Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 7, 19, 10:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 20, 18, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Not unusual at all. Six weeks out that's a pretty good chance, but not guaranteed.
Thanks. Do the upgrades usually only happen within a week of the flight or could it happen anytime? This is only my second time doing this. Seems worthwhile for $600 plus 35K miles. I have flown business with GPUs but those either cleared at booking or were quite full flights and cleared only at the last minute.
Old Jul 20, 18, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by daisyatl View Post
Thanks. Do the upgrades usually only happen within a week of the flight or could it happen anytime? This is only my second time doing this. Seems worthwhile for $600 plus 35K miles. I have flown business with GPUs but those either cleared at booking or were quite full flights and cleared only at the last minute.
Could clear any time. A common pattern booked 11/60 would be to clear between 4 and 6 weeks out, though again, no guarantees.

The nice thing about miles and co-pay is there's no loss if you miss (unlike buying up to a W to use a GPU that fails).
Old Jul 20, 18, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Could clear any time. A common pattern booked 11/60 would be to clear between 4 and 6 weeks out, though again, no guarantees.

The nice thing about miles and co-pay is there's no loss if you miss (unlike buying up to a W to use a GPU that fails).
Thank you again.

Agreed. I have bought W for a GPU but only when R was available. I had a friend who was GS and he upgraded me all the time. Those were the days. I also inherited his status then for waitlist purposes. I don't think that happens anymore.

Anyway, I really like the seats on 777-300ER and the SFO-TLV route is going back to the 787 in October so thought it would be worth it to splurge one last time.
Old Jul 21, 18, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Have flight IAH - SYD, K class, for Nov 15 with return SYD - IAH, Nov 22nd (thanksgiving); platinum status. Used miles + copay for both directions. Return cleared at booking, which wasn't surprising given only 6/48 were booked. On outbound, 16/48 booked and waitlisted for upgrade. I've heard this route has been pretty light loads so was hopeful would be better routing (from/to EWR), that I booked vs. LAX or SFO connect. How good do you feel chances are?

Flight is showing current class availability:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D9
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L9
  • K9
  • G9
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X9
Old Jul 23, 18, 3:54 pm

First post on here I'm a lowly UA silver member. Flying LGA to ORD on Sunday afternoon. Flight is in 6 days. I'm guessing chances are low but wanted to see what people thought.
  • F6
  • A5
  • JN6
  • C5
  • D5
  • Z4
  • ZN4
  • P4
  • PN4
  • R2
  • RN2
  • IN1
  • I0
  • Y6
  • YN6
  • B6
  • M5
  • E3
  • U3
  • H0
  • HN1
  • Q0
  • V0
  • W0
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • N6
  • XN0
  • X0
Old Jul 23, 18, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Zakfischer View Post
First post on here I'm a lowly UA silver member. Flying LGA to ORD on Sunday afternoon. Flight is in 6 days. I'm guessing chances are low but wanted to see what people thought.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Your intuition is correct. As a Premier Silver, there is zero chance of a CPU on that flight. 6 days before travel, nobody's complimentary upgrades have cleared yet, and there's no way that there aren't at least 6 passengers with a higher status than Silver.

However, because the flight is R2, if you would like to upgrade using miles, you can do so and it will clear immediately. (Mileage upgrades clear into the R fare bucket).
Old Jul 23, 18, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Your intuition is correct. As a Premier Silver, there is zero chance of a CPU on that flight. 6 days before travel, nobody's complimentary upgrades have cleared yet, and there's no way that there aren't at least 6 passengers with a higher status than Silver.

However, because the flight is R2, if you would like to upgrade using miles, you can do so and it will clear immediately. (Mileage upgrades clear into the R fare bucket).

Than you for the quick response - this is very helpful!
Old Jul 26, 18, 12:26 pm

Never been in this situation

Just bought ticket to LAS, applied GPU. R was 0 OGG-SFO and no coach seats available to choose from. By seat map below (me w/o seat and assuming all F passengers have selected seat), it looks like United will sell a combination of F and Y tickets totaling either 9 or 10.

I think I saw PN>0 a day before I booked and 2 seats F seats disappeared prior to my booking w/ PN now 0.

I've never been in this situation before - mid-week flight OGG-SFO w/o seat assignment 13 days from flight. Has anyone been in a situation like this? Might UA release R or will it hold everything until airport?

I know there could be GS and 1Ks on higher fare classes in front of me on the waitlist. Maui's kind of funny. Likely to be no GS or GS and family. Either occur more frequently than 1 GS.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 26, 18 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 26, 18, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Well I-O-T you know I have been in this situation before but agree NOT typically mid week. You have helped me in and out of the Islands before and I can say that since the volcano things have been definitely off particularly in and out of KOA and HNL. As you noted, and I have run into this as well, you will be dealing with Summer Vacation GS travel with family. Possibly even some diverting from the Big Island to Maui. This has been happening a lot lately as the travel industry in Kona has been reporting. Also this is the popular mid day departure back to LAS. Having said all that I have been in and out of KOA and HNL (not OGG) several times over the past few months and have seen R space open up prior to T24 on about 75% of the flights. The other 25% I was upgraded at the gate or even on the flight. These are the only flights I have been able use my instruments on this year. Pōmaikaʻi!
Old Jul 26, 18, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Just bought ticket to LAS, applied GPU. R was 0 OGG-SFO and no coach seats available to choose from. By seat map below (me w/o seat and assuming all F passengers have selected seat), it looks like United will sell a combination of F and Y tickets totaling either 9 or 10.
The placeholder seatmap has dozens of Y seats missing based on either actual 753 config that flies -- there isn't really an oversale here.

I would say the odds of an instrument clearly are pretty decent based on that load.
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
The placeholder seatmap has dozens of Y seats missing based on either actual 753 config that flies...
Ah - so placeholder is preventing me from choosing coach seat even though some might be unoccupied. I keep thinking I'll be in a middle seat in the last row and they'll run out of cheeseburgers before they get to me. Hopefully upgrade comes through.

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Mahalo!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 26, 18 at 6:33 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:32 pm

Ah - so placeholder is preventing me from choosing coach seat even though some might be unoccupied. I keep thinking I'll be in a middle seat in the last row and they'll run out of cheeseburgers before they get to me. Hopefully upgrade comes through.
If you're not liking your odds to clear, check your reservation around 2 a.m. CDT the night before T-48 hours. The proper seatmap will appear and a large number of very desirable E+ seats will be added, including a guaranteed Row 8.
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:50 pm

If you're not liking your odds to clear, check your reservation around 2 a.m. CDT the night before T-48 hours. The proper seatmap will appear and a large number of very desirable E+ seats will be added, including a guaranteed Row 8.
I've been checking about 9pm Hawaii time (1am CST). I'll start checking at 10pm local. Lack of seat has been keeping me awake anyway...
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:54 pm

I've been checking about 9pm Hawaii time (1am CST). I'll start checking at 10pm local. Lack of seat has been keeping me awake anyway...
Very few people know this secret, so usually any time that evening should be good. I don't know the exact load time to the minute, or even if it's deterministic.
Old Jul 27, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Very few people know this secret, so usually any time that evening should be good. I don't know the exact load time to the minute, or even if it's deterministic.
Thanks you guys, very valuable information for a common route for me. While this doesn't happen to me often I have experienced what I-O-T is going through on rare occasion so thanks again.

Search this Thread