FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1885647-consolidated-chance-upgrade-clearing-my-flight.html)

technique Oct 24, 2023 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 35690859)
Yeah that's what I figured. Oh well. It's only 13 hours. Can't be any worse than the regular SFO-HKG/SFO-SIN mileage runs I did pre-pandemic.

Sad to say it but everything flying related is worse post-pandemic.

dharps Oct 26, 2023 11:36 pm

Are mileage upgrades from economy to premium economy just as unlikely? Wondering about the chances of mileage upgrades from economy (K fare) to PE for 2 people SFO-HKG on a Thursday in January with silver status? The annoying thing is now that I’ve requested the MUA I can’t see how much it is to buy up to PE outright.

jsloan Oct 27, 2023 12:26 am

Originally Posted by dharps (Post 35697365)
Are mileage upgrades from economy to premium economy just as unlikely? Wondering about the chances of mileage upgrades from economy (K fare) to PE for 2 people SFO-HKG on a Thursday in January with silver status? The annoying thing is now that I’ve requested the MUA I can’t see how much it is to buy up to PE outright.

On many routes, it's more difficult to upgrade to Premium Economy than it is to upgrade to Business. The PE cabin is much smaller, and UA often oversells it. In order to get upgraded to PE, you oftentimes need a seat to open in J for a PE passenger who's also upgrading.

harischsood Oct 27, 2023 6:59 am

Title: PlusPoints Upgrade Likelihood for Dulles to CDG March 2024?
Hello FlyerTalk community!

I'm a 1K member with United and have accumulated a good number of PlusPoints. However, I've rarely utilized them. I'm currently considering a flight from Dulles (IAD) to Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and CDG to IAD in March 2024 for my family of 3. We're looking at purchasing an economy fare and using PlusPoints for potential upgrades.

Questions:
  1. Is there a way to determine the likelihood of securing an upgrade to premium economy or J class if we apply PlusPoints now versus waiting until closer to the departure date?
  2. I've come across the "Skip Waitlist" feature, but from what I gather, it's only available on select routes. Does anyone know if the IAD-CDG route is eligible?
Points to Consider (Based on my understanding):
  • Load Factor: The availability of seats in the upgraded cabin, such as Polaris or Business, could influence the upgrade chances. Dynamics may change as we get closer to the flight date.
  • Other Premier Members: The number of Premier members, especially those with a higher status, also plays a role as they get upgrade priority.
  • PlusPoints Usage: Upgrades, especially from Economy to Polaris on international routes, could cost more PlusPoints. Ensuring we have enough points for all passengers is essential.
  • Booking Strategy:
    • Booking early might be beneficial as earlier requests might get higher on the waitlist. Status tier remains a priority, though.
    • It's good to monitor the flight's load factor regularly.
    • Checking in right at the 24-hour mark before the flight could also be a strategic move.
Would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences related to this! Thanks in advance.

Kmxu Oct 27, 2023 8:18 am

Originally Posted by harischsood (Post 35697993)
Title: PlusPoints Upgrade Likelihood for Dulles to CDG March 2024?

Questions:
  1. Is there a way to determine the likelihood of securing an upgrade to premium economy or J class if we apply PlusPoints now versus waiting until closer to the departure date?
  2. I've come across the "Skip Waitlist" feature, but from what I gather, it's only available on select routes. Does anyone know if the IAD-CDG route is eligible?

If you do not have "expert mode" checked on your profile, do it so that you can see all fare availability; For the upgrade fare codes, you pay attention to PZ (Polaris) and RN (Premium Plus) for 1K Pluspoints. If they are nonzero, the upgrade will be cleared immediately after request.
The answer to your first question is to request immediately after booking. To increase the chance of upgrade, book your flights for departure on either Tue or Wednesday. Friday/Saturday/Sunday is most difficult.
The answer to the second question is no unless UA changes its mind later.
Good luck.

harischsood Oct 27, 2023 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 35698208)
If you do not have "expert mode" checked on your profile, do it so that you can see all fare availability; For the upgrade fare codes, you pay attention to PZ (Polaris) and RN (Premium Plus) for 1K Pluspoints. If they are nonzero, the upgrade will be cleared immediately after request.
The answer to your first question is to request immediately after booking. To increase the chance of upgrade, book your flights for departure on either Tue or Wednesday. Friday/Saturday/Sunday is most difficult.
The answer to the second question is no unless UA changes its mind later.
Good luck.

Thank you for sharing this valuable information it will benefit me for future flights

akb9x Oct 28, 2023 4:13 pm

I used Money & Miles to waitlist upgrade for a flight in one week LAX-SYD. My husband is gold and I am silver, we are booked in a Q fare. I called on Thursday night to check the waitlist and we were at 9 and 10 with 28 open seats. The next day I noticed more than several seats filled in Polaris so I called to check again. I was told that we are now at 1 and 2 with 18 seats open. I had been considering pulling the upgrade and paying up to Premium economy and then reapplying the upgrade, but now I don't think this is necessary? Does this seem like a good position to just keep waiting out the next few days to see if it clears? I felt nervous since obviously we are low on the pole via status.

VRFast Oct 28, 2023 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by akb9x (Post 35701600)
I used Money & Miles to waitlist upgrade for a flight in one week LAX-SYD. My husband is gold and I am silver, we are booked in a Q fare. I called on Thursday night to check the waitlist and we were at 9 and 10 with 28 open seats. The next day I noticed more than several seats filled in Polaris so I called to check again. I was told that we are now at 1 and 2 with 18 seats open. I had been considering pulling the upgrade and paying up to Premium economy and then reapplying the upgrade, but now I don't think this is necessary? Does this seem like a good position to just keep waiting out the next few days to see if it clears? I felt nervous since obviously we are low on the pole via status.

I would ask myself, what if I don't get upgraded, would I be OK with sitting in E+ (assumption based on your husband's Gold status)? Looks like a safe bet to stay as you are, but a lot of things can happen between now and then, a bunch of buy-ups, etc.

crustybooger Oct 28, 2023 8:54 pm

Hello, long time lurker here. What are the chances of this clearing. I had 2 family members booked with the same confirmation number, saw PZ1 so I split them and was able to instant upgrade our mom. For the 2nd passenger, he's currently booked on a R fare and currently waitlisted as #1(checked by changing the date) using plus points. He has no status. looks decent for him?

UA837 on 10/31:

J9
JN9
C9
D9
Z9
ZN9
P9
PN3
PZ0
IN0
I0
O9
ON9
A9
R9
RN2
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G9
XN9
X9

Thank you!

ContinentalFan Oct 28, 2023 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by crustybooger (Post 35702036)
Hello, long time lurker here. What are the chances of this clearing. I had 2 family members booked with the same confirmation number, saw PZ1 so I split them and was able to instant upgrade our mom. For the 2nd passenger, he's currently booked on a R fare and currently waitlisted as #1(checked by changing the date) using plus points. He has no status. looks decent for him?

UA837 on 10/31:

J9
JN9
C9
D9
Z9
ZN9
P9
PN3
PZ0
IN0
I0
O9
ON9
A9
R9
RN2
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G9
XN9
X9

Thank you!

I think I’d be happy in that situation.

VRFast Oct 29, 2023 9:21 am

Originally Posted by crustybooger (Post 35702036)

UA837 on 10/31:

J9
JN9
C9
D9
Z9
ZN9
P9
PN3
PZ0
IN0
I0
O9
ON9
A9
R9
RN2
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U9
H9
HN9
Q9
V9
W9
S9
T9
L9
K9
G9
XN9
X9

Thank you!

Looks like it's booked 36/50 in Polaris, so very good chance of being upgraded at #1. You can see the waitlist now for 10/31.

crustybooger Oct 29, 2023 10:57 am

Originally Posted by VRFast (Post 35702879)
Looks like it's booked 36/50 in Polaris, so very good chance of being upgraded at #1. You can see the waitlist now for 10/31.

Actually got the upgrade email at 1am!

jomp589 Oct 29, 2023 5:00 pm

Out of curiosity - wondering what the likelihood of a waitlist upgrade for 2 folks currently booked in Premium Plus (paid, Fare Class O) from DXB - EWR, April 15, 2024 (UA163) for 20K miles. Seat map has only one Polaris seat booked right now (realize it is very early)

Taking a look at recent flights it appears that around 40 to 45 Polaris seats were booked when looking at the upgrade list - and a small number of flyers actually getting the upgrade. Is it possible that the waitlist upgrades clear prior? Or better to periodically call in and see what upgrade cash cost is?

Will be gold status, for what it’s worth.

ContinentalFan Oct 29, 2023 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jomp589 (Post 35703766)
Out of curiosity - wondering what the likelihood of a waitlist upgrade for 2 folks currently booked in Premium Plus (paid, Fare Class O) from DXB - EWR, April 15, 2024 (UA163) for 20K miles. Seat map has only one Polaris seat booked right now (realize it is very early)

Taking a look at recent flights it appears that around 40 to 45 Polaris seats were booked when looking at the upgrade list - and a small number of flyers actually getting the upgrade. Is it possible that the waitlist upgrades clear prior? Or better to periodically call in and see what upgrade cash cost is?

Will be gold status, for what it’s worth.

It would be surprising if you’re upgraded this far out. There’s no benefit to United. I often see some seats clear a few days before the flight with the bulk clearing closer to departure. Keeping track of the option to pay cash is a good idea, but don’t expect to see any deals until closer to departure.

Kacee Oct 29, 2023 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by jomp589 (Post 35703766)
Out of curiosity - wondering what the likelihood of a waitlist upgrade for 2 folks currently booked in Premium Plus (paid, Fare Class O) from DXB - EWR, April 15, 2024 (UA163) for 20K miles.

Beyond noting that Gold will be behind all 1K and Plat in PE, and GS in either Y or PE, it is absolutely impossible to provide meaningful input six months out.