Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old May 18, 19, 1:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 30, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - PP
Haneda to San Francisco

J9 JN9 C9 D7 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN

1k with two Y-Class tickets for January 7 2019, used to GPUs on the fare. Anyone have an opinion?
Old Sep 30, 18, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by dcikid12 View Post
Anyone have an opinion?
Booked 29/48, which is very very bad this far out. Sunday 1/6 is booked 18/48, which is still not great. Wednesday 1/9 is booked 3/48. That's what you want to see.
Old Oct 2, 18, 1:10 pm

Programs: Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - PP
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Booked 29/48, which is very very bad this far out. Sunday 1/6 is booked 18/48, which is still not great. Wednesday 1/9 is booked 3/48. That's what you want to see.

NARITA has similar availability as well.
Old Oct 2, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by dcikid12 View Post
NARITA has similar availability as well.
Yes I checked that. You're flying on a high demand day. Business capacity on TPACs tends to equalize - when the cabin fills on one route (say HKG) pax will start to route via others (say NRT or ICN). UA sees this coming and will tighten inventory accordingly..
Old Oct 2, 18, 2:22 pm

Programs: 1K
Anyone have experience with the best days to upgrade DEN<->NRT? Looking at a mileage run and by picking random dates I haven't found any open R, but it looks like there are a smattering of upgrades on recent completed flights.
Old Oct 2, 18, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, CX MPC Silver, AA Gold, CI Corporate Flyer, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zdog2x View Post
Anyone have experience with the best days to upgrade DEN<->NRT? Looking at a mileage run and by picking random dates I haven't found any open R, but it looks like there are a smattering of upgrades on recent completed flights.
Mid week is usually the best bet on that one. I find it's more common to find available R at booking for NRT-DEN than DEN-NRT, but YMMV.
Old Oct 3, 18, 7:01 am

Programs: United
EWR to ZRH on 10/14 via UA134

There's only 5 available business seats and I'm in the queue on a gifted GPU as a plat. Not really liking my chances - any thoughts? Maybe see if I can switch to the day after, which currently has something like 12 free?
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by AirborneCattleCar View Post

There's only 5 available business seats and I'm in the queue on a gifted GPU as a plat. Not really liking my chances - any thoughts?
Your chances of clearing that flight are approximately zero.

Maybe see if I can switch to the day after, which currently has something like 12 free?
In general, a Monday departure is a better bet than a Sunday departure. However, it only has ten free (booked 29/39). I'd say your chances are still no better than 5%, given that it's still two weeks until departure and you're at Plat. There is no way I would consider paying a change fee just to waitlist on a different flight. The only flight worth changing onto would be one with upgrade space available for immediate confirmation.
Old Oct 3, 18, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
There is no way I would consider paying a change fee just to waitlist on a different flight. The only flight worth changing onto would be one with upgrade space available for immediate confirmation.
This is a hard and fast rule for me. DO NOT pay a change fee unless you can confirm into premium cabin. The alternative approach is known in Vegas as doubling down on your loss.
Old Oct 3, 18, 11:56 am

There's only 5 available business seats and I'm in the queue on a gifted GPU as a plat. Not really liking my chances - any thoughts? Maybe see if I can switch to the day after, which currently has something like 12 free?
Depending on flexibility you could also SDC via IAD, LHR, FRA, MUC, AMS, BRU etc, given the many TATL flights out of EWR/IAD.
Good luck!
Old Oct 3, 18, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Depending on flexibility you could also SDC via IAD, LHR, FRA, MUC, AMS, BRU etc, given the many TATL flights out of EWR/IAD.
Good luck!
IAD is the only likely place you can SDC, and that would be a gigantic hassle for a plat using a gifted instrument -- the sponsor will need to call in and reapply the instrument, and there must be open R space (you can't waitlist an instrument within 24 hours of departure).

SDC via a European gateway is unlikely to work because SDC requires UA-operated flights by rule. You might be able to SDC as long as there's a UA codeshare on the connecting flight, but that's not a given.
Old Oct 3, 18, 12:06 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm flying PEK-SFO tomorrow. Do they normally offer cash upgrades for this flight? I've been following it for a week and they have not given any options to do that. Pretty sure the flight is wide open in J since the seat map is open and J = 9.
Old Oct 3, 18, 12:07 pm

Thanks for outlining the details, jsloan.

Fyi, I did sponsor a RPU to a 1K friend, who was able to SDC past check-in at the UC on his own, without assistance from my side.
Old Oct 3, 18, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Good luck!
Applying the instrument gets tricky w/i 24 hours.
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I'm flying PEK-SFO tomorrow. Do they normally offer cash upgrades for this flight? I've been following it for a week and they have not given any options to do that. Pretty sure the flight is wide open in J since the seat map is open and J = 9.
Seems it's only sold 22 out of 60. Have you checked-in yet? And you did not get an offer at check-in? Then your only option is to keep checking on the website or app by trying the change seat option or ask at the airport.

Search this Thread