Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 10, 20, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by GTJoe View Post
Has anyone noticed that they're just not clearing upgrades at the gate any longer, even if there are open seats? I flew CMH-DEN on Monday evening and the upgrade list said that there was an open/unbooked seat up front, but the gate agent never cleared anyone from the upgrade list. The seat map showed no open first class seats, but there were multiple open seats once the doors were closed, yet no one ended up being cleared. Is this just a social distancing measure or an oversight on the part of the gate agent?
Iíve had multiple funky upgrade experiences out of CMH... best one was pre boarding began and I pointed out to the gate agent that not a single seat in F was taken... he upgraded me (I was #1 on the list) and 2 others who were in earshot and asked, but nobody else. Flight had 9 empty F seats and several left on the upgrade list...
Old Dec 11, 20, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
Iíve had multiple funky upgrade experiences out of CMH... best one was pre boarding began and I pointed out to the gate agent that not a single seat in F was taken... he upgraded me (I was #1 on the list) and 2 others who were in earshot and asked, but nobody else. Flight had 9 empty F seats and several left on the upgrade list...
??? ???
Might be worth a note to GS folks!
Old Dec 11, 20, 2:34 pm

Upgrade wait list - economy to business

I'm looking at a possible flight just about 1 year out (November 2021). I see "upgrade waitlist" on one direction. How likely is it to clear in the next year? I haven't done this too often, and I don't remember running into this problem before. Itinerary is RDU-Lisbon-Barcelona-RDU.
Old Dec 11, 20, 2:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm looking at a possible flight just about 1 year out (November 2021). I see "upgrade waitlist" on one direction. How likely is it to clear in the next year? I haven't done this too often, and I don't remember running into this problem before. Itinerary is RDU-Lisbon-Barcelona-RDU.
No upgrade space this far out is not uncommon. Given the state of the world, flights that far out are uncertain.
Historical norms are not really very useful at this time

Assume you are routing via EWR

First, status will matter if waitlisted
Day of the week also matters
What is present inventory -- especially P and PN
Old Dec 11, 20, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No upgrade space this far out is not uncommon. Given the state of the world, flights that far out are uncertain.
Historical norms are not really very useful at this time

Assume you are routing via EWR

First, status will matter if waitlisted
Day of the week also matters
What is present inventory -- especially P and PN
How do I check inventory, thanks.
Old Dec 11, 20, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How do I check inventory, thanks.
Turn on Expert Mode for your online account (How to)
more in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html

Once on, in flight searches, for a particular flight, click on Details and look for "Available Fare Classes"

Fare classes are explained in Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA
Old Dec 11, 20, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Turn on Expert Mode for your online account (How to)
more in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html

Once on, in flight searches, for a particular flight, click on Details and look for "Available Fare Classes"

Fare classes are explained in Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA
And search for EWR-LIS / BCN-EWR, not RDU-LIS / BCN-RDU. For the purposes of upgrades, you only care about the inventory on the overwater flight, not the connection.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 20, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
EWR-LIS/BCN is not an easy upgrade.
Old Mar 23, 21, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
I know the longer flights ex-Hawaii are super difficult to upgrade on, but does anyone have advice on how to increase the chances of success?

Currently booked on HNL-IAD in May and it's now showing J1. Really? Maybe there are more seats available, but they're only willing to sell one more in J. Not even sure they'll actually operate the flights to IAD because the schedule has not been finalized yet. I'm thinking if they cancel it, I can ask to be put on the flight to IAH, EWR, or ORD.

Is there an ideal day of the week and airport that is a good bet?
Old Mar 23, 21, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN View Post
... Is there an ideal day of the week and airport that is a good bet?
Mid-week is better than weekends

Hawaii flights have gotten very tight recently, if that trends continues, UA may add more flights.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 7:42 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Hi all! Thanks in advance for your advice & thoughts.

I am considering ORD-SAN on a Saturday in early May. As a Silver, I am wondering if it worth buying up to regular economy from basic for a shot at First Class.

I ask because this is the last departure that leaves ~8pm and arrives ~10pm.

Looking at the seatmap now, 18/20 F seats are unoccupied. Looking at the seat map for next Saturday (9 days from today) for the same timed flight also shows 18/20 seats unoccupied.

Also, most, if not all, E+ seats are unoccupied on both flights. Is this an indication of a light elite load? I am not certain whether higher tiers at UA get E+ at time of ticketing.
Old Apr 8, 21, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post

I am considering ORD-SAN on a Saturday in early May. As a Silver, I am wondering if it worth buying up to regular economy from basic for a shot at First Class.

I ask because this is the last departure that leaves ~8pm and arrives ~10pm.

Looking at the seatmap now, 18/20 F seats are unoccupied. Looking at the seat map for next Saturday (9 days from today) for the same timed flight also shows 18/20 seats unoccupied.

Also, most, if not all, E+ seats are unoccupied on both flights. Is this an indication of a light elite load? I am not certain whether higher tiers at UA get E+ at time of ticketing.
A month out is too far for reliable predictions, but if you see the same flight has consistently light loads now, it is a good sign. Try checking this weekend's flight status.

Gold and higher have E+ access at booking. From my observation, you could roughly assume 80% of occupied seats in E+ will have passengers ranking ahead of you for upgrade.

Bookings climb most quickly in the final two weeks.

What is the price differential BE to regular? If, say, it is $15, maybe worth the gamble.
Old Apr 8, 21, 7:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post

I am not certain whether higher tiers at UA get E+ at time of ticketing.
They get E+ seats at booking if they do not purchase the basic economy fare.
What is the fare difference between regular and basic E?
For Saturday, April 10, the seat map suggests that Silver will get a good shot at CPU (the number of occupied E+ seats is less than the number of available First Class seats), subject to the usual caveats (seat map does not give the exact number of passengers).
Good luck.
Old Apr 8, 21, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
They get E+ seats at booking if they do not purchase the basic economy fare.
What is the fare difference between regular and basic E?
For Saturday, April 10, the seat map suggests that Silver will get a good shot at CPU (the number of occupied E+ seats is less than the number of available First Class seats), subject to the usual caveats (seat map does not give the exact number of passengers).
Good luck.
Thank you for your prompt reply!

In the post you quoted, I was looking at April 17 (for the first point of comparison, before any elite F upgrades are processed) and May 7 (the date I want to fly).

The fare difference was about $40 last time I checked. Would this route even receive any service, given the timing, in F?

As a Silver, the system does a decent job of assigning me E+ at check in (or sometimes the GA does it), but these flights look empty enough in the back that it is possible to have an entire row (or, adjusting for basic economy, an empty middle)
Old May 4, 21, 10:12 am

Upgrade question

I have a question about an upcoming (5/20) nonstop flight from IAD to SFO on the Polaris-equipped 777. I booked a nonstop flight in L economy from DCA to SFO on 3/25 and applied PlusPoints. A week later my itinerary was changed (with no notification) to a layover in Orlando. Since I wasn't told about it, I didn't notice until April 9th and changed to the direct out of IAD, but I'm concerned it messed with my priority on the upgrade list. I'm 1k and used PlusPoints, but it looks like I'm 5th on the upgrade list with 7 seats left in the cabin and a little over 2 weeks to go. How accurate is the waitlist this far out, and does it make any sense that I'm so low on the upgrade list? Any guesses on how likely the upgrade might be? I'm considering just canceling the ticket and booking directly into first with miles (~100k miles).

Search this Thread