Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by travelnoob8000
ooh - thanks! So does my status not help her chances at all? She doesn't have any status yet, and I just double checked and her economy ticket is V class. Will look into upgrading her to E+ right now...

Right now PN and R are both at 0, but our flight isn't until October
It seems to me that you cannot be on the same reservation if one passenger is in Business and the other is in Economy but I might be wrong. If your reservations is on the same reservation number (PNR), she can get an Economy + seat for free at check-in. Did you purchase your tickets together and then somehow you upgraded yours?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:42 pm

I bought my ticket, and then hers on a separate reservation. I was planning to call to see if the two itineraries could be linked (which I think I read somewhere was a thing that could be done)
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I bought my ticket, and then hers on a separate reservation. I was planning to call to see if the two itineraries could be linked (which I think I read somewhere was a thing that could be done)
At least with a V fare she will be ahead of the non status passengers with a W fare. I think that you might get your girlfriend the E+ seat at check-in but I'm not sure as the two reservations could not really be linked (they can put a note that you are traveling together). I'm sure that more knowledgeable FTers will chime in.

What day of the week? Mid-week, upgrades are easier. Week-ends are more difficult. Some routes are more difficult too.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
E+ at check-in would be against policy because you are not in the same cabin. An accommodating agent might waive this. You cannot "link" PNRs in any meaningful way.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It seems to me that you cannot be on the same reservation if one passenger is in Business and the other is in Economy but I might be wrong.
Correct. The itineraries must be identical.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:10 am

Might be too early to ask but... two of us traveling on UA909 2 April 2019 ORD-AMS with K fares. We are waitlisted for Polaris using miles + copay. I might be Silver by the time we fly but I don't have any status beyond 'member' at the moment. Should I be optimistic?

Also, to clarify - if I purchase E+ seats with cash today, those fees will get refunded if my upgrades clear? I know this was just spelled out above but it's the first I've heard of that. Similarly, if I paid cash for E+ and then upgraded my seat to First with cash, can the E+ fees be reimbursed? This is for UA698, SFO-ORD.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now PN and R are both at 0, but our flight isn't until October
Not to discourage you, just keep in mind that certain dates in October are business travel heavy due to trade shows in HKG, CAN.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Slightly worse than that; you'd be behind any revenue passenger upgrading using a GS instrument (or GS miles). Flying XN, you have the lowest priority among GS instruments. (Then again: if you were a 1K, you couldn't upgrade economy award tickets with a GPU, so...)

Inventory on your flight is J9 C2 D0. That's a strong indication that UA believes it can sell the rest of the business inventory. It makes some sense, too; you're likely to get slightly more business travel than average that week, because some percentage of trips that otherwise would have been the previous week will get pushed back due to the holiday.

Also, I'm afraid you're committing a classic blunder. (Not quite as bad as getting involved in a land war in Asia, or going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line, but...) The seat map isn't a reliable indicator of load. Your flight's status page indicates that 50 seats are currently booked (look at the upgrade tab).

Yeah it’s dropping like a rock on the flight on the 8th. I’m now almost convinced to go on the 9th since that’s fairly wide open on Expert Flyer. Looks like plenty of T availability as well to make the change as needed. Got the seat alerts on both flights active should j9 and c2 drop as well as T and J on the 9th.

Would work anyways going on the 9th as we’re flexible .
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LesPaul30

Yeah it’s dropping like a rock on the flight on the 8th. I’m now almost convinced to go on the 9th since that’s fairly wide open on Expert Flyer.
The 9th is 39/60, vs. 51/60 on the 8th.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastFan
Might be too early to ask but... two of us traveling on UA909 2 April 2019 ORD-AMS with K fares. We are waitlisted for Polaris using miles + copay. I might be Silver by the time we fly but I don't have any status beyond 'member' at the moment. Should I be optimistic?
You might as well buy a lottery ticket. Same level of predictability seven months in advance.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The 9th is 39/60, vs. 51/60 on the 8th.
More than a month out? No status? 8th is zero percent, 9th is only slightly better. I like to see booked 15/60 or less six weeks out.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You might as well buy a lottery ticket. Same level of predictability seven months in advance.

More than a month out? No status? 8th is zero percent, 9th is only slightly better. I like to see booked 15/60 or less six weeks out.
We’re both GS using GPU’s on awards.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by LesPaul30
We’re both GS using GPU’s on awards.
Sorry, I was confusing different posts. [And again]

Agreed, 9th looks much better.

[I think there are at least three separate TPACs being discussed right now - hard to keep them straight!]
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:05 pm

Sorry, I was confusing different posts. [And again]

Agreed, 9th looks much better.

[I think there are at least three separate TPACs being discussed right now - hard to keep them straight!]
yeah the 9th being next sat and trying to push at t-72 look far more promising for next Sunday 9/9. Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastFan
Also, to clarify - if I purchase E+ seats with cash today, those fees will get refunded if my upgrades clear? I know this was just spelled out above but it's the first I've heard of that. Similarly, if I paid cash for E+ and then upgraded my seat to First with cash, can the E+ fees be reimbursed? This is for UA698, SFO-ORD.
Yes. The only form of upgrade which does not get you a refund of E+ fees is if you receive a CPU. (Arguably, no refund if op-upped either.)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:26 am

I would hope I have a slightly better chance than 1 in 250 million but point taken.

I take it 6-8 weeks out is a better point to really start thinking about it? In the meantime, I can otherwise monitor for R>0 via ExpertFlyer and then remove and immediately re-apply the upgrade request, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.