Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:22 pm

yes, 30K, had 60 on the brain. flight is on a Friday night tho
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReverendCJM
yes, 30K, had 60 on the brain. flight is on a Friday night tho
Friday night is tougher but not impossible. I'm not making any guarantees -- just that you probably have a better chance, as no-status members, on that flight than on any other long-haul flight in the entire network.

The cash buy-up price may drop as departure approaches, also.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Today, 4:25 pm

Just my imagination - hypothetical situation and won't actually consider doing given risk and ethics. Given how hard it is to clear Polaris upgrades these days, what if say you book a Y ticket and request the upgrade. You also 'block' 6-9 seats in J by booking fully refundable tickets using different names and hit cancel maybe 24-48 hrs before departure. Has anyone tried this? Based on trends, will the system release lots of PZ space or at least higher % of upgrades clearing (assuming those who were going to purchase the J seats would go to a different flight/airline). I'm guessing it's very high risk as if United denies the refund, you'll be on the hook for close to $50K in some instances. Also i'm sure it probably violates UA t&c but not sure if anyone has done research on this.
Old Today, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FlyerMad27
Just my imagination - hypothetical situation and won't actually consider doing given risk and ethics. Given how hard it is to clear Polaris upgrades these days, what if say you book a Y ticket and request the upgrade. You also 'block' 6-9 seats in J by booking fully refundable tickets using different names and hit cancel maybe 24-48 hrs before departure. Has anyone tried this?
Yes, it's been done. It's a well-known approach that will almost certainly get you into lots of trouble with United.
jsloan likes this.
Old Today, 7:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerMad27
... Has anyone tried this? ....
First I heard about this was 30+ years ago and it was well worn by then. 20 years ago when I first joined FT, there was report of someone getting kicked out of MP for doing this and they only blocked a couple of seats.

Air carriers have long used big data mining and now AI to detect these well know anomalies.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.