purchase. And yes, there were 7 (!) on a higher fare class also waiting for a confirmed seat in F. Holy cow! They were #1/2 as expected on another segment, so I know this was coded correctly. Unreal, forget clearing upgrades if you are down at #8 /9 with paid F!
On the plus side the 'P-class requested' is now translating to the airport waitlist correctly ... that's a plus.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
R inventory is not available via ExpertFlyer. You can activate expert mode and search UA manually; I'm afraid there's no easier way.
Yes - expert mode on United's website. It's already enabled and is part of my daily routine. Clearly I'm no expert yet in keeping the different tools straight in my mind.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cfischer
This was the craziest I have ever seen ... yesterday, wife and MIL on ORD-JAC. They were #8 and #9 ... and a paid F ticket with ORD-JAC waitlisted since the booking class was not available at the time of purchase. And yes, there were 7 (!) on a higher fare class also waiting for a confirmed seat in F. Holy cow! They were #1/2 as expected on another segment, so I know this was coded correctly. Unreal, forget clearing upgrades if you are down at #8 /9 with paid F!
On the plus side the 'P-class requested' is now translating to the airport waitlist correctly ... that's a plus.
What status? I'm skeptical this was PR-1 instead of the Wxx codes, which would rank the same as an RPU.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:43 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
What are the odds for the following flights using a GPU
added the availability, though I think it would not say too much because its over 4 months out...?

Saturday morning flight on 777-200 BRU-IAD on B-fare being a Premier Gold F0FN0A0ON0O0J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN9R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9 E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S9T0L0K0G0N9XN2X0
Saturday evening flight on 767-300 IAH-SCL on B-fare being a Premier Gold J9JN9C9D8Z0ZN0P0PN0R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN0Q9V 0W0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0
Thanks for your thoughts

Last edited by Hollandair; Sep 3, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hollandair
What are the odds for the following flights using a GPU
added the availability, though I think it would not say too much because its over 4 months out...?

Saturday morning flight on 777-200 BRU-IAD on B-fare being a Premier Gold F0FN0A0ON0O0J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN9R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9 E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W9S9T0L0K0G0N9XN2X0
Saturday evening flight on 767-300 IAH-SCL on B-fare being a Premier Gold J9JN9C9D8Z0ZN0P0PN0R0RN0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN0Q9V 0W0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0
Thanks for your thoughts
Weekends? I would choose a midweek to increase my chances.

PN9 from BRU means that they might open some R. Might even happen tomorrow but we don't know if there are other passengers in the waitlist.

4 months out to SCL, makes it straight into high season. Less chances.

Have you checked how many seats are sold in Business for those flights? since you are not saying the dates, visit the: www.cablepick.net/united website and check it.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:38 pm
Used to be guidogh

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Weekends? I would choose a midweek to increase my chances.

PN9 from BRU means that they might open some R. Might even happen tomorrow but we don't know if there are other passengers in the waitlist.

4 months out to SCL, makes it straight into high season. Less chances.

Have you checked how many seats are sold in Business for those flights? since you are not saying the dates, visit the: www.cablepick.net/united website and check it.
BRU-IAD 1 seat from 40 sold so far
IAH-SCL 4 seats from 30 sold so far
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hollandair
BRU-IAD 1 seat from 40 sold so far
IAH-SCL 4 seats from 30 sold so far
FWIW, when I saw PN7 and PN5 and R0 on two of my flights for this November, I was not too surprised when some days later, both my upgrades cleared. So, hopefully it will happen for you too.

IAH-SCL, I would make sure you have your preferred Economy + seats as I see that upgrade more difficult. Although I would make sure I have that too for BRU-IAD as you never know what might happen 4 months from now.

Hopefully, you are only one passenger on the PNR (passenger name record) as they tend to open 1R at a time. If you are two or more, they tend to bypass you and upgrade the waitlisted passenger that is alone.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:13 pm
Used to be guidogh

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
FWIW, when I saw PN7 and PN5 and R0 on two of my flights for this November, I was not too surprised when some days later, both my upgrades cleared. So, hopefully it will happen for you too.

IAH-SCL, I would make sure you have your preferred Economy + seats as I see that upgrade more difficult. Although I would make sure I have that too for BRU-IAD as you never know what might happen 4 months from now.

Hopefully, you are only one passenger on the PNR (passenger name record) as they tend to open 1R at a time. If you are two or more, they tend to bypass you and upgrade the waitlisted passenger that is alone.
Thanks, Yes I have the best seat in the E+ house :-) and I'm alone on the PNR, so let us hope and see. Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:45 pm

EWR-BOM on 9/9

What are my chances? 1K on a Y fare, using miles...

As of today: J9 JN9 C9 D8 Z6 ZN6 P4 PN0 R0 RN0
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by amdgnyc
What are my chances? 1K on a Y fare, using miles...

As of today: J9 JN9 C9 D8 Z6 ZN6 P4 PN0 R0 RN0
37/50 seats sold, 13 remain
Traveling on Sunday, peak travel day and the first full week after Labor Day Holiday
You will be at the top of the 1K list but GS could be on the wait list. Late purchases and cash upgrades are common.

Probably you will be sweating this out till the day of travel and if upgraded will be among the last.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I'm 1K and flying next Friday September 14th EWR-FRA UA 960 on a Q fare. Yesterday it was at J9 today its J6 but its showing more than 6 seats open. I was hoping with J9 yesterday that my odds were good but I'm not so sure now.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by mike2003242
I'm 1K and flying next Friday September 14th EWR-FRA UA 960 on a Q fare. Yesterday it was at J9 today its J6 but its showing more than 6 seats open. I was hoping with J9 yesterday that my odds were good but I'm not so sure now.
Business is sold 32/39. Does not look too good. I would avoid Fridays or weekends in general. I know it's not so easy to do when traveling for work but to and from Germany I had more upgrade success mid-weeks and most often I clear some weeks or months before the flights.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mike2003242
I was hoping with J9 yesterday that my odds were good but I'm not so sure now.
J is not an inventory bucket that tells us much of anything about upgrade odds. P and PN availability are good indicators, Z0 ZN0 are negative indicators. Beyond that, bookings is a much more informative figure than the J inventory number.

I would agree with StuckinITH, this one is not great odds with 32/39 booked (though not hopeless). Friday night in September is always going to be tough.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: MillagePlus
Originally Posted by Kacee
J is not an inventory bucket that tells us much of anything about upgrade odds. P and PN availability are good indicators, Z0 ZN0 are negative indicators. Beyond that, bookings is a much more informative figure than the J inventory number.

I would agree with StuckinITH, this one is not great odds with 32/39 booked (though not hopeless). Friday night in September is always going to be tough.
Is this because the lower the fare bucket available, the more likely they are to open R space? So, Z0 is bad because if they feel no need to open up deep discount buckets, they are less likely to ever open R space? As the flight gets closer with unsold inventory, do they typically start going up the alphabet in terms of cheaper buckets or is it totally route dependent?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.