Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 12, 19, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
... GA says it was alphabetical.....
Few UA employees understand the upgrade process and many employees have mis-guided opinions on how it works. There may be an alphabetic element to the sorting of passengers on a common PNR, which may have an influence on how PNRs are split and / or e-ticket numbers
Old Dec 13, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre 
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Not true, at the gate there are no ties as the last tiebreaker is sequence number which is unique to each passenger. Before the gate it is time of request which may be the same for all on a common PNR, but in that case all must clear together.
Sequence number = order of check-in, just for the word.
Old Dec 13, 19, 2:40 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but I applied some PlusPoints for my parent's upcoming flight.
The longer flight cleared and the other is still waitlisted. They are no-status GMs. Can they get complimentary access to Economy Plus if the upgrade doesn't clear on that shorter flight since it already redeemed the PlusPoints for the whole segment?
Old Dec 13, 19, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but I applied some PlusPoints for my parent's upcoming flight.
The longer flight cleared and the other is still waitlisted. They are no-status GMs. Can they get complimentary access to Economy Plus if the upgrade doesn't clear on that shorter flight since it already redeemed the PlusPoints for the whole segment?
Sadly, no.
Old Dec 13, 19, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mr8 View Post
As above no. You can of course buy E+, see what they want for them on the shorter flight since you cleared the long one. I have had to do this with my family as well. Good Luck.
Old Dec 13, 19, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
... You can of course buy E+, see what they want for them on the shorter flight since you cleared the long one. ....
If the upgrade does clear, the E+ fee will be refunded
nomad420 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 19, 5:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
SFO - TPE - SFO on Dec. 26th and returning Dec. 30th.

Booked into Prem Plus on an R Fare, and used 30 points each way to waitlist for Polaris. (60 points total). Cabin doesn't look too bad via seat map and both ways showing j9. Agent said a "few" GS in front of me, but nothing crazy. Can I expect to clear sometime this week instead of T72?
Old Dec 14, 19, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumples View Post
Can I expect to clear sometime this week instead of T72?
The answer to this question is always that you should not expect to clear any waitlisted instrument. Then, the corollary is, if you clear, you should not expect to clear at any given time.

I donít mean to be flippant: in past years, UA would have opened up upgrade space for flights between Christmas and New Yearsí well in advance. In many cases, they are holding back upgrades further and further in the hopes of being able to sell the seats. This includes multiple reports of PZ space never appearing on wide-open cabins, resulting in upgrades being cleared at the gate although it had been clear for days that there would most likely be space available.
Old Dec 15, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, AS MVP, HHonors Silver
I understand this can only be done much closer to departure, but Can GS people only call and force upgrades for themselves, or anyone on their upgrade instruments? That Saturday UA48 people are taking the windows like there's no tomorrow and the middle section is wide open...and then it hurts to see Sunday the next day with many window (and non-window) seats wide open to the point that they've opened up D fare seats on that flight whereas mine is still just J and C
Old Dec 15, 19, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
I understand this can only be done much closer to departure, but Can GS people only call and force upgrades for themselves, or anyone on their upgrade instruments? ....
Short answer is Yes -- see the link for details
However, this could be last-minute bookings or
this could be cash upgrades
or upgrades clearing for higher status waitlisters.

All possible
Old Dec 15, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, AS MVP, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Short answer is Yes -- see the link for details
However, this could be last-minute bookings or
this could be cash upgrades
or upgrades clearing for higher status waitlisters.

All possible
Ahh of course, and yes completely understand with the last second bookings and cash upgrades. I'll potentially have our friend ring up the GS line. Will be interesting though as we satisfy all the requirements in that thread except that we are #2 and #3 (as of a few minutes ago) and not #1 and #2 so we shall see. Also I forgot to include this in the original post but our GS friend isn't actually traveling with us. He just used his expiring upgrades to waitlist us. Hope that doesn't change anything.

Edit: Just read the fine print "GS must be traveling with ..... etc etc etc". Whelp, looks like we'll have to wait until day of to see if hopefully we clear.

Last edited by flyingrohit; Dec 15, 19 at 2:04 pm
Old Dec 15, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
I have EWR -> ORD -> EWR planned for 12/27. I'm 1K, but just got it so not sure of upgrade routes. And this is like primary hub to primary hub route. So I can't even imagine getting this CPU. Buttttt it is the day after the day after Christmas. Think I have a shot? Think I'm on a 6AM to Chicago and then a 2PM back.
Old Dec 15, 19, 5:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The answer to this question is always that you should not expect to clear any waitlisted instrument. Then, the corollary is, if you clear, you should not expect to clear at any given time.

I donít mean to be flippant: in past years, UA would have opened up upgrade space for flights between Christmas and New Yearsí well in advance. In many cases, they are holding back upgrades further and further in the hopes of being able to sell the seats. This includes multiple reports of PZ space never appearing on wide-open cabins, resulting in upgrades being cleared at the gate although it had been clear for days that there would most likely be space available.
Definitely didn't take it offensively! I used to see the same thing - wide open on the 25th - 31st, or even 1st. Will cross my fingers and report back here!
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 15, 19, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by kac2138 View Post
I have EWR -> ORD -> EWR planned for 12/27. I'm 1K, but just got it so not sure of upgrade routes. And this is like primary hub to primary hub route. So I can't even imagine getting this CPU. Buttttt it is the day after the day after Christmas. Think I have a shot? Think I'm on a 6AM to Chicago and then a 2PM back.
I don't think that there is much hope on the return (we're talking about UA # at 2:30pm, yes?).

As far as the outbound is concerned, it depends on which flight you mean. There is UA #2139 at 5:30am and UA #365 at 6:30am. They straddle the 6:00am time you quote. There is very little availability on the 6:30am flight, whereas there is a reasonable shot on the 5:30am flight. There are at least 9 seats available up front on #2139 ; and although PZ = 0, PN and P are both at least 1. There are only four seats in first available on #365 , and none of the upgrade buckets have availability; it's a story very similar to that on your return flight.
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by iapetus View Post
I don't think that there is much hope on the return (we're talking about UA # at 2:30pm, yes?).

As far as the outbound is concerned, it depends on which flight you mean. There is UA #2139 at 5:30am and UA #365 at 6:30am. They straddle the 6:00am time you quote. There is very little availability on the 6:30am flight, whereas there is a reasonable shot on the 5:30am flight. There are at least 9 seats available up front on #2139 ; and although PZ = 0, PN and P are both at least 1. There are only four seats in first available on #365 , and none of the upgrade buckets have availability; it's a story very similar to that on your return flight.
I was wrong. Just checked. Assistant put me on 977 at 7:29. Not sure if being slightly later helps or hurts. Looks like a lot of availability so far.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: