Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Old Sep 10, 22, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Up to one week in advance, mo more
And only on the mobile website.
Old Sep 10, 22, 5:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
And only on the mobile website.
Works on normal website for me.
Old Sep 10, 22, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ajgarett View Post
Currently have my mom waitlisted with my 1K pluspoints, she's fare class L and no United status though, so she's probably towards the bottom of the upgrade list.]..
Regardless of whether the upgrade happens, wouldn't your mom inherit your status from your Pluspoints so she should be ranked as a 1K on an L fare in the list? I thought this was the standard
Old Sep 10, 22, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
Regardless of whether the upgrade happens, wouldn't your mom inherit your status from your Pluspoints so she should be ranked as a 1K on an L fare in the list? I thought this was the standard
Nope. That was true many moons ago.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 11, 22, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if that were true -- and it assuredly is not -- it wouldn't help much, as most of the other people on the waitlist are probably also using PlusPoints. PP are much more common than miles+copay upgrades.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 11, 22, 9:12 am

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
I thought that too, but she was #16 for 9 seats, so I'm assuming the status isn't transferred. Though maybe SIN-SFO has enough 1Ks & GSes that everyone in the list has 1K/GS PPs applied?

Either way, definitely not getting upgraded unless we pay... and the website isn't showing me the price to upgrade, or the flight as eligible to upgrade.
Old Sep 16, 22, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Looks very promising (UA 5 on Tuesday) because there are many seats available in Polaris cabin (unless a large group of pax did not select seats.).
Good luck.
Update: upgrades cleared about a week out. There were 13 open seats in Polaris when upgrades cleared. Our upgrades cleared at the same time as a few others but it looks like we were the only ones on the waitlist in the premium plus cabin which was surprising to me because the cabin was booked full! No complaints here.
jsloan and Kmxu like this.
Old Sep 16, 22, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Ended up booking the IAD-FRA option, curious to see what the thoughts are on it now. The flight is in a couple of weeks on a Thursday.

IAD-FRA, 10:15pm flight. 772. J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z7 ZN7 P6 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O5 ON5 A1 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X9
27 seats in J show as available to pick on ExpertFlyer as of now. I am booked in the W bucket I believe. Economy is pretty empty and PE is a little over half full. I don't expect to make it but hopefully will at least have an empty seat next to me in Y if/when it comes to that. Any chance for me?
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by bigwings View Post
So I'm flying ORD to MUC Sept 27 - Oct 3. Flights UA953 (V fare) outbound and UA952 (Q fare) inbound. There are seven open seats currently on outbound, six on return flight. PZ/PN inventory shows zero on both flights.

A good friend (1k) had PlusPoints to burn and we did some negotiating. Now I'm waitlisted for upgrades on both segments.

I used to be a Delta warrior, but thankfully I don't have to travel for work much now and have given up my statuses in everything except Marriott. So I'm a no status UA bum right now.

My question: does anyone think there is a shot at an upgrade here? I have no idea on what to expect and navigating United's system for me is completely foreign. I've searched here and other forums and can't quite get an answer to what I'm looking for. I know instrument supported upgrades have some priority, but as to the odds of it happening given this information I haven't a clue. Thanks in advance!

Not sure how this happened given the sentiment and input kindly provided on this board, but my outbound cleared into Polaris several days ago. Got lucky or maybe United IT was drunk, no idea but I'll take it. Waiting on return flight. Currently two seats open in Polaris (down from six). Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen. Anyway, to anyone reading this: even if the chances are slim you still might get lucky!
jsloan and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure how this happened given the sentiment and input kindly provided on this board, but my outbound cleared into Polaris several days ago. Got lucky or maybe United IT was drunk, no idea but I'll take it. Waiting on return flight. Currently two seats open in Polaris (down from six). Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen. Anyway, to anyone reading this: even if the chances are slim you still might get lucky!
Maybe there were some cancellations on your outbound, and/or UA is more willing to clear upgrades on a Tuesday eastbound TATL than on other days. But either way, congrats! Eastbound J is more valuable than westbound J IMO for the sleep alone.

I'd expect Monday westbound TATL to be a much tougher bet in general. With J2 just under two weeks out, your chances are basically zero, but as your experience suggests, lightning might strike twice!
tstauck likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
Maybe there were some cancellations on your outbound, and/or UA is more willing to clear upgrades on a Tuesday eastbound TATL than on other days. But either way, congrats! Eastbound J is more valuable than westbound J IMO for the sleep alone.

I'd expect Monday westbound TATL to be a much tougher bet in general. With J2 just under two weeks out, your chances are basically zero, but as your experience suggests, lightning might strike twice!
I 100% agree about having it on the eastbound leg. Fingers crossed for that lightning now.
Old Sep 20, 22, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
I 100% agree about having it on the eastbound leg. Fingers crossed for that lightning now.
Summer is almost over. So, the chance for lightning is small. But in the airlines business, it is just opposite. So, you will have a chance.
Good luck.
Old Sep 20, 22, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Not unless Oktoberfest is canceled.

With only six seats available for sale, three weeks ahead of travel, during Oktoberfest, nobody is getting upgraded. They will sell all of those seats.
Well, that'll teach me to be so definitive. I guess UA overplayed their hand and you came out victorious. Excellent!
Old Sep 22, 22, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Haven't flown on Thanksgiving in years but I am on the 7am SFO to EWR flight with PPs applied. I have heard loads are light Thanksgiving AM and would love to clear some of these PPs. It looked pretty open but of course got waitlisted, any thoughts on what usually is a horrible flight to attempt an upgrade on?

Last edited by nomad420; Sep 22, 22 at 6:55 pm
Old Sep 25, 22, 6:48 am

Programs: Show me the points!
These days, what are the chances of an upgrade using cash+copay from Premium Eco -> Business on UA1/2?

Search this Thread