Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:41 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 10, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: United 1K/1M, Hilton Diamond
SYD-IAH UA100 on a Friday, 2+ weeks out still, showing J7 left only, been waiting on a MPU to clear, 1K/1M on a Y...but still looks very iffy right?
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post
I was wondering, as you need to check in again, to change seats after checking in T-24, if you have checked in, then had a RPU clear, but later wanted to change to different seat. If you go through the checkin process again, in order to change seats, could you lose the upgrade if the new checkin is viewed by the system as first time checkin and therefore could bump you if your upgrade was based on a tie situation using time of checkin as the decider ? I have cleared on the above flight, but a better seat has opened (4K instead of 2L )
thx
No, you stay in PZ.

Originally Posted by mackemA View Post
SYD-IAH UA100 on a Friday, 2+ weeks out still, showing J7 left only, been waiting on a MPU to clear, 1K/1M on a Y...but still looks very iffy right?
J7 at 14 days out is not going to clear unless you get lucky at the gate.
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
What are the chances of a GPU clearing on UA999 EWR-BRU in 3 days with J3 left? This morning it was J5 and then this evening it turned to J3 - who are buying these last minute biz class tickets for $8800?
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna View Post
What are the chances of a GPU clearing on UA999 EWR-BRU in 3 days with J3 left? This morning it was J5 and then this evening it turned to J3 - who are buying these last minute biz class tickets for $8800?
I bought (well, my company did) bought a $12,000+ Ticket to London during the Olympics with two days notice.

Hardly unique.

Alternatively, some w/ higher status or fare basis may have been upgraded ahead of you.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
who are buying these last minute biz class tickets for $8800?
Business travelers who need to be in Europe on Friday. Not unusual at all. This is how airlines make money.
ExplorerWannabe and tstauck like this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:46 pm

Oh, perhaps your firm's travel policy is more lenient than what I've experienced - for flights over $10k it went on a list for our boss's eyes and approval. If it was booked in advance, not an issue but if it was booked last minute, they would scrutinize and in some sense disapprove of extraneous costs incurred.

Anyhow, I'm on an R fare class confirmed in Premium Plus and 1K. If there are GS onboard, I'd imagine they're like you where the firm is paying for biz class so no need to use GPU upgrades.

This trip is a holiday trip for me so I wanted to make use of my GPUs and enjoy the EWR Polaris lounge and hard product on the plane. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Anyhow, I'm on an R fare class confirmed in Premium Plus and 1K. If there are GS onboard, I'd imagine they're like you where the firm is paying for biz class so no need to use GPU upgrades.
lol that's not me, but there are plenty of firms in NYC who will buy that ticket without blinking, particularly at a discounted corporate rate.

Good luck, there may be last minute cancels or misconnects.
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:05 pm

Okay, then I wish ill will for MX or weather-related issues on all UA hubs flying into EWR this Thurs afternoon to BRU and then they all misconnect! Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:50 pm

...I'd imagine they're like you where the firm is paying for biz class so no need to use GPU upgrades...
GS people actually go on vacations, too. Plus they can sponsor other people with their upgrades. Can’t rule out upgrades (vs purchase) for fewer seats available now.
Old Jun 10, 19, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

who are buying these last minute biz class tickets for $8800?
Other people have already pointed out that this is well within some travel budgets. If you need a demo to close a $15MM dollar deal, or you’re about to lose a $4MM/year client due to an on-site problem, etc., $8800 is a small price to pay. (We should all be glad: if it weren’t for these customers, UA couldn’t afford to sell economy tickets as cheaply as they do).

Another option is that someone changed an existing ticket to that flight. If they’re just changing the return flight, it’s often possible to do it without a fare difference.

And, of course, just because EWR-BRU is $8800 doesn’t mean that SFO-EWR-BRU is $8800. Connecting flights are often cheaper than non-stop flights.

Finally, a lot of UA’s business comes from corporate contracts that offer a fairly substantial discount off of business class fares, so even if it is EWR-BRU, they may have paid $5K or $6K, not $9K.
Old Jun 10, 19, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
And, of course, just because EWR-BRU is $8800 doesn’t mean that SFO-EWR-BRU is $8800.
Right. SFO-EWR-BRU is $9281
Old Jun 10, 19, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Right. SFO-EWR-BRU is $9281
Touché.

The general point stands, even if the specific city pair does not.
Old Jun 11, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LT Ti | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre &
I had to pay double that for last minute TPAC on a couple occasions. Price wasn't a concern. Getting over there immediately was the concern. There are many that pony up the big bucks to travel last minute in biz class.
Old Jun 11, 19, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
I had to pay double that for last minute TPAC on a couple occasions. Price wasn't a concern. Getting over there immediately was the concern. There are many that pony up the big bucks to travel last minute in biz class.
Fair enough. Well them last minute biz class travelers are interfering with my holiday plans lol. So J3 last night has now just become J5 at 2 days out. Might still have a chance yet!
Old Jun 11, 19, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Diamond
15/28 booked on EWR-SFO at T-36 went to 26/28 booked now T-24 before the flight. Loads had always been around 15-20 per the Cablepick UA tool. PZ never opened up while I was waitlisted. 2 seats open now and I'm #2 on the upgrade waitlist at least as of now, though could drop down lower as more upgade eligible folks check in. No idea if the 11 last minute bookings were people ahead of me on the upgrade waitlist, new revenue tix, SDCs, etc. Ugh.

Search this Thread