Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:41 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 10, 19, 8:31 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Upgrade hasnít cleared with RPU (no-status, used family memberís) on a J7 P7 cabin at almost T-24. Is it more advantageous to wait as long as possible to check in or check in immediately to be added to the upgrade standby list?
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lesamuel View Post
Upgrade hasnít cleared with RPU (no-status, used family memberís) on a J7 P7 cabin at almost T-24. Is it more advantageous to wait as long as possible to check in or check in immediately to be added to the upgrade standby list?
I would check in as soon as possible. You will see how many people will push you down on the upgrade standby list if you monitor it very closely. Typically, United will clear up to 5 passengers at T-23 h for your flight at J7/P7 (leaving two seats). Some seats may be taken by buy-ups, too.
Old Aug 10, 19, 9:13 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I would check in as soon as possible. You will see how many people will push you down on the upgrade standby list if you monitor it very closely. Typically, United will clear up to 5 passengers at T-23 h for your flight at J7/P7 (leaving two seats). Some seats may be taken by buy-ups, too.
So the hope is check in as soon as possible and hope 5 GS/higher status instrument holders donít bump me past #5? Fingers crossed, this flight will suck if this RPU doesnít clear. Infuriating how they wonít release any PZ even when 10+ seats are for sale. If I were a top tier flyer, Iíd be switching airlines

EDIT: Checked in at exactly T-24. Flight went from J7 to J0 immediately. Of course I didnít clear. What exactly is the point of upgrade instruments if you canít use them?

Last edited by lesamuel; Aug 10, 19 at 9:48 pm
Old Aug 10, 19, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
So the hope is check in as soon as possible and hope 5 GS/higher status instrument holders don’t bump me past #5?
No, your hope is you clear around T-24 when UA sweeps.
If I were a top tier flyer, I’d be switching airlines
DL and AA are no better.
What exactly is the point of upgrade instruments if you can’t use them?
There's a thread on that:
"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays"

Although it sounds like six pax just cleared theirs.
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:04 pm

Dumb question, but if I SDC now, will I keep my spot on the upgrade list as if the RPU were still applied?
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:10 pm

...Infuriating how they wonít release any PZ even when 10+ seats are for sale...
No airline is going to give away upgrades if they think they can sell the seats (either as F fares are buy-ups from economy). Even if they canít sell them, thereís really no incentive to give out upgrades early.

Dumb question, but if I SDC now, will I keep my spot on the upgrade list as if the RPU were still applied?
It has to be manually re-applied. Iím not sure if your benefactor might have to get involved. I wouldnít think so if itís the same PNR. A phone agent will definitely tell you if thatís the case.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 19 at 10:28 pm Reason: m
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post

It has to be manually re-applied. Iím not sure if your benefactor might have to get involved. I wouldnít think so if itís the same PNR. A phone agent will definitely tell you if thatís the case.
Got it, thanks. I understand that itís a business but all I know is it didnít use to be this way...
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
If you SDC with the app, the RPU will not transfer. If you do SDC with an agent, many will transfer the RPU. Your place on the waitlist will depend of the others on the waitlist (generally based on status, fare and time -- note for the new waitlist, time will be based when get on the new list).
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
No airline is going to give away upgrades if they think they can sell the seats (either as F fares are buy-ups from economy).
I know that statement is received wisdom around here, but UA definitely upgrades pax into seats it might be able to sell. Happens all the time. Both CPU and instrument upgrades. I'm sure they view it as an investment in passenger loyalty.
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Got it, thanks. I understand that itís a business but all I know is it didnít use to be this way...
Being a Gold is very different than being a GS and even a 1K (although things are not easy for 1K's)
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:33 am

Looking for a little advice here, so thanks in advance. Booking a family vacation for four to Paris on 5/30/20 (Saturday, I know). I see three United options: IAD> CDG, EWR>CDG, SFO>CDG. Planning on purchasing R fare tickets to guarantee premier plus. Both wife and I are explorer card holders w/o status and were going to book each one adult/one kid on separate PNRs and do a miles+co pay upgrade request. All three routes are showing waitlist for upgrade with PZ0 ~10 months out (0 Polaris seats sold yet). Understanding the factors weighing against, which route would have the best chances? Also, might have a chance to get a match on delta silver by the time of the flight; would this make a material difference or just be a pretty low level tiebreaker for one of the reservations?
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:58 pm

Welcome to FT!, HaydukeMT
Originally Posted by HaydukeMT View Post
Looking for a little advice here, so thanks in advance. Booking a family vacation for four to Paris on 5/30/20 (Saturday, I know). I see three United options: IAD> CDG, EWR>CDG, SFO>CDG. Planning on purchasing R fare tickets to guarantee premier plus. Both wife and I are explorer card holders w/o status and were going to book each one adult/one kid on separate PNRs and do a miles+co pay upgrade request. All three routes are showing waitlist for upgrade with PZ0 ~10 months out (0 Polaris seats sold yet). Understanding the factors weighing against, which route would have the best chances? ..
Paid Premium Plus (PP) helps because paid PP is ahead of all waitlisters in economy regardless of status.
I would rank IAD slightly better (but still poor) over EWR and SFO the least likely. On a Saturday, at the beginning of summer travel, multiple seats, ....are not favorable factors. Partially will depend on which airline type is using at that point in time for each flight (looking at the ratio of business to economy). UA will be in no hurry to release award seats for your desired flights.

Also, might have a chance to get a match on delta silver by the time of the flight; would this make a material difference or just be a pretty low level tiebreaker for one of the reservations?
Having UA status will help, a little. You will be ahead of the non-status request and behind all those with higher status.

Having the credit card is a non-factor in this situation.

Having purchased PP will make these flights much more tolerable the regular economy.
HaydukeMT likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Looking for a little advice here, so thanks in advance. Booking a family vacation for four to Paris on 5/30/20 (Saturday, I know). I see three United options: IAD> CDG, EWR>CDG, SFO>CDG. Planning on purchasing R fare tickets to guarantee premier plus. Both wife and I are explorer card holders w/o status and were going to book each one adult/one kid on separate PNRs and do a miles+co pay upgrade request. All three routes are showing waitlist for upgrade with PZ0 ~10 months out (0 Polaris seats sold yet). Understanding the factors weighing against, which route would have the best chances? Also, might have a chance to get a match on delta silver by the time of the flight; would this make a material difference or just be a pretty low level tiebreaker for one of the reservations?
IAD-CDG has the best odds, but I would choose SFO-CDG unless SFO is out of the way because otherwise you're flying in domestic Y instead of PE. Silver versus non-status is not going to make a material difference in your upgrade odds.
Kacee and HaydukeMT like this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:09 pm

Thanks for the insight, yíall . The connections to IAD are all B. I know the travel timing is far from optimal, at best we squeak out a hair before the full summer crush.
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:16 pm

..The connections to IAD are all B....
That is standard for PP fares on non-PP aircraft. But it still means economy (unless you hit the rare PP equipped flight into IAD. Even then as Silver that would be a fee for access in advance of check-in. And the upgrade chances for a Silver fliyingSFO-IAD are worst than IAD-CDG.
HaydukeMT likes this.

Search this Thread