Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fed planner
Looks like I may be out of luck getting an upgrade on IAH-FRA on the 20th. Waitlisted when I booked, there were a good number of seats open. As typically happens, lots of close in bookings. Stranger things have happened, but I'm not holding my breath this time. The reeurn on the 27th (FRA-IAH) may come through last minute and might have a better chgance of clearing. Maybe.

edit: And IAH-FRA will be my MM flight. As long as the seat next to me stays empty...
Currently #1 for PE with 23/24 booked and #9 for Polaris with 47/50 booked. Might squeak in to Premium Plus assuming any that clear into Polartis will free up seats in PE. We'll see.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 7:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Planning a trip to Japan for May 8 - 16 (a Wednesday - Thursday), from IAD.

Right now, none of the flight options appear to have upgrade space, so my intent would be to book Y+ (on a flight with R inventory vs. O, which seems to double the price for Y+). The best bets for the outbound look to be the nonstop, or a connection in DEN (the latter is P9 at the moment IIRC). Return either the nonstop, or via DEN or EWR (the latter I worry about in case it doesn't clear, but it's still selling R at the moment).

Thoughts? Last winter, we took connections in ORD and LAX to TYO, and had little issue clearing (the nonstop was not operating at the time).
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fumje
There can be a lot of seat churn in the days before departure. For example, someone in O window seat may clear upgrade to J, freeing it up. It is worth it to check frequently for a possible opening. Good luck on clearing.
I'm leaving in less than 24 hours. Still nothing. I'm starting to think my PlusPoints won't clear and it'll actually end up going to waste. I guess I should never try to use it on SFO-HKG. Maybe SFO-NRT would have gotten better results.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm leaving in less than 24 hours. Still nothing. I'm starting to think my PlusPoints won't clear and it'll actually end up going to waste. I guess I should never try to use it on SFO-HKG. Maybe SFO-NRT would have gotten better results.
Change to another flight or to TPE if you really want to use up your pluspoints.
Good luck.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
Planning a trip to Japan for May 8 - 16 (a Wednesday - Thursday), from IAD.

Right now, none of the flight options appear to have upgrade space, so my intent would be to book Y+ (on a flight with R inventory vs. O, which seems to double the price for Y+). The best bets for the outbound look to be the nonstop, or a connection in DEN (the latter is P9 at the moment IIRC). Return either the nonstop, or via DEN or EWR (the latter I worry about in case it doesn't clear, but it's still selling R at the moment).

Thoughts? Last winter, we took connections in ORD and LAX to TYO, and had little issue clearing (the nonstop was not operating at the time).
IAD-HND-IAD is the choice. You would clear with Y tickets, too. Premium Plus gives you better peace of mind.
exerda likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Change to another flight or to TPE if you really want to use up your pluspoints.
Good luck.
Way too late for that now. Plus, I think I'll have to pay the difference at this point.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:32 am

Hello All,

Flying TATL ORD-FCO on Apr 1 (little over 2 months), husband (gold) and I (1k) are in PE with an R fare with P+P used to try for Polaris. Did the date change trick the other night and we are #1-2 on the upgrade list. I know this is very far out for anything to mean something, so my question is as what point out from a flight does the inventory start to show a better prediction of upgrade potential?

As of now about half of PE is booked and 7/28 Polaris per the seat map (I know not to trust) and EF says the same. I have watched P go from 0 to 9 to 7 to 5 to 7 and is all over the place. Just trying to gauge when it is best for me to continuously check for the PZ opening to jump the waitlist or when I may get a better idea of our chance to clear. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: MilagePlus
Hello All,
I am on a LIM-IAH flight on 27th Jan. Currently in R with waitlist @ 1. However overnight this flight disappeared from booking! the seat map shows lot of open seats but if you try to book a new ticket, this flight does not SHOW up at all.. suggesting its already sold out!.
Can some expert help solve this mystery for me please!
Its UA 855 non stop from Lima to Houston.

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Breaking news! My upgrade cleared and I'm now in PY on the SFO-HKG flight!!! Don't know what happened, but the seat map is showing lots of empty seats. I wish my upgrade cleared earlier.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Pilotb
Change the date on your device to the date of the flights and check the flight status on united.com and you should be able to see the waitlist. Doesn't work on the United app as far as I know.
I tried this out, nice trick!..

question though. Does the “waitlist” for I guess upgrades show the priority and real rank based on the ACTUAL upgrade priority? For example, I’m 1MM Gold, flying on a fairly $$ fare, put in for MILES to upgrade for this one domestic leg.. there are 8 seats currently at least UNSOLD in inventory for a flight in six days - and I’m showing up 17 on the “waitlist”. As it’s SFO to ORD, I’m sure there ARE a bunch of GS, spouse of GS, MAYBE 1K, Plat willing to use plus points or other. But, from the flowchart posted a few years ago, I though other than that a MILES upgrade for a LTG should be somewhat higher?
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nmenaker

question though. Does the “waitlist” for I guess upgrades show the priority and real rank based on the ACTUAL upgrade priority? For example, I’m 1MM Gold, flying on a fairly $$ fare, put in for MILES to upgrade for this one domestic leg.. there are 8 seats currently at least UNSOLD in inventory for a flight in six days - and I’m showing up 17 on the “waitlist”. As it’s SFO to ORD, I’m sure there ARE a bunch of GS, spouse of GS, MAYBE 1K, Plat willing to use plus points or other. But, from the flowchart posted a few years ago, I though other than that a MILES upgrade for a LTG should be somewhat higher?
Miles and PPs are treated same. Elite-heavy route and a lot of PPs being burned before 1/31. Not surprised at all seeing you're #17. Want first? Buy up - or enjoy your free food item and adult beevrage in coach....
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

​​​​​​Suggest reviewing the waitlist order:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-priority.html

NO special consideration for MM. For 1MM, you are no different than any other Golds. Status comes before fare bucket, so you could have a higher fare than a Plat, but you would be placed in a lower position. Instrument (e.g. PlusPoints or miles upgrade) ranks higher than status and fare bucket, and GS requests ranks above all others.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Gold
Sigh...
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
I’m showing up 17 on the “waitlist”. As it’s SFO to ORD...
Welcome to SFO. I have spent lots of quality time in economy after applying PlusPoints out of SFO. I very rarely make it out of double digits on the wait list as a lowly 1K. I have sat next to GS who used PlusPoints and died at #1 or #2.

Do a hand-count of the GS and 1K pre-boards on any SFO flight (particularly transcons or to another hub). That's only the people who both wanted to and arrived in time to pre-board.
nmenaker and jsloan like this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriot Gold
Gah, Expert Mode for my flight went from J5 Z2 (with some other availability in the intermediate fare classes) down to J1 overnight. I hope I don't depart stuck at #1.

Update: After a bunch of ups and downs with availability, upgrade finally cleared at T-22.
Michael Convente likes this.

Last edited by wh333; Jan 26, 2024 at 2:14 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.