Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 2:30 pm

Colleague is flying IAD-CDG on 11/11 (Saturday night), booked 16/50, P9PN0PZ0, as it has been for months, and the colleague (plat) is #12 on the waitlist. Not sure how loads will change as we get close in, since it's off-peak and a weekend flight. What are the chances?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ibush01
Thanks for keeping an eye on this! I bought up to P+ and we were then #1-2 on the Polaris upgrade list. But there was only one seat remaining when we got to the gate and we were passed over for #3 (you're welcome, whoever you were).
I thought within D-24h the upgrade goes by the order of individuals on the WL, regardless of whether there are companions. So if only one space is open, it goes to #1, Namely, it should not skip #1-#2 to go the next single traveler. Prior to D-24h the #1-#2 will be skipped, but not within D-24h. Am I wrong?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I thought within D-24h the upgrade goes by the order of individuals on the WL, regardless of whether there are companions. So if only one space is open, it goes to #1, Namely, it should not skip #1-#2 to go the next single traveler. Prior to D-24h the #1-#2 will be skipped, but not within D-24h. Am I wrong?
No, you're not. Post check-in, upgrades should be processed in order, with multi-pax PNR split to accommodate the upgrade.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and PanAmWT like this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
No, you're not. Post check-in, upgrades should be processed in order, with multi-pax PNR split to accommodate the upgrade.
But if #3 buys up to Polaris within D-24, it sometimes shows as upgraded on the upgrade list.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I interpreted it as OP turning down the upgrade to prevent being split.
PanAmWT likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Can we all agree for OP or a mod to change the topic of this thread

From: "[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight"

To: "[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight "
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I interpreted it as OP turning down the upgrade to prevent being split.
No — I/we didn't turn it down. We were never offered the chance (I would have given it to my dad and then STEWED the whole flight). Just before boarding, the upgrade screen listed us as #1-2 and then the #3 name showed as upgrade confirmed.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ibush01
No — I/we didn't turn it down. We were never offered the chance (I would have given it to my dad and then STEWED the whole flight). Just before boarding, the upgrade screen listed us as #1-2 and then the #3 name showed as upgrade confirmed.
Weird. That is contrary to policy unless #3 bought up, which can still lead to the checkmark and thus is confusing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Don’t underestimate the number of people who at/near boarding who will buy up if they see no chance otherwise. Being #1/2 on waitlist with 1 or 2 seats left is primed for disappointment. #1/2 w/ 5 seats left in less that 8 hours, I’m feeling better.

Even if I’m #5 w/ 7 seats on a flight in two days, I’m assuming I’m out of luck. I’m starting to watch buy-ups at that time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Chance of upgrading on SFO-MCO on the redeye 10/31? I’m a 1K under K fare. Traveling with the gf so she bugging me hoping it clears. Like 12 seats left on the 757-3. I see a lot of economy plus seats empty which tells me not many elites on it currently. Which could change. I give it maybe 20% it clears
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by elmira56925
Chance of upgrading on SFO-MCO on the redeye 10/31? I’m a 1K under K fare. Traveling with the gf so she bugging me hoping it clears. Like 12 seats left on the 757-3. I see a lot of economy plus seats empty which tells me not many elites on it currently. Which could change. I give it maybe 20% it clears
The flight is currently P5PN2, which is a good sign--no GS waiting to upgrade. There's 11 people on the UG list though, so unless you are in the top 3-4 of that, I give you about a 10% chance of UG. If you are top 3-4 (hopefully with 1K you are), then I'd say 66% chance.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks. How can u tell there’s 11 people on UG list?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Looking at 2 options for PHX-xxx-IAD for the night of 11/10 (Friday, but a holiday):
  • PHX-LAX-IAD
  • PHX-SFO-IAD
Both redeyes are on 753s. The downside to the connection in LAX seems to be that it is the same flight # continuing on, which IIRC can cause issues with clearing... the downside to SFO is, well, it's SFO (and also about $200 more expensive).

Thoughts? I know it's way too early to talk loads reasonably, and yes, it's a holiday (Veteran's Day), but Friday night transcon redeyes are something I usually have decent luck at.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
Looking at 2 options for PHX-xxx-IAD for the night of 11/10 (Friday, but a holiday):
  • PHX-LAX-IAD
  • PHX-SFO-IAD
Both redeyes are on 753s. The downside to the connection in LAX seems to be that it is the same flight # continuing on, which IIRC can cause issues with clearing... the downside to SFO is, well, it's SFO (and also about $200 more expensive).

Thoughts? I know it's way too early to talk loads reasonably, and yes, it's a holiday (Veteran's Day), but Friday night transcon redeyes are something I usually have decent luck at.
Personally I like LAX better, as there's simply a better chance of no weather delays in November vs SFO.

That said, no options through DEN or IAH? Seems like you're back tracking a good 1 hour+ with the itinerary you're looking at. I'm assuming you're looking for more sleep time for those red-eyes.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by exerda
  • PHX-LAX-IAD
  • PHX-SFO-IAD

I’d second the suggestion to connect through LAX; it’s just more reliable. If you have access to the United Club, it’s better than anything at SFO. If you have lots of time—and are *A Gold—you could visit the Maple Leaf lounge in T6, which is seldom crowded. If you’re up for a jaunt, the *A lounge in the TBIT is a hidden gem.

I don’t like direct flights. For the MM program, you’re going to end up with the miles from PHX to IAD. If taking an earlier PHX-LAX flight works, I’d take that option.
SPN Lifer and tstauck like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.