Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fx12002

Both flights ticketed and confirmed on 7/26. On United site, show upgrade requested. In seat selection section, each flight appears twice, I assume because of the upgrade request. Only other time I used a GPU, it was instant and on the phone so not familiar with what is normal.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the United threads!

The reason that last time you could get to use your GPU instantly is that you booked a flight that had available R fare. The flights you booked this time are R0 and PN0. Your upgrade will clear if it becomes R1 or higher and you are the next passenger in the waitlist. The PN0 means that even Global Service passengers would have their upgrade waitlisted on your flights but United will open (if they open it) PN before they open R.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: MillagePlus
Thank you both for the replies! So, my take away is at this point a moderate maybe? Odds don't look terrible but also don't look great?

Also, dumb question, where do you see if the flight is R0/ PN0, etc? I have read a little about "advanced mode" for searching United flights but don't totally understand what it does. Is this how you are seeing that information?

Thanks again, sorry if this topic has already been beaten to death, trying to research before asking as much as possible.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you both for the replies! So, my take away is at this point a moderate maybe? Odds don't look terrible but also don't look great?

Also, dumb question, where do you see if the flight is R0/ PN0, etc? I have read a little about "advanced mode" for searching United flights but don't totally understand what it does. Is this how you are seeing that information?

Thanks again, sorry if this topic has already been beaten to death, trying to research before asking as much as possible.
Re: upgrade chances, it's just a little too far out to be confident, but you don't have no chance.

You have to enable expert mode, and then you will see the inventory numbers in the 'details' under each flight returned by a search. To get accurate numbers, you need to be searching segment by segment, rather than with your connection (if any; none in this case it seems).

Here is a thread with more information (which you may have already found):
Expert Mode fare information not visible or working [REPAIRED for rev. searches].
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: MillagePlus
Jsloan - Sorry for what is probably a stupid question, how do you get the flight status page for flights more than a few days away? Obviously, you can as proven by your links, just can't figure out how to get dates more than the few days available in the drop-down menu.

Thank you again!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:44 am

Jsloan - Sorry for what is probably a stupid question, how do you get the flight status page for flights more than a few days away? Obviously, you can as proven by your links, just can't figure out how to get dates more than the few days available in the drop-down menu.

Thank you again!
The website is: www.cablepick.net/united.

You input your flight number, the date, the origin and destination. Then you click on the United Polaris Business Upgrade Standby list. It gives you how many Business Class seats are sold and how many Business Class seats are on that flight.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you again!
It's not a stupid question at all; no reason to be sorry.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The website is: www.cablepick.net/united.
This provides a great interface to allow you to pull up flights from the future. The only problem is that the page that you end up hitting (on United's site) no longer has the flight information in the URL and can't be bookmarked / copy-and-pasted. So, I actually do the same thing that the cablepick site does by hand. (The URLs all follow the same pattern). But, yes, if you're just trying to use the URLs for your own edification and not post links anywhere, just use this site.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not a stupid question at all; no reason to be sorry.

This provides a great interface to allow you to pull up flights from the future. The only problem is that the page that you end up hitting (on United's site) no longer has the flight information in the URL and can't be bookmarked / copy-and-pasted. So, I actually do the same thing that the cablepick site does by hand. (The URLs all follow the same pattern). But, yes, if you're just trying to use the URLs for your own edification and not post links anywhere, just use this site.
In case you hadn't noticed, cablepick uses a cookie to save your searched flights. So you can input the flight number, etc., look at the flight status, and then go back to cablepick and just right-click copy the link it generated in the Previous Searches list to put in your bookmarks. I find that slightly faster than writing the URL myself.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is beyond my pay grade. I have to analyze this and try to understand it.

But, I'll get it eventually.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
In case you hadn't noticed, cablepick uses a cookie to save your searched flights. So you can input the flight number, etc., look at the flight status, and then go back to cablepick and just right-click copy the link it generated in the Previous Searches list to put in your bookmarks. I find that slightly faster than writing the URL myself.
Good point. I didn't notice that, actually, because I got the links originally by opening the page and examining the form. As for the speed -- I have it in my terminal history, so I can get to the URL quickly and then edit the fields. It would also be trivial to write a shell script to generate and print / open the URL, but I haven't bothered.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
This is beyond my pay grade. I have to analyze this and try to understand it.

But, I'll get it eventually.
:-)

When you hit any of these flight status links, you end up on the same results.asp page no matter what the flight number is. Bookmarking that page won't help. You need to bookmark the page that contains the flight information, which United's servers read and then send everyone to results.asp to see the results.

This is OT for the Upgrades thread, though.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:46 pm

What are my chances?

Hello fellow FT users,

Please share some thoughts on my mileage plus upgrade going through (general tier member, K classed booked):

UA37, departing LAX to SIN on August 27th. 33/48 United Business Polaris booked.

Opened fares: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, and PN, R, RN, IN, I all zero.

I’ve been on the waitlist for over a month.

Last edited by SirDormammu; Aug 21, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SirDormammu
Please share some thoughts on my mileage plus upgrade going through (general tier member, K classed booked):

UA37, departing LAX to SIN on August 27th. 33/48 United Business Polaris booked.

Opened fares: J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, and PN, R, RN, IN, I all zero.
You have a chance with fifteen open seats six days out. Not a great chance, but at least a chance.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
You have a chance with fifteen open seats six days out. Not a great chance, but at least a chance.
If it clears, it’s a perfect illustration of why LAX-SIN is going away!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Ord-Nrt Aug25 Upgrade Chance

Hey folks,

would like to know now chance of getting an upgrade to Polaris on UA881 ORD-NRT for Sat Aug 25.
Applied GPU for Economy booked under H class. 1K status.
Expert view shows J9 JN9 P0 R0 RN0
United is showing 38 out of 40sold, but seat map shows 9 available.
First class is wide open 0 out of 8 booked, although 1 will go to the pilot.
Any thoughts from you gurus if I should keep hopes alive, especially for a Sat Narita flight.
Cheers

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YogiORD
Hey folks,

would like to know now chance of getting an upgrade to Polaris on UA881 ORD-NRT for Sat Aug 25.
Applied GPU for Economy booked under H class. 1K status.
Expert view shows J9 JN9 P0 R0 RN0
United is showing 38 out of 40sold, but seat map shows 9 available.
First class is wide open 0 out of 8 booked, although 1 will go to the pilot.
Any thoughts from you gurus if I should keep hopes alive, especially for a Sat Narita flight.
Cheers

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

So, the reason that they're selling 9 seats in J is that they're willing to provide operational upgrades (op-ups) to F. 38/40 is correct. If they sell 47 total seats in J, 7 passengers will be moved to F -- that's where the 9 is coming from.

Per UA policy, they will not clear upgrades from Y to J unless there's space. They will not move passengers to F to make room for an upgrade from Y unless Y is oversold. Your best bet is to hope for a Y oversale or that there are a couple of J passengers with GPUs applied to move to F. Otherwise, it doesn't look good.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by YogiORD
Cheers
Booked 38/40? Very slim hope, a little better if Y is overbooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.