Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 22, 19, 6:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 9, 19, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by RNTraveling View Post
I'm starting to travel more for work so hoping to get status by the end of the year. But I'm curious about this leisure trip coming up:
SFO-FRA June 18 Flight 629 Booked Fare Class H
I think you mean UA926.

With a GS GPU applied, you have a chance.
Old Jun 9, 19, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I think you mean UA926.

With a GS GPU applied, you have a chance.
Oops yep you're on it! 926 Thanks for that

Where does a GPU sponsored by a GS fall in the upgrade hierarchy? I could only find in the GPU FAQs that my upgrade depends on my status not the person who sponsored me's status...
Old Jun 9, 19, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by RNTraveling View Post
Where does a GPU sponsored by a GS fall in the upgrade hierarchy? I could only find in the GPU FAQs that my upgrade depends on my status not the person who sponsored me's status...
GS upgrades clear into PN. PN opens before PZ, which is the bucket that all non-GS upgrades clear into. That's why you have a chance.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have a flight tomorrow SFO-EWR with GPU applied - flight 2080. I have checked in and it looks like I am number 1 on list (M.Gib) what are chances of clearing , and it it likely to be at gate, or will I get to go to Polaris lounge? Would be my 1st GPU clearing on premium route.

Got lucky with rest of trip on CPUs - PBI - EWR (cleared), SFO-EWR (no.1 on list) , SFO-SMF (cleared)... coming back Wednesday night SMF-DEN (cleared), DEN-FLL (cleared).. going for a full house !
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post
I have a flight tomorrow SFO-EWR with GPU applied - flight 2080. I have checked in and it looks like I am number 1 on list (M.Gib) what are chances of clearing , and it it likely to be at gate, or will I get to go to Polaris lounge? Would be my 1st GPU clearing on premium route.

Got lucky with rest of trip on CPUs - PBI - EWR (cleared), SFO-EWR (no.1 on list) , SFO-SMF (cleared)... coming back Wednesday night SMF-DEN (cleared), DEN-FLL (cleared).. going for a full house !
Even if you do clear, there’s no Polaris lounge access on domestic itineraries.
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC

Looks like your EWR-SFO did clear now?! Yes, as posted above, you don't get Polaris lounge access but do get UC departure and arrival.
simonoaks likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Looks like your EWR-SFO did clear now?! Yes, as posted above, you don't get Polaris lounge access but do get UC departure and arrival.
Ah, I don't know. Will look, have not been getting any email for any of my upgrades recently. No Polaris lounge on premium route? wow, sucks.
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Yes I cleared into 2F (no.2 on list cleared into 5F ) . Then it suddenly jumped to Full. What causes 5 open seats one minute, 2 clear , then suddenly full?
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:40 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Yes I cleared into 2F (no.2 on list cleared into 5F ) . Then it suddenly jumped to Full. What causes 5 open seats one minute, 2 clear , then suddenly full?
TODs.
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
TODs.
and the SDC window opening and those that cleared from the non-visible list and never appeared on the gate list and ....
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 10, 19 at 1:01 pm Reason: rephrased
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:11 pm

ORD - MEL
13 Sept depart, land 15 Sept

Using GPU for wife - no status

Chicago, IL, US (ORD) to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX)
10:00 am - 12:27 pm (4h 27m)
UA 531 Boeing 757-300

Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) to Melbourne, VIC, AU (MEL)
10:45 pm - 7:30 am (15h 45m)
UA 98 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Available fare classes:J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z8 ZN8 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0Y 9YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X0
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This far out it's anyone's guess; ORD-LAX is generally poor odds and I'd give the classic 40% for LAX-MEL.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:20 pm

Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Originally Posted by findark View Post
This far out it's anyone's guess; ORD-LAX is generally poor odds and I'd give the classic 40% for LAX-MEL.
Yes, better odds on MEL flight (vs SYD flights).
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mayday23 View Post
Available fare classes:J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z8 ZN8 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0Y 9YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X0
You need to search LAX-MEL separately to gauge upgrade chances.
Old Jun 10, 19, 6:32 pm

I was wondering, as you need to check in again, to change seats after checking in T-24, if you have checked in, then had a RPU clear, but later wanted to change to different seat. If you go through the checkin process again, in order to change seats, could you lose the upgrade if the new checkin is viewed by the system as first time checkin and therefore could bump you if your upgrade was based on a tie situation using time of checkin as the decider ? I have cleared on the above flight, but a better seat has opened (4K instead of 2L )
thx

Search this Thread