Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 23, 22, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
The only way a Platinum clears the Thursday flight on a CPU is if either SEA or EWR is in a pandemic lockdown, or the flight is delayed to the next morning. I agree with Kacee and cfischer; UA thinks it can sell those seats, and it's probably right -- if not by T-24, then during check-in. But if they do have any CPUs, they'll go to GSes or 1Ks.

12:45 AM Sunday morning, you might get a CPU if the stars align properly, but two? I wouldn't hold my breath.
Thanks--we will upgrade with miles!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:20 pm

Hi folks - I am a 1k based in SFO. My wife and I are planning to travel to India in peak December travel season. If I purchase premium economy tickets and apply plus points for business upgrade, I assume I am ahead of everyone on the priority list except GS? Any thoughts on clearing that upgrade?

I am also debating between the direct flights from SFO or transiting through EWR, IAH or ORD. I prefer the direct flights, but would choose the indirect routing if upgrade chances are better.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goatee87 View Post
Hi folks - I am a 1k based in SFO. My wife and I are planning to travel to India in peak December travel season. If I purchase premium economy tickets and apply plus points for business upgrade, I assume I am ahead of everyone on the priority list except GS?
Or other 1Ks on a higher fare class within PE, or any anyone on a GS instrument. The GS member doesn't have to be traveling.

Any thoughts on clearing that upgrade?
Well, the good news is that the flights are probably empty at the moment, because UA is trying hard not to sell any seats. The bad news is that if they don't get canceled, "peak travel season" and "SFO" are not a good combination for upgrades. Also, India has traditionally been a difficult upgrade on UA.

I am also debating between the direct flights from SFO or transiting through EWR, IAH or ORD. I prefer the direct flights, but would choose the indirect routing if upgrade chances are better.
UA doesn't operate any services from IAH to India. There's a decent chance you'll be flying through EWR or ORD anyway, because I don't know that the SFO flights will resume. And I would't like my chances much better for either of those, anyway. Maybe if you fly midweek...

I'd say, if you buy PE, expect to fly PE. Then, any upgrade would be a pleasant surprise.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
UA doesn't operate any services from IAH to India. There's a decent chance you'll be flying through EWR or ORD anyway, because I don't know that the SFO flights will resume. And I would't like my chances much better for either of those, anyway. Maybe if you fly midweek...

I'd say, if you buy PE, expect to fly PE. Then, any upgrade would be a pleasant surprise.
I thought I had heard they did resume service from SFO but I could be wrong as I don't fly there. Long flight for PE but that's just me and my typical horrific luck getting any of my PPs to clear.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I thought I had heard they did resume service from SFO but I could be wrong as I don't fly there. Long flight for PE but that's just me and my typical horrific luck getting any of my PPs to clear.
They have not. The problem is, it's really hard to avoid Russian airspace on that route:

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper (PVG added as an example overflight point).
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
They have not. The problem is, it's really hard to avoid Russian airspace on that route:

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper (PVG added as an example overflight point).
Ah, I saw the local ads here stating they were starting service direct to Bangalore but that must have been pre Ukraine invasion. Sad, they must have just started service then had to shut it down due to the war. .
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post

Thanks. Direct flights from SFO to DEL and BLR are at least bookable as of now. But that's a fair point, maybe I should just plan to do a stopover. I have done the direct flight before in business class and it's really nice. Much shorter overall journey, fewer delays, plus you can get a full night's rest on the flight.

Or other 1Ks on a higher fare class within PE, or any anyone on a GS instrument. The GS member doesn't have to be traveling.

Well, the good news is that the flights are probably empty at the moment, because UA is trying hard not to sell any seats. The bad news is that if they don't get canceled, "peak travel season" and "SFO" are not a good combination for upgrades. Also, India has traditionally been a difficult upgrade on UA.

I misread some ad that was advertising IAH flights, thanks for catching that.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 6:14 pm

Programs: United 1k
please advise if wrong place to post but am trying to use my plus points to upgrade NRT SFO and return on july10th returning july 21..
It seems very tight indeed..looking at other days flights biz seems full -would i be unlikely to get the upgrade?not sure if it matters but 1k booked in v..thanks!
Old Jun 26, 22, 6:20 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
please advise if wrong place to post but am trying to use my plus points to upgrade NRT SFO and return on july10th returning july 21..
It seems very tight indeed..looking at other days flights biz seems full -would i be unlikely to get the upgrade?not sure if it matters but 1k booked in v..thanks!
Looks much better on the return. not sure what you paid, but to get polaris when the flights are this booked it is best to book the purple seats (premium plus) so that you are safe in a decent seat but also go to the front of the line for polaris. My guess is 1K in V does not get it on the outbound and gets lucky on the return.
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:14 pm

thanks!i have been cking the buckets close to flight time but it doesnt seem to change much.. if there is nothing in the correct bucket (PZ?) then does that mean that you cannot get the upgrade or is there someway that it is done automatically for av seats?
also,would it be best to change to fly to LAX direct on the going ?i am actually only connecting thru sfo and could skip in nec though prefer to go via sfo as had something to do there
Old Jun 27, 22, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Generally I totally agree with you. Except right now I'm booked on a SFO-IAD (evening flight arriving 1am IAD) that is booked to ZERO up front. Never seen it even during Covid.

-RM
United and the other airlines get to reap what they sowed.

David
Old Jun 27, 22, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks!i have been cking the buckets close to flight time but it doesnt seem to change much.. if there is nothing in the correct bucket (PZ?) then does that mean that you cannot get the upgrade or is there someway that it is done automatically for av seats?
also,would it be best to change to fly to LAX direct on the going ?i am actually only connecting thru sfo and could skip in nec though prefer to go via sfo as had something to do there
If PZ space does not open in advance, you’ll be placed on a waitlist to clear at the gate.
Old Jun 27, 22, 5:42 pm

understood-thanks-so in that case you dont get to use the polaris lounge..
Old Jun 27, 22, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

understood-thanks-so in that case you dont get to use the polaris lounge..
Correct, although it's sometimes possible to clear between T-24 and arrival at the airport. But that should be the general expectation: on the waitlist = no Polaris lounge.
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:45 pm

yes-thanks- i suppose the reason for these questions is that i remember the polaris upgrades clearing much quicker before covid usually a few days in advance...doesnt seem to be the case now...

Search this Thread