Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The problem is that I'm not sure they're selling F on that route (all flights for Sunday are showing F0 J0), so I'm not 100% sure that GPUs can be used from J. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if J were already oversold, so it might not matter.

I think OP's best chance is a misconnect or two at ORD.
Didn't have time to check but I thought the OP said F was wide open? FWIW, I always throw a GPU when I book J and TATLs and TPAC flights in hopes of getting bumped to F. Admittedly not with much luck.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Didn't have time to check but I thought the OP said F was wide open? FWIW, I always throw a GPU when I book J and TATLs and TPAC flights in hopes of getting bumped to F. Admittedly not with much luck.
There are 3 ORD-LHR flights on Sunday. According to the flight status, one has three passengers, one has zero, and one has one. However, they are all F0 J0 in terms of inventory -- you cannot buy a premium cabin ticket for Sunday on any of those flights.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The problem is that I'm not sure they're selling F on that route (all flights for Sunday are showing F0 J0), so I'm not 100% sure that GPUs can be used from J. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if J were already oversold, so it might not matter.

If they're not selling F cabin does that mean that they will "upgrade" 6 J pax to F seats based on status (or perhaps instruments). If that's the case, then space might open for OP, unless J is already booked +6
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:12 am

UA has stopped selling F on many routes (all 763) already. 777s are starting 6/20.
But you can still submit an upgrade request but they won't clear until the gate.

This is to prevent possibility of swaps to a 2-cabin flight without First.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kmxu
3) If 1) and 2) do not happen and if there are a lot of nonrev's, they will be booked into F and you will likely stay in economy cabin.
How true!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
If they're not selling F cabin does that mean that they will "upgrade" 6 J pax to F seats based on status (or perhaps instruments). If that's the case, then space might open for OP, unless J is already booked +6
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
UA has stopped selling F on many routes (all 763) already. 777s are starting 6/20.
But you can still submit an upgrade request but they won't clear until the gate.

This is to prevent possibility of swaps to a 2-cabin flight without First.
OK, in that case, it's possible that a GPU'd J passenger could clear space for the OP -- but I'm still skeptical, because I think UA would still sell J space if there were additional seats in (J + F). I don't believe they would upgrade J pax to F absent either an instrument or an oversale in J, but I think the oversale situation is quite likely or the flights wouldn't be af J0. I still think OP is hoping for a misconnect.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
So, for my IAH to LIR leg on 6th may @ 7am, it looks like this:
  • F9
  • A5
  • JN6
  • C6
  • D6
  • Z5
  • ZN5
  • P5
  • PN5
  • R0
  • RN0
  • IN0
  • I0
  • Y9
  • YN9
  • B9
  • M9
  • E9
  • U9
  • H9
  • HN9
  • Q9
  • V9
  • W9
  • S9
  • T9
  • L9
  • K1
  • G0
  • N9
  • XN9
  • X1
I did apply RPU for me and my wife ( as a side note, she is not registered as MP member, I am not sure if it is better to have her as a member or not, as that part seems complicated, so please advise) , if the F class seats stay the same at check in, is it easy to call the 1k desk and find out probability of CPU clearing and then cancelling the RPUs I have just applied ?

thx
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This older thread did not get close earlier, but will close now and moved recent posts to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ht-2018-a.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2018 at 9:47 pm
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by simonoaks
....I did apply RPU for me and my wife ( as a side note, she is not registered as MP member, I am not sure if it is better to have her as a member or not, as that part seems complicated, so please advise) , ...
One does not need to be a MP member if using a supported upgrade method or on a common PNR with an elite. Being a GM (general member, non-elite) or a non-member has no practical difference.

Originally Posted by simonoaks
...if the F class seats stay the same at check in, is it easy to call the 1k desk and find out probability of CPU clearing and then cancelling the RPUs ...
Strictly speaking agents are not to do that and it gets partially difficult to do given the complex upgrade paths for a CPU eligible flight

UA1737 on 6 May is 9 seats booked (2 upgrades already cleared) out 20 -- still 2 weeks out but with PN>0, no GS are waitlisted on supported upgrades. Still maybe some GS that would clear ahead of you on CPUs if you get to 5 days out. but looks like you will just be competing mostly with other 1Ks. Chance are likely good for RPU and a potential chance for CPU.

The earlier flight 1512 is 14 booked out of 20 -- so lots of space between the two flights but it is still 2 weeks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2018 at 9:24 pm Reason: chnaces
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: UA 1k
Seeking advice on a bit of a pickle. I'm booking a last-minute trip to Singapore for next week, 1k with GPUs based out of EWR, hopefully leaving on Friday 4/27 though with some flexibility on departure date. UA1 SFO-SIN, which I understand to be a difficult GPU to clear, is showing 31/48 booked in business class. No R space available of course. What's the odds of this clearing?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk and to the United threads, Chapter!

Maybe business people don't like to fly to SIN on Fridays as I would say that I wish my flights would have still so many seats to sell less than a week out. Since PN=0, you'll still have competition from waitlisted GS and naturally other 1Ks. I would take my chances on this flight. Advantage: you can check in earlier than passengers traveling directly from SFO, so you can win the check-in time tie-break for the upgrade at the gate, if it comes to that.

Only problem, only middle seats are open in E+. So, you'll have to keep checking the seat map to switch to a window or aisle seat (according to your preference). Seats may open if other passengers are upgraded. And you have to keep checking and not let the Silvers in Economy (who will also be looking to move to those seats when they can check-in) beat you to them.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Hey all, new to the United forum and recently a Silver member.

I am looking at UA433, BOS-SFO, the 6:04am scheduled departure this coming Saturday, 4/28. 752 aircraft, 11/28 booked, and 3 already showing upgraded on the flight status tool (are these folks GS members receiving early upgrades due to load, or upgrade certificates clearing?)

Anyhoo, I am trying to see if I have any shot as a Silver on a G fare. When I look at the same flight yesterday (4/21) it shows only 3 upgrades clearing...maybe just a fuller load? The other late night and early morning BOS-SFO yesterday and today actually went out with a long upgrade list showing cleared and despite that, still empty seats up front...

I've learned on DL to use how "full" E+ is to gage how many Platinums and Diamonds are on the flight in Y...on UA, it seems like GMs too get E+ at booking. Only 8 seats showing taken in E+ currently on UA433 I'm looking at on 4/28 - a good indicator?

Thanks for any advice/input/chances on getting a lie-flat seat! It seems almost certain I will land E+ at T-24 given how empty it seems.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I am looking at UA433, BOS-SFO, the 6:04am scheduled departure this coming Saturday, 4/28. 752 aircraft, 11/28 booked, and 3 already showing upgraded on the flight status tool (are these folks GS members receiving early upgrades due to load, or upgrade certificates clearing?)
Welcome to FT!

SFO-BOS is now a premium t-con route and is not eligible for complimentary premier upgrades. So unless you request an instrument upgrade (e.g., using miles or an RPU), you will not be upgrade eligible.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Welcome to Flyertalk and to the United threads, Chapter!

Maybe business people don't like to fly to SIN on Fridays as I would say that I wish my flights would have still so many seats to sell less than a week out. Since PN=0, you'll still have competition from waitlisted GS and naturally other 1Ks. I would take my chances on this flight. Advantage: you can check in earlier than passengers traveling directly from SFO, so you can win the check-in time tie-break for the upgrade at the gate, if it comes to that.

Only problem, only middle seats are open in E+. So, you'll have to keep checking the seat map to switch to a window or aisle seat (according to your preference). Seats may open if other passengers are upgraded. And you have to keep checking and not let the Silvers in Economy (who will also be looking to move to those seats when they can check-in) beat you to them.
Thank you for the advice! I've lurked for a long time and used the great advice here to get to 1k last year and book intelligently to use my GPUs (just did a round trip Polaris EWR-NRT w/ GPUs). I'll book that flight then. Other option is to fly EWR-HKG with R space, then HKG-SIN, but that would land me at my hotel around 3am and cause a jetlag disaster...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.