Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:34 am

Bought my ticket on UA website 90+ days in advance, RPU applied right after purchase.

UA 2051 TPA-SFO 5.5 hrs flight was 0/20 when I booked and 4/20 @ 60 days prior to the flight, but system NEVER cleared me, this morning was at 16/20.
UA 1589 SFO-HNL 5.5 hrs flight was cleared 60 days before flight.

I was thinking to SDC to TPA-ORD-HNL

Edit: UA 2051 used to be on 320 with 12 first class seats until June, I thought changing it to 739 with 20 seats would increase my chance of clearing RPU on this route, but I was wrong, this route is one the toughest domestic route to clear RPU, forget the CPU here completely!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Hey All. I'm debating between the following two flights.

UA 901 SFO-LHR on either 8/7/18 or 8/12/18

I'm flying with one companion with no status on the same reservation.

8/7 looks like it has a fair amount of seats in business left, but not a lot of seats together. (edit 32 seats)
8/12 has more seats in pairs but less single seats in business. (edit 39 seats)

Since we're on the same reservation, would we only get upgraded together into the seat pairs?

I'm planning on purchasing an economy fare (K) and using MUA to upgrade. I have GPUs but since it's not guaranteed, I think it's better to chose MUA and get my copay back if the upgrade doesn't clear vs paying more for a W fare and still being out that money if my GPU doesn't clear. The difference between K and W on this flight is more than the copay.

Background: 1K, plenty of GPUs or miles to use. On the return, I'm going to use GPUs since it's confirmed at booking.

Thoughts? What are the chances the MUAs will clear?

Last edited by extreme_panda; Jul 11, 2018 at 3:12 pm Reason: updating seat numbers
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by extreme_panda
Since we're on the same reservation, would we only get upgraded together into the seat pairs?
No. UA won't look at the seat map when determining whether or not to process an upgrade.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by salisboss
EWR-IAH UA663 W-Fare 12/16 available
zero

Originally Posted by salisboss
IAH-MSY UA1131 W-Fare 16/20 available
slightly higher
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Platinum. What are my CPU chances?

Sunday July 15
IAD-SFO UA424 8:18am dpt full Y-fare
Currently F7 A6 JN7 C6 D6 Z5 ZN5 P5 PN5 R0 RN0

Friday July 20
SFO-IAD UA517 4:26pm dpt full Y-fare
Currently F4 A0 JN4 C1 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0
Thinking of throwing an RPU at this one
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shutter41
Platinum. What are my CPU chances?

Sunday July 15
IAD-SFO UA424 8:18am dpt full Y-fare
Currently F7 A6 JN7 C6 D6 Z5 ZN5 P5 PN5 R0 RN0

Friday July 20
SFO-IAD UA517 4:26pm dpt full Y-fare
Currently F4 A0 JN4 C1 D1 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0
Thinking of throwing an RPU at this one
Decent -- not great -- for Sunday. Zero for Friday. Probably zero even with an RPU.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
SFO to EWR on redeye tonight.
4 seats left 2 days ago.
8 seats showed up yesterday, agent wouldn't clear upgrade and we have 2x GS and 1x 1K.
Today (flight day), 8 seats booked, 3 people ahead of us on the list. Called GS, agent said someone came in yesterday and booked 6 revenue tickets. 2 people booked highest award business ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2018 at 11:35 am Reason: language
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB Silver, BA Bronze
Hi all, just wondering what my upgrade chances are:

Thursday 26 July
LAX - SIN UA37 on W fare with 1K GPU applied
Currently J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN4 R0 RN0 IN0 I0

16 seats available and PN has gone from 2 to 4 in the last couple of days, for what it's worth.

edited: upgrade cleared at D-2 :-)

Last edited by ADW86; Jul 26, 2018 at 10:39 pm Reason: Upgrade cleared
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Hi All,

Flying SFO - HKG as part of a larger leg to CAN on July 29th. My LAX - SFO portion cleared at booking with a W Fare and 30,000K Miles + 550.00 upgrade option. 20 seats on the seatmap left (which I know isn't a good way to look at things, but my EF account just expired. What do you think my chances are?
  • Available fare classes:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D0
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X0
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumples
Flying SFO - HKG as part of a larger leg to CAN on July 29th. My LAX - SFO portion cleared at booking with a W Fare and 30,000K Miles + 550.00 upgrade option. 20 seats on the seatmap left (which I know isn't a good way to look at things, but my EF account just expired. What do you think my chances are?
An EF account won't help you estimate loads. You can see the number of seats booked in J here, or in general via the Future Flight Status tool at https://cablepick.net/united . Spoiler: it's 41/60 today, with two weeks left to go. UA thinks they'll sell them all; that's why the inventory is as tight as it is. J9 C9 D0 means "we don't think we need to offer discount fares to sell these seats."

Your profile lists you as 1K. Is that still accurate? The waitlist is ordered by status, then by fare paid. As a 1K on a W, you might have a shot, but realistically you're probably hoping for some misconnects.

Are you really flying from HKG to CAN?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi All,

• Available fare classes:
  • J9
  • JN9
  • C9
  • D0
  • Z0
  • ZN0
  • P0
  • PN0
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L0
  • K0
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X0
I think you'll be getting your $550 back. You may get an empty middle or even row as consolation. It might be filled by SBY last minute, though.

Originally Posted by jsloan
An EF account won't help you estimate loads. You can see the number of seats booked in J here, or in general via the Future Flight Status tool at https://cablepick.net/united . Spoiler: it's 41/60 today, with two weeks left to go. UA thinks they'll sell them all; that's why the inventory is as tight as it is. J9 C9 D0 means "we don't think we need to offer discount fares to sell these seats."

Your profile lists you as 1K. Is that still accurate? The waitlist is ordered by status, then by fare paid. As a 1K on a W, you might have a shot, but realistically you're probably hoping for some misconnects.

UA apparently likes very much to sell that connection, actually. The main alternative is connecting in PEK, which — well, you know how that can go.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Unhappy

Sad times thanks for the feedback - I am 1K still and I think i'm going to need to call in a favor from a friend...

Yes, HKG - CAN, it was what was available and matched my schedule due to meetings - just curious - is that a weird routing?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sad times thanks for the feedback - I am 1K still and I think i'm going to need to call in a favor from a friend...

Yes, HKG - CAN, it was what was available and matched my schedule due to meetings - just curious - is that a weird routing?
It's just a very short flight, I imagine jsloan was contemplating.

Having done the PEK connection to CAN, I can say HKG-CAN is much better!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
It's just a very short flight, I imagine jsloan was contemplating.
Exactly. I'm a little surprised anyone flies it, to be honest. I figured most people would take the ferry from HKG to Guangzhou. If the timing works out better for the flight than the boat, though, that's great. ^
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Exactly. I'm a little surprised anyone flies it, to be honest. I figured most people would take the ferry from HKG to Guangzhou. If the timing works out better for the flight than the boat, though, that's great. ^
The funny part is that UA sells ORD-HKG-CAN with a 7:20 PM arrival in HKG and a 8:00 AM departure to CAN the next morning. I know nothing about ferries in Asia so just took the train to Guangzhou. Gave me an excuse to extend my stay in Hong Kong and my dear wife requested to stay in Hong Kong while I was in Guangzhou as Hong Kong is her favorite place in Asia.

But to go back to the subject of this thread, the upgrade chances do not look good. That's the time I would make sure I have a decent seat in Economy+. I did Economy+ to HKG from ORD in 2016, my longest flight and it was OK. I was supposed to do it again this November but, by booking my flight really early, my upgrades cleared about one month after purchasing my ticket. My wife had only cleared in one direction and then a good P fare appeared so she just upfared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.