Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:41 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 17, 19, 11:25 pm
  #1381  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 489
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
The 753s have 24 F seats but I don't think I've ever seen one do SFO-SEA.
Counter-example: I've been on a 753 on SFO-SEA.
aindfan is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 11:32 pm
  #1382  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 41,440
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Are you sure you're on a 739? All 739s have 20 F seats. The 753s have 24 F seats but I don't think I've ever seen one do SFO-SEA.
It's currently scheduled as a 738, booked 4/20.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 6:36 am
  #1383  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 4,676
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's currently scheduled as a 738, booked 4/20.
Should be 739, and indeed booked 4/20.

(Maybe it was a typo, but if 738 came from the flight status page, that has replaced 'motor coach' as the default display for that page, which is spurious.)
fumje is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 7:20 am
  #1384  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,186
UA1 July 27

There are 20 seats on UA1 (SFO-SIN; July 27) available according to cable pick.net. But United only sells J and C fares (J9, JN9, C9, D0, P0). I will have a YCA fare with GPU (1K status). What is my chance?
Kmxu is online now  
Old Jul 18, 19, 8:49 am
  #1385  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,279
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
There are 20 seats on UA1 (SFO-SIN; July 27) available according to cable pick.net. But United only sells J and C fares (J9, JN9, C9, D0, P0). I will have a YCA fare with GPU (1K status). What is my chance?
Better than the inventory number would suggest. I've noticed that on that particular route, UA doesn't use advance purchase requirements to the same degree that it does on a lot of other routes. Instead, they try to control the fare mix by restricting the discount inventory.

If nearly half the cabin is available, a little better than a week out, I'd say you have a reasonable chance on a Y fare, despite the fact that it's a Saturday. It may go to the gate, though, depending upon how sales do at this price point.
Kmxu likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 11:57 am
  #1386  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 18
EWR- MAN

Anyone have any experience of GPUs clearing on EWR-MAN?

I booked today for a quick trip in October (actually IAH-EWR-MAN) 10/3 returning 10/6 and was waitlisted using other half's GPUs. Waitlist was also available for 20,000 miles + $550 co-pay.

I've been watching the route over past few weeks and looks like most flights go out either with open seats in J, or are full in J after having, for example, 22(+12 blocked) because of overbooking in Y presumably.

Metal is 767-400ER - appreciate it's a fair way out right now but 6/39 booked in J outbound and 5/39 booked in J on return. Looks like no E+ seats booked outbound and 2 booked return right now so presumably not a long list of people waiting to upgrade I would think?
mattg85 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 12:35 pm
  #1387  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,986
I don't know the decision behind the upgauge, but a 764 is a ton of J seats for what was once a 752 route. At least during May/June, I was seeing loads of I space on the route, so I imagine your odds are decent. That being said, Sunday is a peak day and it's far too early to guess at loads.
mattg85 likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 12:56 pm
  #1388  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by findark View Post
I don't know the decision behind the upgauge, but a 764 is a ton of J seats for what was once a 752 route.
I agree - though seeing as Y seems to be oversold a lot of the time on the 764, perhaps the decision was made to switch from the 752 to fill those extra 50 or so seats in Y...
mattg85 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 1:46 pm
  #1389  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR
Programs: United MP 1K
Posts: 20
Need fare class R > 0 to book upgradeable PE?

I'm trying to put together a trip that would involve an FRA-SFO leg on Saturday, 7 September. Ideally I want to use a GPU to upgrade to PZ, but of course it's now showing PZ=0. As a backup it would be nice to at least reserve an upgradeable PE seat (better than being stuck in Econ if the GPU fails, and would improve my upgrade chances). When I try this on the website it shows a column for "Premium Economy (upgrade-eligible Economy fare)" with a fare on some options, but under details it becomes clear that none of these are actually PE fares, just various Y fares; indeed, the listed PE+GPU fares are a bit lower than the non-upgradeable PE O fares shown in the PE only column, and identical to the Econ+GPU fares. It appears that the problem is that (at this point) the flight shows R=0, and I'd need R > 0.

1. Is this correct?
2. How likely is it that this would change to R > 0 in the next few days?
3. More generally, isn't United's website basically lying by listing this fare under a PE heading?
stmvanc is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:04 pm
  #1390  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,986
I think you are misunderstanding the column. It is for flying in Premium Economy with an upgrade-eligible Economy fare (that is, buy Economy and upgrade). If you want to fly in Business there should be a column like "Business (upgrade-eligible Premium Economy fare)" but even if there isn't such a column, any revenue Premium Economy fare is eligible to be upgraded on United metal. Your bigger problem, assuming you need to fly on UA59 on 07-Sep, is that the flight is O7 A0. Only seven seats remain for sale in the PE cabin and UA will only take full-fare for them at the moment. If you want a PE ticket on that flight, it will cost you.

September is one of the hardest times to clear an upgrade to Europe, and you're flying on a non-holiday Saturday. I would say your odds are extremely poor.
jsloan likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Jul 18, 19, 2:10 pm
  #1391  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,279
Originally Posted by stmvanc View Post
1. Is this correct?
No.

You're looking at the wrong thing. For UA-operated flights, all PE fare classes are upgradeable.

It looks like you've searched for economy fares that can be upgraded to PE, which is an entirely different thing entirely.

Mostly, the "upgrade" options in advanced search don't work well at all. I never use them. I search by fare class. If you want to upgrade from economy to PE (and then to Polaris, if possible), you need RN space. If you want to just buy a PE fare and waitlist for an upgrade - - the only path that would improve your upgrade chances, which you said was a priority -- as long as the flight is operated by UA, you can buy any PE fare.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 10:22 am
  #1392  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR
Programs: United MP 1K
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You're looking at the wrong thing. For UA-operated flights, all PE fare classes are upgradeable.
... If you want to just buy a PE fare and waitlist for an upgrade - - the only path that would improve your upgrade chances, which you said was a priority -- as long as the flight is operated by UA, you can buy any PE fare.
Thank you jsloan and findark for setting me straight about this. I now see that I should have been looking at the far right column, which gives fares for buying PE, upgradeable to J using GPU. However, in all my searches this column never showed any options, despite that "all PE fare classes are upgradeable". I figured that jsloan knows the system better than the United website, so I called the 1K helpline. After a 35-minute call where I had to be passed to a more senior agent and a lot of grumbling from both agents about how complicated all this is and how slow their computers are, I was indeed able to change my Econ+GPU reservation to a PE+GPU reservation, at the "correct" extra cost of what the website was charging for PE only.
Even the more senior agent was confused at first by me wanting to pay more to have a guaranteed PE seat, but still apply the GPU in hopes of getting upgraded to J. It appears that this is a relatively rare thing for them to see.
stmvanc is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:08 am
  #1393  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,991
Originally Posted by stmvanc View Post
Even the more senior agent was confused at first by me wanting to pay more to have a guaranteed PE seat, but still apply the GPU in hopes of getting upgraded to J. It appears that this is a relatively rare thing for them to see.
I suspect they will be seeing more of this. I may be doing this myself later this year. Most my international flights this year are/were already purchased J but will probably go PE with GPU later.
nomad420 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:29 am
  #1394  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 10,279
Originally Posted by stmvanc View Post
Thank you jsloan and findark for setting me straight about this. I now see that I should have been looking at the far right column, which gives fares for buying PE, upgradeable to J using GPU. However, in all my searches this column never showed any options, despite that "all PE fare classes are upgradeable". I figured that jsloan knows the system better than the United website, so I called the 1K helpline.
Happy to help. You're making me blush, though.

Originally Posted by stmvanc View Post
Even the more senior agent was confused at first by me wanting to pay more to have a guaranteed PE seat, but still apply the GPU in hopes of getting upgraded to J. It appears that this is a relatively rare thing for them to see.
FlyerTalk (not just me) definitely knows the upgrade system better than the agents do. It's a tiny part of their job, but a major point of emphasis for many of us.

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I suspect they will be seeing more of this. I may be doing this myself later this year. Most my international flights this year are/were already purchased J but will probably go PE with GPU later.
I agree. PE is new enough that this probably hasn't come up much yet. But, if the fares stay where they are, I think it's going to be more common.

In your case, I assume you'd just buy PE straight out. Y->PE and then list GPU is likely to be more common among passengers where the employer will only pay for Y and they're willing to eat the difference out of pocket.

Also, while reports are hit-or-miss on the change fee being waived to upfare to W to use a GPU (after purchase, when PZ comes available, to avoid the lottery), I'd expect that GG BUYUP would unambiguously apply to a P+ purchase. So, if you're the "book the cheap fare, then wait for PZ" type, it might wind up to be cheaper to change from, say, a K fare to an R fare (change fee waived) than to a W fare (if the agent refuses to waive the change fee).
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:08 pm
  #1395  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,991
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
In your case, I assume you'd just buy PE straight out. Y->PE and then list GPU is likely to be more common among passengers where the employer will only pay for Y and they're willing to eat the difference out of pocket.

Also, while reports are hit-or-miss on the change fee being waived to upfare to W to use a GPU (after purchase, when PZ comes available, to avoid the lottery), I'd expect that GG BUYUP would unambiguously apply to a P+ purchase. So, if you're the "book the cheap fare, then wait for PZ" type, it might wind up to be cheaper to change from, say, a K fare to an R fare (change fee waived) than to a W fare (if the agent refuses to waive the change fee).
Not sure yet as I have yet to purchase a Premium Plus ticket but I am leaning to buying the R ticket and applying the GPU directly. If I don't get the upgrade I at least guarantee the Premium Plus seat. As stated previously I won't play the W lottery any more, even now as GS where I must admit instrument upgrades have become easier.
nomad420 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread