Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

If it clears, it’s a perfect illustration of why LAX-SIN is going away!
As a silver lining, the new AM SFO-SIN seems to be surprisingly liberal with R space. But indeed. (Especially if it means they just can't support two US-SIN flights per day.)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by userjeff
Flight 808 PEK -> IAD
Date: 8/25/2018
Fare Class: Y

Used 20k miles for upgrade waitlist. Currently 23/36 booked in J. Any Chance?

Have my Chances changed with only 3 days to go? 20/36 sold. Looks like Y is over sold.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by YogiORD
Hey folks,

would like to know now chance of getting an upgrade to Polaris on UA881 ORD-NRT for Sat Aug 25.
Applied GPU for Economy booked under H class. 1K status.
Expert view shows J9 JN9 P0 R0 RN0
United is showing 38 out of 40sold, but seat map shows 9 available.
First class is wide open 0 out of 8 booked, although 1 will go to the pilot.
Any thoughts from you gurus if I should keep hopes alive, especially for a Sat Narita flight.
Cheers
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

Your chances are increasing slightly since it seems that 3 passengers decided not to fly: it's showing 35 out of 40 sold. But you still have to worry about Global Service passengers and about 1Ks with a higher fare. And all those passengers and you have to hope that nobody gets a TOD that they cannot refuse.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
But you still have to worry about Global Service passengers and about 1Ks with a higher fare.
And last minute sales.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by userjeff
Have my Chances changed with only 3 days to go? 20/36 sold. Looks like Y is over sold.
I agree; Y is oversold, and I'd say your chances look decent at this point. They're currently selling J6 C5 D0 Y1 B1 M1 E0. That means they're likely oversold by 10 in Y, and are willing to oversell by one more. That's good for you, because the seats that they're blocking from inventory can't be sold as upgrades during check-in. As things currently sit, there will be at least 10 upgrades.

You should be first in line out of the Gold passengers, so the question is simply how many GS, 1K, and Platinum passengers are ahead of you with waitlisted instruments. There's no way to know that, but I certainly like your chances better today than I did when you first posted.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SirDormammu
Hello fellow FT users,

Please share some thoughts on my mileage plus upgrade going through (general tier member, K classed booked):

UA37, departing LAX to SIN on August 27th. 33/48 United Business Polaris booked.

Opened fares: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, and PN, R, RN, IN, I all zero.

I’ve been on the waitlist for over a month.
I cleared that flight back in April, Silver at the time, K fare, mileage upgrade. It cleared 2 hours before the flight.

Good luck!

- Tom
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

Your chances are increasing slightly since it seems that 3 passengers decided not to fly: it's showing 35 out of 40 sold. But you still have to worry about Global Service passengers and about 1Ks with a higher fare. And all those passengers and you have to hope that nobody gets a TOD that they cannot refuse.
thanks for checking this and helping your fellow travelers. As of noon today the Aug25 ORD-NRT still shows 35/40 for Polaris and 0/8 for First. Still worried about J8 JN8 P0 PN0 RN0, so will be competing against GS upgrades and united’s Stubbornness that they will still sell J seats at full price. Y looks wide open with Y8 B7 H6. Have slim hopes since have not seen many GS’s take the pacific route from ORD. Nothing like my LHR-ORD from last month when they paraded 35 GS’s onto the 767, and there was no hope of any upgrade. Cheers all! Will keep you updated if anything changes, but am fully preparing for E+.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck
I cleared that flight back in April, Silver at the time, K fare, mileage upgrade. It cleared 2 hours before the flight.

Good luck!

- Tom
Good to hear, do you recall the availability leading up to the flight? (15 seats left with five more days to go, crossing my fingers).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SirDormammu

Good to hear, do you recall the availability leading up to the flight? (15 seats left with five more days to go, crossing my fingers).
I recall it was about the same. In fact, I didn't even waitlist until about 5 days out because my return was already upgraded (R space at booking), so I figured I would suck it up and do economy out and First coming back. But realizing the miles would be refunded if I didn't clear, I would have nothing to lose.

It went from about 15 available five days out to 8 one day out, and then cleared at two hours. I was walking by the UC in LAX on my way to the boarding area when I noticed it cleared, so swung in there quick to start taking advantage of the perks lol!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I agree; Y is oversold, and I'd say your chances look decent at this point. They're currently selling J6 C5 D0 Y1 B1 M1 E0. That means they're likely oversold by 10 in Y, and are willing to oversell by one more. That's good for you, because the seats that they're blocking from inventory can't be sold as upgrades during check-in. As things currently sit, there will be at least 10 upgrades.

You should be first in line out of the Gold passengers, so the question is simply how many GS, 1K, and Platinum passengers are ahead of you with waitlisted instruments. There's no way to know that, but I certainly like your chances better today than I did when you first posted.
Happy to hear this!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Y looks wide open with Y8 B7 H6.
Not sure that's the right conclusion. Looks to me like a potential oversale. Which is your best scenario for an upgrade, since it will result in J pax moved to F.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure that's the right conclusion. Looks to me like a potential oversale. Which is your best scenario for an upgrade, since it will result in J pax moved to F.
Hello Kacee, help me understand why Y seems to be oversold for UA881 on Saturday. I may not be readin this correctly. Appreciate a quick explanation. Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:06 pm

Hello Kacee, help me understand why Y seems to be oversold for UA881 on Saturday. I may not be readin this correctly. Appreciate a quick explanation. Thanks
I would call it a "potential" oversale based on the economy seatmap (only E+ open) and the inventory, specifically J9 Y4 W0. Plus, flight status on the App now says J booked 32/40 with 1 blocked. The rapid drop in booked J (from 38 this morning to 32 now) is obviously a positive sign for you.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anything less than Y9 indicates tight inventory, not "wide open." The numbers that you quoted aren't additive -- it means that they're willing to sell 8 seats in Y; of those, they'd sell up to 7 in B and up to 6 in H. So, that's 8 total, not 8+7+6=21.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's oversold -- Kacee's remark that 1 seat is blocked in J usually does though -- but it's a fair indication that it might be. If UA believes that they are more likely to get people to pay walk-up Y prices than walk-up J prices, they'll continue to sell Y inventory, knowing that each additional sale will likely cause one more upgrade -- but figuring that seat would otherwise go empty. So, they might offer Y8 even if there are no available seats in Y, figuring that they'll get some cancellations, missed connections, or no-shows... or have to upgrade some people.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Anything less than Y9 indicates tight inventory, not "wide open." The numbers that you quoted aren't additive -- it means that they're willing to sell 8 seats in Y; of those, they'd sell up to 7 in B and up to 6 in H. So, that's 8 total, not 8+7+6=21.
The flight currently shows Y4. J9 Y4 W0 (and no empty E- seats) says potential oversale to me. J blocked 1 is just confirmation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.