Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by PardoG
hi everyone trying to figure out my chances flying EWR to Las in June Sunday with return Friday? Haven’t purchased yet so don’t know the fare class yet

thanks for any advice !
I now see it would be a V fare - not sure if that detail helps anyone provide insight. Thanks for any input - looks like it's a 737-800 with 16 first class seats.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PardoG
I now see it would be a V fare - not sure if that detail helps anyone provide insight. Thanks for any input - looks like it's a 737-800 with 16 first class seats.
For a flight in June, it's way to early to have any confidence. Are you asking about CPU or RPU? Generically EWR - LAS isn't horrible, but as with most domestic mainline, there is wide variation in load. You can start to form a clearer idea about one month before the flight, but chances won't become really apparent until the few days prior.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:41 am

Am a 1K member have a flight booked using miles December 12 (11.15 pm flight) from LAX to EWR - this is a Wednesday red eye. Am considering booking a paid flight for me and my partner and using a RPU. What are my chances given this is a mid week booking?

Available air classes and hope everyone had a good thanksgiving break.

· Available fare classes:

· J9

· JN9

· C5

· D5

· Z0

· ZN0

· P0

· PN0

· PZ0

· IN0

· I0

· Y9

· YN9

· B9

· M9

· E9

· U9

· H9

· HN9

· Q9

· V9

· W9

· S9

· T9

· L6

· K0

· G0

· N9

· XN0

· X0
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wazza10000
Am a 1K member have a flight booked using miles December 12 (11.15 pm flight) from LAX to EWR - this is a Wednesday red eye. Am considering booking a paid flight for me and my partner and using a RPU. What are my chances given this is a mid week booking?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

J9 D5 C5 Z0 is a bad sign; it suggests that UA believes it can sell all of the available seats without offering discounts. It's booked 13/28, which isn't terrible in and of itself, but I tend to trust UA on this one -- even if they don't sell the seats in advance, I'd expect quite a few people to TOD once they realize how much they value sleep as opposed to sitting 10-abreast for 5 hours.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wazza10000
LAX-EWR red-eye? Don't need to see the inventory - the odds are very low.

Even worse, the current aircraft assignment is the 772 HD, which is quite uncomfortable (10 across) in Y and one of the most difficult aircraft in the UA fleet to upgrade due to the very low J:Y ratio.

Personally, I would be looking at a different option.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
LAX-EWR red-eye? Don't need to see the inventory - the odds are very low.

Even worse, the current aircraft assignment is the 772 HD, which is quite uncomfortable (10 across) in Y and one of the most difficult aircraft in the UA fleet to upgrade due to the very low J:Y ratio.

Personally, I would be looking at a different option.
Thanks guys - don't have much flex on the flight itself so will just have to make do. Will assume economy plus for now and just hope for some last minute cancellations on paid tickets but definitely not expecting an upgrade.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The only saving grace is a Wednesday redeye in dead December is about as good as you can possibly get in terms of timing. The 77G is a big hit to upgrade odds versus an sUA 752, but you have a better shot than many on the route, I think (still not great).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
BOS-SFO GPU Chances

Flying BOS-SFO tomorrow, 11/29/17, on UA2400, on a K fare, with a waitlisted GPU. I called the 1K Desk yesterday, and while the agent didn't have access to the priority order of the wait list, she said that there were 20 1K's on the list.

United is still selling Q fares in economy, so my question is - What is my likelihood of clearing if I upfare from K to Q to improve my chances of the GPU clearing? Availability is as follows: J3 JN3 C3 D1 Z0...

FWIW, this is an "old" GPU that expires next year, and this will probably be the longest flight I take in the next six months...so the $230 upfare seems worth it (should I clear.)
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
What is my likelihood of clearing if I upfare from K to Q to improve my chances of the GPU clearing? Availability is as follows: J3 JN3 C3 D1 Z0...
Likely zero.

There's a good chance that they'll sell those three seats, either to last-minute purchases or to TODs. If they don't, a 1K on a Q fare is probably still not high enough to be #1 on the list. and I doubt more than 1 will clear in the best case.

BOS-SFO, you can't even really count on misconnects; the only connecting traffic they'd likely have would be from TATL partner flights, and I doubt they sell many of those.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
United is still selling Q fares in economy, so my question is - What is my likelihood of clearing if I upfare from K to Q to improve my chances of the GPU clearing?
No no no don't do that! Maybe you'll get a buy-up offer. That's your best chance to sit up front. Or upfare to that D fare if you really really want it.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
......so the $230 upfare seems worth it (should I clear.)
Yes, you are correct - "should I clear". IMHO, it'd be $230 out the window at Q w/ 3 seats available. I bet you'd be well down the list at Q when the door closed.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was thinking.. $854 D fare on one-day AP looks like a good deal. Upgrade odds are nil. A GS on an M fare might have a sliver of a chance.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes, you are correct - "should I clear". IMHO, it'd be $230 out the window at Q w/ 3 seats available. I bet you'd be well down the list at Q when the door closed.
No surprise here...At T-6, currently 16 of 32 on the waitlist with First booked full. Glad that I didn't pay anything to upfare!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by midnightrunner8
I am flying from LAS>IAD on a Thursday in early December. It's a mid afternoon flight, 737-8.

I'm flying on a V fare and I don't have status any longer. I am a MileagePlus card holder, though. A friend has some expiring RPUs he's added to the reservation, but they're showing "upgrade requested". No R or PZ seats available, and 8 of 16 seats are booked. What are the odds of an upgrade for 2 of us, both with RPU requests?

Any more info needed, please let me know!
I'm following up on this since I said I would when we were closer to travel, currently 6 days out. Everything above is the same, except 12 of 16 first class seats are booked. Any idea how soon I will find out? How long before the flight will an RPU requested upgrade take effect?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by midnightrunner8
I'm following up on this since I said I would when we were closer to travel, currently 6 days out. Everything above is the same, except 12 of 16 first class seats are booked. Any idea how soon I will find out? How long before the flight will an RPU requested upgrade take effect?
I would say you won't here anything until the airport. As far as your chances for upgrade, I would say unlikely to very unlikely. JMHO others may disagree. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.