Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 22, 4:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 22, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by n12hx View Post
I don't think it's actually 45/50, with Prem+ so overbooked and Y full. I can't imagine that they're planning to downgrade 22 folks (or invol bump them or other Y pax). It just seems like such an odd set-up on UA's part.
UA has done mass downgrades many times before.

That said, it does seem likely they're at least partially reflecting the oversale in the booked figures (though normally that would show as a block, not as booked seats). The seatmap currently shows 21 empty J seats, while inventory shows as J5. But the math really doesn't work if PE is in fact oversold by 22.
n12hx likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's actually 45/50, with Prem+ so overbooked and Y full. I can't imagine that they're planning to downgrade 22 folks (or invol bump them or other Y pax). It just seems like such an odd set-up on UA's part.
I'm not 100% sure that I trust UA's IT. I do believe you're correct that J is half-full at the moment, and P+ is showing as vastly oversold. But I'm having a hard time believing that UA really managed to sell twice its allotment of P+ seats. If that turns out to be a glitch, the op-up might never materialize. If it's accurate, though, the likelihood of an op-up seems quite high if they take the time to follow the prescribed procedure. If they don't... I'd hate to hate my P+ expire when they could have secured a TATL seat.

ETA: One other thought. If they happen to swap out this plane for one without a P+ cabin, I'd sure rather have a waitlisted PP upgrade -- better yet, a cleared upgrade, if they get so generous -- than a hope for an op-up from an economy fare with an upgrade sticker.
n12hx likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 5:06 pm

Programs: Most of em.
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I'm not 100% sure that I trust UA's IT. I do believe you're correct that J is half-full at the moment, and P+ is showing as vastly oversold. But I'm having a hard time believing that UA really managed to sell twice its allotment of P+ seats. If that turns out to be a glitch, the op-up might never materialize. If it's accurate, though, the likelihood of an op-up seems quite high if they take the time to follow the prescribed procedure. If they don't... I'd hate to hate my P+ expire when they could have secured a TATL seat.

ETA: One other thought. If they happen to swap out this plane for one without a P+ cabin, I'd sure rather have a waitlisted PP upgrade -- better yet, a cleared upgrade, if they get so generous -- than a hope for an op-up from an economy fare with an upgrade sticker.
Fair points...worst case, I spend PPs that I didn't need to, but in all likelihood, I might not have the ability to spend them in the future anyways before they expire.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 5, 22, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
worst case, I spend PPs that I didn't need to
If I'm comparing outcomes, I much prefer that to being stuck in Y or PE for 8 hours with 40 more PP in my account.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and n12hx like this.
Old Aug 6, 22, 4:34 pm

Programs: MP Silver
What are the odds of clearing a MUA for ORD to HNL in october? Is there a low season for hawaii travel where the odds are good or is it just constantly swamped now?
Old Aug 6, 22, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahzor View Post
What are the odds of clearing a MUA for ORD to HNL in october? Is there a low season for hawaii travel where the odds are good or is it just constantly swamped now?
For a Premier Silver on the nonstop? I wouldnt like my chances. Maybe midweek, but even then its unlikely.

As a 1K, I wouldnt like my chances either. I dont think theres a real offseason for Hawaii travel at the moment.
Old Aug 7, 22, 9:05 am

October is low season but I agree with jsloan. There's no good time of year for a Silver to clear that route.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 22, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Definitely probably not

A "take the buy-up and don't look back" situation.
Amusingly, (a) a few hours after I pulled the trigger on the upgrade, my ExpertFlyer seat notification went off; 21F had become available. And (b) it was the first leg of a connecting flight, delayed to the point that my connection looked very iffy, so I ended up standing by (and clearing) onto an earlier flight, back in Y (although at least I got an E+ aisle).
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
So the transcon LAX EWR then on to RIC which was booked in W for around $190 All In has some benefits as to booking class.

Im booked on the 787s Coast to Coast and applied plus points. Perhaps the W will help me??
Old Aug 9, 22, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
So the transcon LAX EWR then on to RIC which was booked in W for around $190 All In has some benefits as to booking class.

Im booked on the 787s Coast to Coast and applied plus points. Perhaps the W will help me??
PPs and W will definitely help. However, I found that buying up to W was generally not worth the gamble.
Old Aug 9, 22, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

I’m booked on the 787’s Coast to Coast and applied plus points. Perhaps the W will help me??
I checked my receipt. It was $172 (memory inflation got you!!). I got this price after rebooking. The price was dropping several times that day.
Regarding your upgrade chance, it is much higher than SFO-EWR. It is too early to tell. I have not replied to your pm. I will be on a Italy-Spain trip until the end of this month.

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
PPs and W will definitely help. However, I found that buying up to W was generally not worth the gamble.
It was a sort of mistake fare. The fare was in W class, United's computer thought that B6 still operated RIC-LAX nonstop and tried to beat B6 to the punch.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I totally understand. However the low cost fare that I purchased, somehow booked into W. Therefore, Im looking forward to see if the additional class helps. Rather than STLK booking classes

Hat Tip: Kmxu
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 22, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
I have gotten in on that one as well (but different routing) I am flying the fare during Labor Day weekend.

Thanks again Kmxu
Old Aug 9, 22, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I checked my receipt. It was $172 (memory inflation got you!!). I got this price after rebooking. The price was dropping several times that day.
Regarding your upgrade chance, it is much higher than SFO-EWR. It is too early to tell. I have not replied to your pm. I will be on a Italy-Spain trip until the end of this month.

Thanks ill send you a PM when I know my exact time in RIC. I paid about $10 more than you did, I didnt re-price for the 10 bucks. I thought United could use the money to get better champagne for PDBs

It was a sort of mistake fare. The fare was in W class, United's computer thought that B6 still operated RIC-LAX nonstop and tried to beat B6 to the punch.
There is a thread about UA having higher booking classes with the same fare more or less, then the lower booking classes. I wonder if this had something to do with it. Anyway thanks again for the tip
Old Aug 9, 22, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
There is a thread about UA having higher booking classes with the same fare more or less, then the lower booking classes. I wonder if this had something to do with it. Anyway thanks again for the tip
This one? High fare (class) but low bookings with lower fare published

David

Search this Thread