Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 20, 5:50 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 7, 19, 11:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rocky55 View Post
Thank you for your reply! It helps manages expectations! Also do you know anyone who uses the concierge service at airport to cut security lines?
Using the regular wheelchair service does bypass most of the security lines, but there can be a wait for the wheelchair attendants.

UA does offer an extra cost "concierge" service at SFO and EWR, see Introducing United Exclusive Assistance "United Signature Service" [Q&A-Experiences]
Old Dec 8, 19, 1:58 am

Programs: UA *S, Marriott Platinum, AMEX PLAT,HH Gold, Amtrak Select, PP
EWR-MCO on 12/31

Silver on a New Year's Eve down to Orlando. 5:00pm flight. J is 2/16 and we are only 2 on the upgrade list. 23 days out. Thoughts? I know it's kinda early...
Old Dec 8, 19, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by theboss7593 View Post
Silver on a New Year's Eve down to Orlando. 5:00pm flight. J is 2/16 and we are only 2 on the upgrade list. 23 days out. Thoughts? I know it's kinda early...
Probably a 79.80% chance they clear
Old Dec 8, 19, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
If you're talking the 5:15pm flight with lie flat seats on the 757-200 (flight 434), it already show 4 seats taken of the 16. I would think that would be a bit tough to clear. Maybe consider just buying up?
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:28 am

Programs: UA *S, Marriott Platinum, AMEX PLAT,HH Gold, Amtrak Select, PP
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
If you're talking the 5:15pm flight with lie flat seats on the 757-200 (flight 434), it already show 4 seats taken of the 16. I would think that would be a bit tough to clear. Maybe consider just buying up?
Only 2 are taken (you can see this in the App if you change your date/time) , 4AB are unavailable until check in in my experience. And no one is on the list waiting to upgrade..

Other days other than NYE show people waiting to upgrade as many as 10 in some cases.

Basically my question is, is NYE on this route a low elite flying day?
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Basically my question is, is NYE on this route a low elite flying day?
Yes, NYE is a good day for upgrades.
Old Dec 9, 19, 6:54 pm

Iíve miles + copayíd a flight to Auckland from a K fare and am waitlisted at 9/10 for Polaris and 2/3 for PP. Looking at the booked vs available ratio, Iíd assume all the 10 folks on the list would clear, but what are the odds that UA allows all 10 into Polaris at t-24? Unlikely, right?

If PZ opens up just a little- letís say 3- (not enough to get to me in at #9) does that mean I just get relegated to the 13 available PP? Not to sound ungrateful, but my goal is obviously Polaris & not PP

Lastly, if this happens to be the way it plays out, do I have any recourse as a newly minted PP fare to get back on another waitlist for any other remaining Polaris seats?
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, AS MVP, HHonors Silver
On Jan 10th, UA 48 EWR-BOM My dad and I are positions 2 and 3 on the waitlist for Polaris. Upgrading from premium plus A fare class. We are upgrading on our GS friend's expiring PlusPoints. How many days out from departure does this list start clearing for those that have used an upgrade on this route? Or as this thread suggests, what are the chances of clearing for both in a reasonable time manner so we can at least select seats next to each other. Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nycn00b View Post
Iíve miles + copayíd a flight to Auckland from a K fare and am waitlisted at 9/10 for Polaris and 2/3 for PP. Looking at the booked vs available ratio, Iíd assume all the 10 folks on the list would clear, but what are the odds that UA allows all 10 into Polaris at t-24? Unlikely, right?

If PZ opens up just a little- letís say 3- (not enough to get to me in at #9) does that mean I just get relegated to the 13 available PP? Not to sound ungrateful, but my goal is obviously Polaris & not PP

Lastly, if this happens to be the way it plays out, do I have any recourse as a newly minted PP fare to get back on another waitlist for any other remaining Polaris seats?
Clearing into PE has no impact on your place on the J waitlist.
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Clearing into PE has no impact on your place on the J waitlist.
Does clearing into PE not purge you from the J list? Iíve heard of folks dropping off the list and needing to be re-added by some method or another.
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
On Jan 10th, UA 48 EWR-BOM My dad and I are positions 2 and 3 on the waitlist for Polaris. Upgrading from premium plus A fare class. We are upgrading on our GS friend's expiring PlusPoints. How many days out from departure does this list start clearing for those that have used an upgrade on this route? Or as this thread suggests, what are the chances of clearing for both in a reasonable time manner so we can at least select seats next to each other. Thanks!
'

how do you know you are #2 and #3 ? The list can be cleared at any time.
Old Dec 9, 19, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nycn00b View Post
Does clearing into PE not purge you from the J list? Iíve heard of folks dropping off the list and needing to be re-added by some method or another.
Nothing about upgrades seems to be working quite right at the moment, but no, clearing into PE is not supposed to remove you from the J list the way it may on other carriers. You can confirm into PE while remaining listed for J.
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
'

Let's just say I changed my iPhone date to Jan 10th, and the UA app uses your phone's date, so i went into UA app after that, checked flight status of UA48 and saw that we are #2 and 3 . So it can clear at anytime? Don't some routes historically open a lot quicker than others do?
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmw303 View Post
Now that upgrade lists are visible in advance, many people are adjusting the date on their mobile device and then using the United app to get a peek at the waitlist.

My concern is that it's fool's gold; for one thing, because it's been so buggy since they introduced this feature that I don't trust it, but also because a new, higher-priority request could come in at any time. On a GS instrument, OP has a better-than-average chance of staying near the top of the list, because non-GS instruments will slot in behind them. However, nearly half of the seats are taken a month prior to travel, it's a Friday flight, and UA thinks they don't need to discount very much: it's J9 C9 D9 Z0. That suggests a late clearance, if at all.

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Nothing about upgrades seems to be working quite right at the moment, but no, clearing into PE is not supposed to remove you from the J list the way it may on other carriers. You can confirm into PE while remaining listed for J.
Correct; as a corollary, OP will not be on a "newly-minted PP fare," implying any priority over someone on an Economy ticket that hadn't been moved to PP yet.
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Now that upgrade lists are visible in advance, many people are adjusting the date on their mobile device and then using the United app to get a peek at the waitlist.

My concern is that it's fool's gold; for one thing, because it's been so buggy since they introduced this feature that I don't trust it, but also because a new, higher-priority request could come in at any time. On a GS instrument, OP has a better-than-average chance of staying near the top of the list, because non-GS instruments will slot in behind them. However, nearly half of the seats are taken a month prior to travel, it's a Friday flight, and UA thinks they don't need to discount very much: it's J9 C9 D9 Z0. That suggests a late clearance, if at all.

Correct; as a corollary, OP will not be on a "newly-minted PP fare," implying any priority over someone on an Economy ticket that hadn't been moved to PP yet.
Oh no don't kill my happiness! Just kidding. But I think you got the wrong day. We are flying out a day later on Saturday night on the 11th. But still not better. J9 C9 D0 etc.. and 37 seats still unselected. I just want a window seat (with a window) so hopefully those last by the time the upgrade reaches us.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: