Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 5, 22, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post
Well it now says 40 with 6 blocked, plus rear is 3 over booked and middle ( P+) is 4 overbooked. We are still 1 and 2 on upgrade list.
How do you know you're #1 & 2 on the upgrade list for the July 14th flight?
Old Jul 6, 22, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
How do you know you're #1 & 2 on the upgrade list for the July 14th flight?
Friends in high places.
Old Jul 7, 22, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flying out to SFO in ~3.5 weeks. Have three options to book (one direct and two indirect). Trying to gauge which has the best chance of upgrade clearing (using 15k miles upgrade from H fare). If the answer is none, then I'll just stick with the RDU - SFO direct for obvious reasons

RDU - SFO (739):
  • J9,JN9,C9,D7,Z4,ZN4,P0,PN0,PZ0
RDU - DEN - SFO (738 --> 777)
  • J9,JN9,C9,D7,Z2,ZN2,P0,PN0,PZ0
  • J8,JN8,C5,D1,Z0,ZN0,P0,PN0,PZ0
RDU - EWR - SFO (737 --> 789)
  • J9,JN9,C9,D8,Z6,ZN6,P5,PN2,PZ0
  • J9,JN9,C9,D9,Z9,ZN9,P0,PN0,PZ0

Somewhat tempted to go RDU - EWR - SFO because I could confirm to PE at least for 8k miles (and no co-pay) which would be better than not clearing elsewhere

Last edited by Duke787; Jul 7, 22 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 7, 22, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A confirmed PE upgrade seems like the clear winner to me. Also the RDU-EWR seems likely to clear.
Old Jul 7, 22, 2:03 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by findark View Post
A confirmed PE upgrade seems like the clear winner to me. Also the RDU-EWR seems likely to clear.
I would agree, stay way from HUB to HUB EWR->SFO. That is a PS flight to but I guess the miles upgrades work on PS flights.

I would think toss up for option 1 has the best chance and might even be worth just paying for any buyup offers that come along.
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
UA945 on July 9 FRA-ORD. What are the chances of upgrade from Premium Plus to Biz with 15k miles? or should I not try to speculate at all. I have no status. Thanks
Not only this did not work (J is booked full and I am in the middle of upgrade list) but I got downgraded from PP to economy due to equipment swap. What a joke of an airline this is. Will they agree to a free rerouting FRA-BRU-ORD where FRA-BRU is LH Y and BRU-ORD is PP? There is space.
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not only this did not work (J is booked full and I am in the middle of upgrade list) but I got downgraded from PP to economy due to equipment swap. What a joke of an airline this is. Will they agree to a free rerouting FRA-BRU-ORD where FRA-BRU is LH Y and BRU-ORD is PP? There is space.
Yes, you are entitled to reroute at no cost, but it may take some effort on your part, due to inexperienced and/or lazy UA phone agents who may wrongly claim PP is not a separate class of service.
Old Jul 7, 22, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yes, you are entitled to reroute at no cost, but it may take some effort on your part, due to inexperienced and/or lazy UA phone agents who may wrongly claim PP is not a separate class of service.
Thanks, they did put me on that flight. However, I forgot to ask about refund for my 15k miles used for J waitlist on the original flight. Is that refunded automatically?
Old Jul 7, 22, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks, they did put me on that flight. However, I forgot to ask about refund for my 15k miles used for J waitlist on the original flight. Is that refunded automatically?
My guess is everything that has happened will reduce the odds of it happening automatically. Either way (automatic re-deposit or call-in required), you won't know if it happens automatically unless you monitor your account activity.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 22, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Is there a consensus on which transpac to/from NRT is generally the easiest to upgrade to business? LAX vs. SFO vs. DEN vs. IAH vs. EWR vs. ORD, etc.? I think LAX has historically been the easiest. Looks like I might have to choose between IAH and SFO, though.

Another question for the experts: Is there a meaningful difference between NRT-XXX on Sunday vs. Monday? I assume Tu, Wed, Thu are the easiest, but they aren't an option for me.

Last edited by BigE; Jul 8, 22 at 11:43 am
Old Jul 8, 22, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Before calling in, you need to realize you did not buy a specific seat. UA sells transportation in a specific cabin or class of service. UA allows you to indicate a preference for a certain seat, but you dont pay for it. Contract of Carriage spells this out. Moving you was wrong (but not against the CoC), but complain about being moved, not about losing the seat you paid for. Subtle difference.
Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
They offered you $75 for something for which you were entitled $0.They can poach a paid seat because seat assignments are never guaranteed. Now, if they moved her to accommodate some VIP, thats inappropriate (but within the rules).

Its unlikely they would have moved her if your record hadnt been split. The PNRs were split when you have an instrument upgrade request applied and T-24 is reached. The only way to have avoided it would have been to remove the upgrade request prior to that time.
Fair enough. Splitting us up and moving her to the back was most definitely inappropriate. The lack of transparency, no notes, no explanation, is frustrating. We were also in the gate area 15 minutes prior and I don't believe her name was announced to see a gate agent as I believe it should have been under this circumstance.

I gave UA a break when they lost (misplaced) our luggage and we had to spend $800 out of pocket for off the rack clothing - the morning of - to attend my step-father's funeral. My bad for not calling them out on it and requesting reimbursement at the time. I'm not keen on letting this one slide. I just want some accountability.
Old Jul 9, 22, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yup it blocks upsells and SDCs, leaving the seats for gate upgrades.
It now shows: front 46/46 38 booked with 8 blocked

middle: 22/27 24 booked ( overbooked) plus 3 blocked

Rear: 99/ 100 103 ( overbooked ) plus 4 blocked.

We are still 1 and 2 on upgrade list, so does that mean we could still clear ? Thx
Old Jul 9, 22, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
I normally just go with the flow on these, but know there are some people here who have a lot of experience with HI...
I am on UA345 (IAD-HNL) next Sat (16 Jul). I'm 1K and applied +P about a month ago but I am sure there are quite a few ahead of me that would put +P months earlier.
I'm usually a "WFBF" guy rather than worry about it. Up till yesterday, the paid upgrade outbound was $2635 but last night it dropped to $1125 and this morning its $750.
Flt currently shows: J4 JN4 C2 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0
The price is well within my range (I have a bit of a "$100/hr" go/no-go for paid upgrades), but I just hate giving up on +P that are about to expire.
Maybe worth a trial subscription on EF to monitor. 11 hrs is a long time to lose out this close...
Suggestions from the experts?

I might be posting "cross topic" but is there a correlation between fare codes and paid upgrade cost? Last night when the price was $1125, it was showing C1 D0, now I notice with the $750, its J4 C2 D1. Would I be able to assume that if someone snagged the $750 upgrade, that I might go back to C1 D0 and a $1125 offer?
Maybe thats a discussion more suited for the Fare Buckets thread...

Last edited by huey_driver; Jul 9, 22 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 9, 22, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by huey_driver View Post
I normally just go with the flow on these, but know there are some people here who have a lot of experience with HI...
I am on UA345 (IAD-HNL) next Sat (16 Jul). I'm 1K and applied +P about a month ago but I am sure there are quite a few ahead of me that would put +P months earlier.
I'm usually a "WFBF" guy rather than worry about it. Up till yesterday, the paid upgrade outbound was $2635 but last night it dropped to $1125 and this morning its $750.
Flt currently shows: J4 JN4 C2 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0
The price is well within my range (I have a bit of a "$100/hr" go/no-go for paid upgrades), but I just hate giving up on +P that are about to expire.
Absent a bunch of cancels, I'll be surprised if more than 1 or 2 clears the upgrade. Your call whether it's worth $750 to sit up front (noting that this is a 764 with 2-1-2 Diamond seats).

Originally Posted by huey_driver View Post
I might be posting "cross topic" but is there a correlation between fare codes and paid upgrade cost? Last night when the price was $1125, it was showing C1 D0, now I notice with the $750, its J4 C2 D1. Would I be able to assume that if someone snagged the $750 upgrade, that I might go back to C1 D0 and a $1125 offer?
It will absolutely go back to C1 D0 immediately following a buy-up. Whether UA will then loosen inventory again depends on whether they have to do that to sell the seats rather than give them away for upgrades. Their strategy is always to favor the former over the latter, which is why it's unlikely more than 1 or 2 pax clear an upgrade on this flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 22, 9:55 am

I would pick that D fare before its gone!

Search this Thread