Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
A few itineraries I'm looking at, trying to determine which upgradable flight to purchase (I intend to acquire RPUs/GPUs to apply to these flights; if I understand correctly, the status of the owner of the upgrade instrument influences the order in which they're applied [i.e. if I get it from a GS member, that will be processed before RPUs from a 1k member?]); guidance as to which flight each date I should purchase (which flight will have the highest likelihood of opening R space) is appreciated!

09/20-09/25 CLE-SAN
02/05-02/09 CLE-HNL
03/23-03/30 CLE-LIR
Well as was noted the GS instrument will have the highest likely hood of clearing. With I believe the exception of SAN all of your flights will have connections so that also raises the issue of perhaps only getting part of your itinerary to clear but not the entire trip. With CLE to HNL you have several options as to routing and upgrades into HNL have been relatively easier now so that may be your easiest to use the instrument from your 1K cert. Flying into Liberia will be through IAH, the last time I took that flight I did clear a GPU (as a 1K) but that was a couple of years ago and flights in LIR are limited. I would use the GS GPU into LIH (or attempt to use it). CLE to SAN I have limited experience with but CLE - LAX/SFO I have had surprisingly poor luck clearing instruments particularly on the red-eye flights into CLE.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nomad420
Just curious about the potential issue of shifting from as you suggested row 9 to 23 for example. With the updated and supposedly now accurate seat chart that row (23) is not E+ (and for that matter not an exit row) would that passenger not have a legitimate complaint at checking in? I know I would not be happy and given from what I see I could very easily do just what you suggest may have happened.
Row 23 in new configuration is E+ exit row. In old, it's E, non-exit. I'm not sure what happens if there's a a/c swap. Premiers are probably on their own to monitor seats and make sure they have the seats they want. In this case, if they switched out of 9CD into row 23 before the latest a/c assignment, I think they're screwed unless they catch it themselves. If they were customers who actually bought E+ seats, and moved to 23, I would think/hope that UA would proactively assign them E+ seats after the lastest swap.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Row 23 in new configuration is E+ exit row. In old, it's E, non-exit. I'm not sure what happens if there's a a/c swap. Premiers are probably on their own to monitor seats and make sure they have the seats they want. In this case, if they switched out of 9CD into row 23 before the latest a/c assignment, I think they're screwed unless they catch it themselves. If they were customers who actually bought E+ seats, and moved to 23, I would think/hope that UA would proactively assign them E+ seats after the lastest swap.
I expect all pax are basically on their own, and someone who paid for an E+ seat assignment and didn't fly with one can get a refund. Yes, it's a pretty poor situation.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Historically, what are the chances for my RPUs clearing on my mid September EWR-SFO-OGG and OGG-HNL-EWR flights?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UASleeper
Historically, what are the chances for my RPUs clearing on my mid September EWR-SFO-OGG and OGG-HNL-EWR flights?
What days of the week?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
jsloan: Both flights are on a Monday (9/17 and 9/24).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I would say better than 50% with this wild card thrown in. The TOD for this AM's flight from SFO-KOA was $99!! Needless to say it was jumped on so I am sure that foiled a bunch of potential instrument upgrades. I didn't get upgraded on last Sat AM flight in KOA as well. As I was #1 on the upgrade list the GA actually told me the last two seats were "bought" at <T24, my guess is something like T2hrs.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
EWR-SFO on a Monday morning will not clear.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by findark
EWR-SFO on a Monday morning will not clear.
Should have been more clear at which flight I was referring to, I was considering only the SFO-OGG flight. You are indeed correct, EWR-SFO will NOT clear on Monday AM. I guess I took that for granted.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback! An upgrade for SFO-HNL would be already a nice touch. I’m mostly keen on an upgrade for the longest segment (ie HNL-EWR) to accommodate my mother. It seems that, since I’ve requested the upgrades with my RPUs, any other upgrade option has disappeared online. Is it just a temporary block (as seats seem to be still available according to the seatmaps and test bookings) by United to see how many tickets can be sold without having to reopen upgradeable inventory or a website quirk? I guess I’ll have to call the 1K line to see how much a buy up would cost, if currently available at all.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I’m mostly keen on an upgrade for the longest segment (ie HNL-EWR) ...
a very tough upgrade

.... I guess I’ll have to call the 1K line to see how much a buy up would cost, if currently available at all.
You can do this vis the change flight option.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Anyone have any experience with a GPU or mileage upgrade clearing on UA79 EWR-NRT on a Saturday in November? Or maybe even recent Saturday experiences since the 77W was introduced on the route?

I know Saturday westbound TPAC travel is generally more difficult given business travel. But I'm also thinking the amount of premium cabin lift to Tokyo has increased materially over the past year with the new HND flights by NH and JL and UA upgauging UA79 to a 77W.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:09 pm

Booked 2 people same reservation (both 1K) on a W fare on GPU Waitlist.

24 August UA 134 EWR-ZRH .

Currently stands at
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P7
  • PN3
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V7
  • W5
  • S4
  • T2
  • L1
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN0
  • X0

Seat map shows 19 unassigned seats up front.

Do we have a chance?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by luv2go
Booked 2 people same reservation (both 1K) on a W fare on GPU Waitlist.

24 August UA 134 EWR-ZRH .

Currently stands at
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P7
  • PN3
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V7
  • W5
  • S4
  • T2
  • L1
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN0
  • X0

Seat map shows 19 unassigned seats up front.

Do we have a chance?
Oh no! Another flight with the 20 seater motor coach! It was reported yesterday but I did not know that it was going to be a recurrent thing.

Anyways, Polaris Business is sold 26/39 so only 13 seats left. Being on a Friday is a negative but PN3 is good news: there are no GS traveling alone, traveling with a friend (or relative) or traveling with 2 friends (or relatives) that are waitlisted but there may be 1Ks with V fares or better. With that number of seats left, I have frequently been upgraded 4 days before my flight. If it goes to the last day, you just have to watch for those passengers being tempted by the TODs.

How long ago did you waitlist your GPUs? Do you realize that if in the meantime they have opened one R at a time, you were bypassed by the fact that you have a reservation for 2. My wife and I book our tickets separately even though she's only Platinum. We have frequently cleared at different times and we never saw R opening so we think that they just open one R at a time.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
We have frequently cleared at different times and we never saw R opening so we think that they just open one R at a time.
That's what they typically do when they're clearing pax off the waitlist - R1 R0 R1 R0, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.