Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Aug 12 is a Sunday -- probably the worst day of the week for SFO-LHR upgrades. However, Aug 12th is peak vacation time for UK/Europeans and business travel is down a bit.

K fare will be a detriment as GPU folks will be on a W or higher fare. So you will be behind most folks using GPUs.

If this does clear, it will be at the gate
Not to mention PN=0, meaning a whole slew if GS may be waiting for their upgrades to clear as well..........
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by extreme_panda
I'm thinking about calling and checking what the price difference is to move to one of the flights with open R, but I'm worried about having my PNR split when they look into the price change. (Maybe something I don't need to worry about?)
Asking them to check price will not split your PNR. Changing one ticket but not the other will. If you change them both, you can stay on one PNR.

Agree 45/60 ten days out is likely to be a nail biter.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What would be the odds of getting an upgrade with miles and copay between SFO and AKL in January or early Feb?

Would odds be better certain days of the week than others?

I'm a Gold.

Current fares for both coach and business are very high. At least 30-40% higher than fares to Australia, for instance.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
What would be the odds of getting an upgrade with miles and copay between SFO and AKL in January or early Feb?

I'm a Gold. .....
The further away from XMAS or New Year's the better
Standard answer on the day of the week: mid-week (for departure and arrival -- take in account the day/lost due timezones)
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Asking them to check price will not split your PNR. Changing one ticket but not the other will. If you change them both, you can stay on one PNR.

Agree 45/60 ten days out is likely to be a nail biter.
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Not to mention PN=0, meaning a whole slew if GS may be waiting for their upgrades to clear as well..........
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Aug 12 is a Sunday -- probably the worst day of the week for SFO-LHR upgrades. However, Aug 12th is peak vacation time for UK/Europeans and business travel is down a bit.

K fare will be a detriment as GPU folks will be on a W or higher fare. So you will be behind most folks using GPUs.

If this does clear, it will be at the gate
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd say your chances are quite low. At the gate, at best.

It's not impossible that they'd split the PNR if you were just to call to ask for a quote, but it's highly unlikely if you make it clear that you're interested in the price for both of you to change. If you were looking for the price to change just your ticket, the agent might split the PNR in order to get the price.

Thanks everyone. I should have done more research about which days were harder for upgrades (ie Sat/Sun) before purchasing. Since R=0 for all of the dates when I booked, I didn't think much about it. And I maybe made the wrong call of K fare + MUA vs buying up to W, but I didn't want to be out the additional money if the upgrade didn't clear either way.

I called united and it's a $1K difference per ticket to move to a day with R>=2. A little too rich for my blood.

So it's unlikely that R inventory will open between now and TOD?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch for it.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah but that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch for it.
Oh believe me. I'm watching at an obsessive level over here. Since expert flyer doesn't show R inventory, I just have to look at the flight on united.com with expert mode on correct?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:03 pm

Oh believe me. I'm watching at an obsessive level over here. Since expert flyer doesn't show R inventory, I just have to look at the flight on united.com with expert mode on correct?
Yes.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81

I'm a Gold.

Current fares for both coach and business are very high. At least 30-40% higher than fares to Australia, for instance.
Dramatically higher the further you get from 1 January. Tuesdays are usually the best shot, followed by Mondays and Wednesdays.

Probably not for a Sunday flight, but you never know. August is a strange grab bag for TATL because European business grinds to a halt for the month. I just went 2/3 for op-ups on EU short segments, and my LH flight home had me surrounded by op-ups from PE (whoops, waste of a GPU perhaps ).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
A few itineraries I'm looking at, trying to determine which upgradable flight to purchase (I intend to acquire RPUs/GPUs to apply to these flights; if I understand correctly, the status of the owner of the upgrade instrument influences the order in which they're applied [i.e. if I get it from a GS member, that will be processed before RPUs from a 1k member?]); guidance as to which flight each date I should purchase (which flight will have the highest likelihood of opening R space) is appreciated!

09/20-09/25 CLE-SAN
02/05-02/09 CLE-HNL
03/23-03/30 CLE-LIR

Last edited by kerrigjl; Aug 5, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
...I intend to acquire RPUs/GPUs via CC or eBay to apply to these flights...
Buying/selling of upgrades is against United's program rules. UA routinely poses as buyers and will shut down the accounts of those selling certificates and void the ones issued. You could end up with nothing.

Edit: Deleting what I quoted from your original post does not change the fact that selling/buying upgrade instruments is against United Airlines' program rules. It's not the readers here that your need to worry about. I'm not sure how much help you're going to get when you state up front you're going to break the rules most others play by.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 5, 2018 at 5:59 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
A few itineraries I'm looking at, trying to determine which upgradable flight to purchase (I intend to acquire RPUs/GPUs to apply to these flights; if I understand correctly, the status of the owner of the upgrade instrument influences the order in which they're applied [i.e. if I get it from a GS member, that will be processed before RPUs from a 1k member?] ....
Parially correct -- GS instruments will clear into PN which is more available than R. All other instruments clear into R and at the status of the traveler, not the donor. So GS instruments have an advantage.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
...check your reservation around 2 a.m. CDT the night before T-48 hours. The proper seatmap will appear and a large number of very desirable E+ seats will be added, including a guaranteed Row 8.
At about midnight CST (~T-65), the placeholder was gone and looks like new configuration is scheduled. Only one coach seat (24D) was available on placeholder. Now, a whole bunch of additional seats/rows now selectable. Took 8D, freeing up 21C. Now I just need RPU to clear so this exercise is a waste of my time

Edit: Less than 12 hours later, switched to old configuration...
Stitched to 9C from 8C. Whoever was in row 9 on placeholder and in new configuration may have switched themselves to (now) bad seats, maybe row 23? . Should be safe whatever shows up if upgrade doesn't come though.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 6, 2018 at 11:02 am
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Buying/selling of upgrades is against United's program rules. UA routinely poses as buyers and will shut down the accounts of those selling certificates and void the ones issued. You could end up with nothing.

Edit: Deleting what I quoted from your original post does not change the fact that selling/buying upgrade instruments is against United Airlines' program rules. It's not the readers here that your need to worry about. I'm not sure how much help you're going to get when you state up front you're going to break the rules most others play by.
Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
At about midnight CST (~T-65), the placeholder was gone and looks like new configuration is scheduled. Only one coach seat (24D) was available on placeholder. Now, a whole bunch of additional seats/rows now selectable. Took 8D, freeing up 21C. Now I just need RPU to clear so this exercise is a waste of my time

Edit: Less than 12 hours later, switched to old configuration...
Stitched to 9C from 8C. Whoever was in row 9 on placeholder and in new configuration may have switched themselves to (now) bad seats, maybe row 23? . Should be safe whatever shows up if upgrade doesn't come though.
Just curious about the potential issue of shifting from as you suggested row 9 to 23 for example. With the updated and supposedly now accurate seat chart that row (23) is not E+ (and for that matter not an exit row) would that passenger not have a legitimate complaint at checking in? I know I would not be happy and given from what I see I could very easily do just what you suggest may have happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.