Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 15, 20, 12:05 am

Lax to Hnd

Hey everyone!

New to this forum. Iím wondering if yíall could help me figure out my chances of clearing PZ from Y. Flight number - 39 (04.04.2020)
J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 07 0N7 A7 R0 RN0

I donít have any airline status.

Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 20, 2:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by jamis0n View Post
Don't you think this was because you had a paid Premium Economy ticket?
I'm pretty sure, but then this should go against your point below, according to what UA told you AND them telling me the same.

I just called United and they told me that my waitlist priority is based on the travelers status, not the sponsor. Chance the agent is wrong or doesn't know that GS sponsored upgrades have access to different upgrade inventory (PN)?
The list definitely isn't status-based. It's instrument based THEN status-based. I return back to my former point that there's no way I'm #1 for an upgrade on a Thursday afternoon ewr-sfo flight without that PN instrument. And at flight time, only one person out of the whole premium economy and economy cleared and that one person was me. Again, if they upgraded by status, impossible that I clear first.
Old Feb 15, 20, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
The list definitely isn't status-based. It's instrument based THEN status-based. I return back to my former point that there's no way I'm #1 for an upgrade on a Thursday afternoon ewr-sfo flight without that PN instrument. And at flight time, only one person out of the whole premium economy and economy cleared and that one person was me. Again, if they upgraded by status, impossible that I clear first.
I'm hesitant to say, with any certainty at all, how this works. Keep in mind that Global Services benefits are unpublished.

I suspect that, all things being equal, UA would prefer to upgrade a non-GS paid Premium Plus customer on a PN waitlist ahead of a non-GS paid Economy customer on a PN waitlist. But I don't know that I can prove it.

OP: FWIW, your chance to get into Polaris may be better than your chance to get into Premium Plus. There's no special Global Services inventory for Premium Plus, so I think you'd be in the same list as everybody else, meaning you'd be behind anybody with Premier status.
Old Feb 15, 20, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
OP: FWIW, your chance to get into Polaris may be better than your chance to get into Premium Plus. There's no special Global Services inventory for Premium Plus, so I think you'd be in the same list as everybody else, meaning you'd be behind anybody with Premier status.
LOL imagine United sees this and tomorrow onwards we see an RN and RZ fare class on UA's website for planes with PremPlus
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:09 am

At what point before the flight will United start clearing upgrade inventory? It's ~76 hours before my flight leaves and there are 23/44 seats open. Still showing Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 PZ0 though.

Will they gradually do it at T-72 or T-48? Or at this point will it all happen within 24 hours or even at the gate?
Old Feb 18, 20, 5:29 pm

At what point before the flight will United start clearing upgrade inventory? It's ~76 hours before my flight leaves and there are 23/44 seats open. Still showing Z9 ZN9 P0 PN0 PZ0 though.

Will they gradually do it at T-72 or T-48? Or at this point will it all happen within 24 hours or even at the gate?
Could be whenver. I'd say much more closer to departure on this route will they start clearing. This is usually a popular flight. And if they don't, then UA might start opening P then the golden PN PZ but on this route, I think it will have to go to the gate most likely. Anything otherwise then will be a pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 18, 20, 5:41 pm

What day is your flight again? On 2/23 or 2/24? That is a huge travel times as it is the start of one of the busiest weeks of the year in SFO for a significant security conference. (RSA) Odds are probably not in your favor a +6.5hr flight (even with GS upgrades).
Old Feb 18, 20, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy View Post
What day is your flight again? On 2/23 or 2/24? That is a huge travel times as it is the start of one of the busiest weeks of the year in SFO for a significant security conference. (RSA) Odds are probably not in your favor a +6.5hr flight (even with GS upgrades).
My outbound flight is UA2065 on Friday 2/21 (thats what I was asking about). I actually moved my return flight to Thursday 630am to attend a conference (that flight only has 30/60 load).

I'll just be patient and see how it goes! Thanks
Old Feb 19, 20, 9:21 am

Programs: United 1K
Upgrade Chances - Applied Plus Points

Would appreciate any input on this trip. Booked on 2/16/2020. Current fare's are W on the outbound and S on the inbound. I have applied PlusPoints for upgrades into either Premium Plus or Polaris. 80 per each passenger to AMS, 40 for each passenger on the return to IAH. 240 PlusPoints total.

Can anyone advise when availability my open? And do I need to actively check it on a daily basis or trust the upgrade system to do its thing? Flights currently seem pretty empty but I know that isn't necessarily representative of upgrade chances.

2 Passengers
8/28/2020
IAH-AMS-ZAG
9/10/2020
ATH-EWR-IAH

Old Feb 21, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Hi all. Going to Japan this summer with 2 friends. Companion (general member) and I (gold) will be flying to SFO to rendezvous with other friend (1k). We will then fly to KIX. Companion and I are booked on W fares. 1k friend has applied pluspoints to our reservation, however he bought his tickets with miles and is on a separate reservation.

UA 35 on Sat July 25 2020 SFO->KIX
  • Available fare classes: J6 JN6 C5 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G4 N9 XN9 X0
A few questions here and thank you ahead of time for your responses:
  • 1k friend has applied 80 PP to each of our SFO->KIX flights. Should we be on the waitlist for the ORD->SFO route as well since it is a flight with 1-stop? I have had someone upgrade 3 flights of mine with just 20 PP since it was a 2-stop flight. Wondering if the same principal can be applied although the 3 flights were domestic and this is 1 domestic/1 international.
  • Would it be advantageous for me to get upgraded by splitting our PNRs since together we will need PZ=>2 but separately we will need PZ=>1?
    • If yes to above, will he still inherit boarding group 1 if we split the reservation?
  • What are our chances of upgrading?
  • Also, am I entitled to any seat upgrades such as E+ for being star alliance gold on the ANA flight home?

Old Feb 21, 20, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport View Post
What are our chances of upgrading?
Probably zero.

Saturday upgrades are tough anyway, but you're flying to Japan on the second day of the Tokyo Olympics.

The only hope that you have is that UA is blocking 8 seats on flights operated by the 787-8 because they're in the process of converting those planes to Polaris, and the Polaris layout has 8 fewer seats. However, even if they end up flying an unconverted plane, I doubt you will be in the top 8 of the upgrade list, and there is zero chance that you'll clear ahead of time.
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
1k friend has applied 80 PP to each of our SFO->KIX flights. Should we be on the waitlist for the ORD->SFO route as well since it is a flight with 1-stop? I have had someone upgrade 3 flights of mine with just 20 PP since it was a 2-stop flight. Wondering if the same principal can be applied although the 3 flights were domestic and this is 1 domestic/1 international.
Yes, but you probably won't clear ORD-SFO either.

Would it be advantageous for me to get upgraded by splitting our PNRs since together we will need PZ=>2 but separately we will need PZ=>1? If yes to above, will he still inherit boarding group 1 if we split the reservation?
Yes, but...

What are our chances of upgrading?
As jsloan notes, your odds of being upgraded in advance are only slightly better than of using a lottery ticket to fund an upfare to J.
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Hi all. Going to Japan this summer with 2 friends. Companion (general member) and I (gold) will be flying to SFO to rendezvous with other friend (1k). We will then fly to KIX. Companion and I are booked on W fares. 1k friend has applied pluspoints to our reservation, however he bought his tickets with miles and is on a separate reservation.

• Available fare classes: J6 JN6 C5 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G4 N9 XN9 X0
  • 1k friend has applied 80 PP to each of our SFO->KIX flights. Should we be on the waitlist for the ORD->SFO route as well since it is a flight with 1-stop? I have had someone upgrade 3 flights of mine with just 20 PP since it was a 2-stop flight. Wondering if the same principal can be applied although the 3 flights were domestic and this is 1 domestic/1 international.
  • Would it be advantageous for me to get upgraded by splitting our PNRs since together we will need PZ=>2 but separately we will need PZ=>1?
    • If yes to above, will he still inherit boarding group 1 if we split the reservation?
  • Also, am I entitled to any seat upgrades such as E+ for being star alliance gold on the ANA flight home?

There is no way you get upgraded on the ord-sfo and the sfo-Kix is only about 10% just because of the blocked seats.
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Ok thanks everyone. We will be attending the Olympics but visiting Osaka first. Thought maybe we'd have a chance since not we're not flying directly to Tokyo.
Old Feb 21, 20, 3:10 pm

Answers to your ancillary questions:

img
img
  • It appears your friend with the PlusPoints did not want to risk having only ORD-SFO upgraded, since he will not get them back if SFO-KIX fails. This is a change from GPUs.
  • Yes (assuming you are OK with getting only one upgrade), and
    • typically yes, but sometimes it fails
  • --
  • No seat benefits for ANA from *G currently.
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread