Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:06 pm

We only waitlisted the GPUs on July 21st. Our return cleared upon booking (our connection on way home is TGL)
I've been checking daily and haven't seen any Rs open. I'm not savvy enough to know how the other fare codes work.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's what they typically do when they're clearing pax off the waitlist - R1 R0 R1 R0, etc.
Kind of not surprised to hear this but seems like a real smack at anyone booking 2 (or more) together and applying instruments. From what you are saying you most likely would never get upgraded! I typically book separately as well as I always suspected and found upgrades to be easier this way.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
Kind of not surprised to hear this but seems like a real smack at anyone booking 2 (or more) together and applying instruments. From what you are saying you most likely would never get upgraded! I typically book separately as well as I always suspected and found upgrades to be easier this way.
Especially since luv2go mentioned that both passengers in the same reservation are 1Ks. In the case that the other passenger has no or low status booking together could help that other passenger to get the upgrade. But, maybe I'm comfortable with my wife booking her own ticket because she's a seasoned traveler (took her first international long haul in 1960) and if there are disruptions in the travel, she would be able to deal with it.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA1749 SFO-OGG going out 16/24 in F today. Empty seat next to me. 1st half of year was tight to/from west coast. I’ve noticed it’s loosened up considerably mid-week.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just canceled a Mileage Plus ticket to a W revenue ticket for IAD - ICN and NRT - IAD in late December/early January and was waitlisted using GPU for my wife and me (she is the 1K this year). Any idea on when it will clear?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlwalt
I just canceled a Mileage Plus ticket to a W revenue ticket for IAD - ICN and NRT - IAD in late December/early January and was waitlisted using GPU for my wife and me (she is the 1K this year). Any idea on when it will clear?
It'll clear (if it clears) between now and late December/early January based on the info you've provided.

Can you provide specific days of the week / dates?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Went from hero to zero last weekend on SFO-DEN Sunday afternoon. 3 open seats at 1 hour and I was #1 on the list with my applied RPU.... within 15 minutes, F zeroed out... I asked at the gate, and they had 3 non-status buy-ups.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:40 pm

Flight 808 PEK -> IAD
Date: 8/25/2018
Fare Class: Y

Used 20k miles for upgrade waitlist. Currently 23/36 booked in J. Any Chance?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by userjeff
Flight 808 PEK -> IAD
Date: 8/25/2018
Fare Class: Y

Used 20k miles for upgrade waitlist. Currently 23/36 booked in J. Any Chance?
Saturday, a week to go, with inventory reporting J9 C8 D0 Z0 P0 PN0 -- UA is betting it will sell all the seats -- maybe a few GS upgrades
However it is also Y2 ,so Y is playing hardball on economy sales.
This will likely go to the gate and a high fare 1K as long as there are not too many GS might have a chance.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:59 pm

I might have a chance as a gold? or are you saying a high fare 1k might have a chance.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by userjeff
I might have a chance as a gold? ....
Some new passengers will purchase new seats and some will paid for a cash upgrade and then all waitlisted GS as well as all 1K & Plat waitlisted will clear before you. This a long flight and those that can will be waitlist or willing to fork over cash.
So, I would rate chances as low
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some new passengers will purchase new seats and some will paid for a cash upgrade and then all waitlisted GS as well as all 1K & Plat waitlisted will clear before you. This a long flight and those that can will be waitlist or willing to fork over cash.
So, I would rate chances as low
Thanks for the reply! I hope I luck out!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: MillagePlus
Hello all,

Flight: 84 EWR > TLV
Date: 9/29/2018
Fare Class: M
Attempting to apply GPU certificate

Flight: 91 TLV > EWR
Date: 10/8/2018
Fare Class: W
Attempting to apply GPU certificate

Both flights ticketed and confirmed on 7/26. On United site, show upgrade requested. In seat selection section, each flight appears twice, I assume because of the upgrade request. Only other time I used a GPU, it was instant and on the phone so not familiar with what is normal. Think the upgrade will clear? Currently shows a lot of available business class seats.

Thank you!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fx12002
...In seat selection section, each flight appears twice, I assume because of the upgrade request...
Correct. I'll let others predict chances of upgrade on that route. Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both flights ticketed and confirmed on 7/26. On United site, show upgrade requested. In seat selection section, each flight appears twice, I assume because of the upgrade request.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Yes, what you describe is normal for any waitlisted instrument. The waitlisted segments show up on the seat selection page but you can't make any selections there.

Think the upgrade will clear? Currently shows a lot of available business class seats.
Here are links to the flight status pages for your flights: Outbound; Return. If you click on "United Polaris business Upgrade Standby List," you can see the number of seats that are already booked. The outbound is booked 31/50, which is pretty high for one month in advance, and the business class inventory is J9 C9 D7 Z0; United doesn't think it needs to offer discount business class seats to sell the remaining inventory. The return is booked 28/60, and the extra 10 seats may be the deciding factor for you here. The inventory there is J9 C9 D9 Z0, so, again, UA thinks they can sell the tickets without a big discount.

The higher fare class on the outbound will put you in front of people who purchased earlier at a lower fare class, but I'd say your odds are better on the return flight due to the extra seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.