Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old May 18, 19, 1:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 21, 19, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Booked 33/48, and PN4 is obviously a positive. But my basic rule is don't pay extra to waitlist, only to confirm. This might be a good scenario for waitlisting the MP upgrade.
thanks. We ended up taking the shot. It was C$1000 to upfare both of us to W, and we both have GPUs which might otherwise go unutilized this year. This is the first time in about 3 years I have played the upgrade lottery. Fingers crossed!
Old Apr 21, 19, 9:20 am

Apologies in advance if I'm stated anything wrong, first time doing this. My flight is already booked so no changing at this point, although I've read a lot that will help me next time I do something like this.
No status, Fare is G.

UA 870 SYD to SFO on 5/31:

37 of 48 are booked right now.
PZ is 0
J/JN are 6.

I submitted a MP waitlist upgrade. Any ideas on odds of an upgrade? Mostly curious. It was totally worth the gamble based on the cost in miles and copay vs the bought upgrade and if it doesn't work nothing lost.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 19, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mloradites View Post
37 of 48 are booked right now.
PZ is 0
J/JN are 6.
When you're searching for inventory for upgrade purposes, you have to search just the flight you're interested in. It's actually J9 JN9 C3 D0, not J6. J6 would indicate a substantial oversell over the economy cabin. J9, unfortunately, does not.

Your odds of clearing are very low. With only 11 seats for sale this far away from departure, there's a good chance UA sells most or all of those seats. If there are any seats available at check-in, you may get an upgrade offer. Any upgrades that do occur -- and it's likely there will be none -- will be prioritized by status.
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
When you're searching for inventory for upgrade purposes, you have to search just the flight you're interested in. It's actually J9 JN9 C3 D0, not J6. J6 would indicate a substantial oversell over the economy cabin. J9, unfortunately, does not.

Your odds of clearing are very low. With only 11 seats for sale this far away from departure, there's a good chance UA sells most or all of those seats. If there are any seats available at check-in, you may get an upgrade offer. Any upgrades that do occur -- and it's likely there will be none -- will be prioritized by status.
Ahh ok that makes sense for the buckets. I'm flying onward to IAD to get home so I guess that combo got me the J6 result. Thanks for the education.

I felt like low was probably what someone would say, but still worth the shot since it's refundable.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by mloradites View Post
Ahh ok that makes sense for the buckets. I'm flying onward to IAD to get home so I guess that combo got me the J6 result. Thanks for the education.

I felt like low was probably what someone would say, but still worth the shot since it's refundable.

Thanks!
Six weeks out, you want to see 25% of the cabin (or less) booked.
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
UA 1016 on Monday, SFO-IAD. B fare on a 738.

I'm not holding my breath. 2 seats left, a Monday, and with me checked in more than 24 hours out, sure, I'm #1 , but I expect that to drop significantly come later today and tomorrow as others check in (I may be the only person checked in at the moment based on that list...).
Failed, as expected. Just checked in full a moment ago.

I have stayed #1 on the list the entire time, from check-in at 9:50am TPE time on Sunday all the way up until they checked in full at just beyond an hour from departure. I'm kind of surprised no one with higher priority every checked in (like a GS who hadn't already cleared, or a 1K on a Y). Appears they sold at least one of the last 2 seats via upfare (it disappeared very shortly after they released ZN inventory), and the other, who knows?

Sigh. I hate trying to upgrade this route!
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:27 am

Can anyone tell me what the chances of an upgrade are?

UA 5 IAH-LHR on May 15
Currently J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z6 ZN6 P3 PN0 PZ0 with 27/48 booked.

Thx!
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Could someone please explain the highlighted section to me? Iím trying to make sense of it but canít
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker View Post

Could someone please explain the highlighted section to me? Iím trying to make sense of it but canít
If only 37 of 48 seats were actually sold, but only 6 left in inventory, it would imply an inventory block of 5 additional seats (although I forget if the "booked" count on the desktop site is inclusive of blocks). That usually only happens if Y is overbooked.
jsloan and whipwhitaker like this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by findark View Post
If only 37 of 48 seats were actually sold, but only 6 left in inventory, it would imply an inventory block of 5 additional seats (although I forget if the "booked" count on the desktop site is inclusive of blocks). That usually only happens if Y is overbooked.
THANKS!
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
UA 681 SFO-LAS May 3
2 pax (1 GS), J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN1 PZ0

Debating applying RPUs or holding off for CPU.

UA 2360 LAS-SFO May 5
Same pax, J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0

Also debating RPU/CPU.

Goal is obviously to fly up front.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
UA 681 SFO-LAS May 3
2 pax (1 GS), J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN1 PZ0

UA 2360 LAS-SFO May 5
Same pax, J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0

Also debating RPU/CPU.

Goal is obviously to fly up front.

Thoughts?
My $0.02 (and I am a pessimist) with J9 I would roll the dice for a CPU. Having said that I recently just did a SFO-LAS-SFO run with RPUs in place (posted it here). Didn't clear either way but that was out on a Friday and back on a Monday. Don't remember exactly but I think J was much less at 1 week out.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
UA 681 SFO-LAS May 3

UA 2360 LAS-SFO May 5
Also debating RPU/CPU.
Unless you have a huge surplus of RPUs, it is a waste of an RPU for a 400-ish flight
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Unless you have a huge surplus of RPUs, it is a waste of an RPU for a 400-ish flight
There isn't a HUGE surplus, but January always tends to be "give these to distance acquaintances or they'll expire" month, hence why the option's on the table. I guess we can wait until T-120 to see if anything clears, and then apply them closer to departure.
Old Apr 26, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I booked PHX - NRT on 9/28/19 and coming back 10/11/2019 through SFO. I am a 1K and used 2 GPU's to upgrade my W fare. Out of SFO, I am on UA837, and inbound UA838.
1) Historically, are these flights difficult to upgrade during those time periods?
2) I am still in the 24 hour booking window, would you cancel this and look for something closer to flight times?

Search this Thread