Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 21, 20, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Thank you for the info. I believe he was not aware that he’d be able to upgrade both the departure and connecting flight for 80 points total and the agent he spoke to did not suggest it either. I spoke with a UA rep and she said if only the ORD-SFO leg gets upgraded, he will only be charged 20 PP (80 point deduction then 60 point refund) Also found this info on the UA site:

https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...ct-your-points
https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...ccordion-faq-7
Old Feb 21, 20, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Noticed UA 839 LAX-SYD last night went out with 5 open seats up front and E+ pretty wide open.
Old May 21, 20, 3:02 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Pre-COVID, which mainland US-Japan UA routes generally had the best chances of MUA/PP clearance off the waitlist? This question assumes all day of week / seasonality factors are held equal.

Specifically trying to decide between IAD-HND, ORD-HND, and DEN-NRT on 12/20/20. All are basically empty cabins right now except for three aisle seats in the back blocked (I'm guessing for crew). Also, since DEN-NRT is old J, one seat in each pair is blocked for COVID.

IAD is J6, but ORD and DEN are J9.

Last edited by mcrw00; May 21, 20 at 3:25 pm Reason: Added more information
Old May 21, 20, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
Pre-COVID, which US-Japan UA routes generally had the best chances of MUA/PP clearance off the waitlist?
I had 100% success on HNL-NRT flights
mcrw00 likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Pre-COVID, which mainland US-Japan UA routes generally had the best chances of MUA/PP clearance off the waitlist? This question assumes all day of week / seasonality factors are held equal.
I typically haven't looked at Midwest/East Coast-Japan routes, but LAX-NRT was a usually good bet for PZ availability eventually opening up.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Specifically trying to decide between IAD-HND, ORD-HND, and DEN-NRT on 12/20/20. All are basically empty cabins right now except for three aisle seats in the back blocked (I'm guessing for crew). Also, since DEN-NRT is old J, one seat in each pair is blocked for COVID.
Assuming aircraft assignments return mostly to pre-pandemic "normals" by then, my vote would be for IAD or ORD. DEN on the 788 has the smallest J cabin by far--I believe UA had only been selling J to 28 (the capacity in the new Polaris configuration) and upgrading up to eight pax at the gate if the old 36J configuration was due to operate the flight. Seems weird that IAD is at J6 now--I'd watch that for a few days to make sure it's not a glitch or anything, and if it goes back to J9 ... P9 then I'd feel equally good about that and ORD.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 20, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
Anyone have experience on PlusPoint upgrades clearing on flights in these times? I am looking at EWR-LAX on a 78J, showing P9 PN9, PZ0 approximately 2 weeks out. Are these filling up last minute, or would I (as a 1K) likely clear?
Old Jul 4, 20, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Anyone have experience on PlusPoint upgrades clearing on flights in these times? I am looking at EWR-LAX on a 78J, showing P9 PN9, PZ0 approximately 2 weeks out. Are these filling up last minute, or would I (as a 1K) likely clear?
I am 5 for 5 on PlusPoint upgrades on the EWR - LAX - EWR run in the last thirty days. I haven't purchased a ticket more than four days before and two in less less than 24 hours preflight. Three 787-10s and two 767 Hi-J. It seems at the moment that the higher number of J seats out strip paying demand. Passenger loads are increasing and I'm seeing 2 -3 1K's pre-boarding as opposed to the 1 and sometimes 2.
PsiFighter37 and tstauck like this.
Old Jul 4, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
I am 5 for 5 on PlusPoint upgrades on the EWR - LAX - EWR run in the last thirty days. I haven't purchased a ticket more than four days before and two in less less than 24 hours preflight. Three 787-10s and two 767 Hi-J. It seems at the moment that the higher number of J seats out strip paying demand. Passenger loads are increasing and I'm seeing 2 -3 1K's pre-boarding as opposed to the 1 and sometimes 2.
Thanks! Very helpful color, although I know demand is going up. I will tally up all of the ETCs that I have and figure out what to do...
Old Oct 5, 20, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
In the last 2 weeks, I have had 3 p.s. trans-con legs (2X EWR-LAX and 1X LAX-EWR) that did not clear. 3 out of 4. Not to mention, I am multiple down on the UG list.

This is the only subset of flights that I have issues with. I am 100% on all CPU routes since March.

Going to be very tough for me to utilize my PP's this year if the p.s. market has already come back this strong and upgrades are once again nearly impossible. Hopefully I can extend them a bit into next year, or I will probably leave around 300 on the table.
Old Oct 5, 20, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jjmoore View Post
In the last 2 weeks, I have had 3 p.s. trans-con legs (2X EWR-LAX and 1X LAX-EWR) that did not clear. 3 out of 4. Not to mention, I am multiple down on the UG list.

This is the only subset of flights that I have issues with. I am 100% on all CPU routes since March.

Going to be very tough for me to utilize my PP's this year if the p.s. market has already come back this strong and upgrades are once again nearly impossible. Hopefully I can extend them a bit into next year, or I will probably leave around 300 on the table.
So, on the CPU routes, you've not had to/needed to apply PPs?

David
Old Oct 5, 20, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
So, on the CPU routes, you've not had to/needed to apply PPs?

David
No. Haven't had to apply PP's to anything CPU-able. Maybe I would have felt better had I done that, but then again, on many flights, most of the upgrade list clears and there have been open seats in F on some flights.
Old Oct 5, 20, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
No. Haven't had to apply PP's to anything CPU-able. Maybe I would have felt better had I done that, but then again, on many flights, most of the upgrade list clears and there have been open seats in F on some flights.
Then I offer a test of your 1K-hood - apply your PPs on 8:30 am LAX-IAD or SFO-IAD 788 flights (and still making the 5:30-ish connect to EWR) and/or the 6:15 pm IAD-LAX 788 (or 5:55 pm IAD-SFO) returns.

If you do make the jump into domestic F/J, you'll get a snack box. If you don't, E+ will be empty (but no snack box).

David
Old Oct 5, 20, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Then I offer a test of your 1K-hood - apply your PPs on 8:30 am LAX-IAD or SFO-IAD 788 flights (and still making the 5:30-ish connect to EWR) and/or the 6:15 pm IAD-LAX 788 (or 5:55 pm IAD-SFO) returns.

If you do make the jump into domestic F/J, you'll get a snack box. If you don't, E+ will be empty (but no snack box).

David
Looking at Friday's IAD-LAX... J is zeroed out already. The 6:30pm EWR-LAX is only showing J3, which is not a good sign. I'm currently booked ATL-ORD-LAX on Friday evening .. will probably stick to it since my upgrade chances appear better.
Old Oct 5, 20, 10:39 pm

While on most EWR ↔ SFO flights (except 752s) there are at least a dozen non revs sitting in the first class cabin

Search this Thread