Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 22, 4:32 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 27, 22, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
4 in F - no chance for an upgrade as Silver between higher Premiers, buyups, and last minute bookings.
And don't forget SDC, that can also crush any hopes for an upgrade - but can also help if people SDC out of the cabin.

Once flights get to J5 on the premium routes I start assuming I'm not getting the upgrade and start hunting for a decent buyup.
Old Apr 30, 22, 7:52 am

Spouse PlusPoints for Premium Economy > Polaris

I’m flying in 10 days IAD > IAH > EZE. I’ve booked an R ticket in Premium Plus and have been waitlisted using 30 of my 1k wife’s PlusPoints for an upgrade to Polaris on the IAH > EZE leg. She’s already in Buenos Aires and will return with me on the same flight through IAH, though she’s already in Polaris on a C ticket. I’ve waitlisted Polaris with another 30 of her PlusPoints for that return leg, also. So, my question is simply, is this the best way to go for this upgrade and what do you think my chances are? Does it matter that I’m not the 1k traveler using my own PlusPoints as far as upgrade priority goes? Thank you for any insights you can share; of course, I’ll know the outcome, soon enough.
Old Apr 30, 22, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Your priority will be based on your own status, but above all non-GS requests in Economy since you're on a paid PE ticket.

Not much else you can do but wait and hope if you're definitely taking that flight.
Old Apr 30, 22, 8:35 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by findark View Post

Not much else you can do but wait and hope if you're definitely taking that flight.
You can keep an eye on PZ space and talk an agent into processing your upgrade if you see space. YMMV
Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available
Old Apr 30, 22, 10:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
You can keep an eye on PZ space and talk an agent into processing your upgrade if you see space. YMMV
Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available
It should be pointed out that this is generally a "long shot"
Old Apr 30, 22, 11:33 am

Thank you for the responses. The flight is UA 819 on May 11. Here is the current availability:

J3 JN3 C3 D2 Z2 ZN2 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X0

Actually, my greater concern is the 34 minute connection arriving from IAD.
Old Apr 30, 22, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Imoretti View Post
Thank you for the responses. The flight is UA 819 on May 11. Here is the current availability:

J3 JN3 C3 D2 Z2 ZN2 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X0

Actually, my greater concern is the 34 minute connection arriving from IAD.
The availability for UA819 on 5/11 is not the above (doesn't even show prem eco). It is rather the below. Doesn't look terrible IMO
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z9
  • ZN9
  • P9
  • PN0
  • PZ0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • O9
  • ON9
  • A9
  • R7
  • RN2
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L9
  • K9
  • G9
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X9
Old Apr 30, 22, 9:11 pm

Programs: United currently plat
no chance

Me: May 3 534 HNL-LAX May 4 ->EWR 1990

Applied for an upgrade using 17.5k miles all the way.

1990 is J1 C1 D1 no chance in hell im getting there. I called to cancel so I dont waste the miles on what should be a good chance CPU HNL-LAX

On 534 HNL-LAX i went from #5 - #12 on the list with 42/60 booked.

My return May 10:

UA 363 EWR-HNL booked in PP R Class. Applied for upgrade using 10 plus points. Also not looking good there! J3 C3 D2
Old Apr 30, 22, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by evol View Post
1990 is J1 C1 D1 no chance in hell im getting there. I called to cancel so I dont waste the miles on what should be a good chance CPU HNL-LAX

On 534 HNL-LAX i went from #5 - #12 on the list with 42/60 booked.
Would not call that anywhere close to a sure thing given UA's proclivity for selling upgrades.
evol likes this.
Old May 1, 22, 1:16 am

Programs: United currently plat
yep they are for sale at $350 a pop. So yes i'm gambling when i say i have a "good chance" at grabbing a CPU after turning down a 17.5k guaranteed upgrade for that segment.

I have a six seat buffer as of now.

So when I was at #5 that was my mileage supported upgrade coming in ahead of any CPU's at the time the list is published?
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by evol; May 1, 22 at 1:19 am Reason: clarity
Old May 1, 22, 1:21 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by evol View Post
... So when I was at #5 that was my mileage supported upgrade coming in ahead of any CPU's at the time the list is published?
Yes, supported waitlisted upgrades are higher then all non-GS waitlisted CPU
Old May 1, 22, 11:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Flying IAH-SAV later this week. Was at #9 out of 13 on upgrade list when it first became viewable. I applied a MUA (17.5k miles) and Im now at the top of the list. What are the chances that stays and I get upgraded, one seat left in First? Price is $346, which is about the same as the miles at a 2 cents/mile rate.
Also, what if I change my mind and want the upgrade reversed? Is there a redeposit fee?
Old May 1, 22, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
Flying IAH-SAV later this week. Was at #9 out of 13 on upgrade list when it first became viewable. I applied a MUA (17.5k miles) and I’m now at the top of the list. What are the chances that stays and I get upgraded, one seat left in First? Price is $346, which is about the same as the miles.
One seat left? I certainly wouldn't count on the upgrade. Anyone from place 2-13 might be thinking of buying up, as well as anyone not on list in back. Last minute buy-ups. Someone else with same status on higher fare class may apply instruments or a higher Premier might. So many ways of the last seat going....

If I was in same situation, I'd be expecting to sit in back or pay the $350.
Old May 1, 22, 11:44 am
cfw

Programs: DL, AA, LH, Marriott, Amex
Does ExpertFlyer or KVS have the ability to do alerts if PZ or PN inventory opens up?
Old May 1, 22, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by cfw View Post
Does ExpertFlyer or KVS have the ability to do alerts if PZ or PN inventory opens up?
No, two letter fare class inventory is only available from UA and UA does not allow website scraping to collect that data.
cfw likes this.

Search this Thread