Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:40 am

This may have been addressed but if I apply my GPU (as a GS) for my wife who has no status and is waitlisted, will she take my GS status or will she end up at the bottom of the upgrade list due to her not having status? The original ticket was paid (not award) and it's a domestic flight.

Also, can I call the GS like to push her upgrade 72 hours prior if at least 3 seats remaining as the GPU instrument came from me (GS)?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jk2013
This may have been addressed but if I apply my GPU (as a GS) for my wife who has no status and is waitlisted, will she take my GS status or will she end up at the bottom of the upgrade list due to her not having status? The original ticket was paid (not award) and it's a domestic flight.

Also, can I call the GS like to push her upgrade 72 hours prior if at least 3 seats remaining as the GPU instrument came from me (GS)?
She would go to the bottom of the GS list because it would clear into PN instead of PZ, so she'd still be ahead of all other non-GS. And yes you can call to push through, as long as 3 seats remain AND she's the highest on the list (i.e. no other GS ahead of her).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:12 am

Shes gets your status, and is under any actual GS member on the list.

Why are you using a GPU though? Use an RPU!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: United Global Services

Well, when I've tried to use GPUs for myself, I'm usually unsuccessful. That's why I have 31 available! However, when I give them to a niece or nephew after buying their coach ticket, they usually get an upgrade and go to the top or near the top of the upgrade list. They are not frequent travelers on United and they are not a member of United's mileage program. Invariably, however, they get the upgrade. In fact, I took my nephew to London last year on a coach ticket I purchased, and he was upgraded to business (coming and going out of Los Angeles). Each time, he moved to the very top of the upgrade list. I can only assume that it was because I'm Global Services. BUT, I have ZERO hard data to confirm that. (Before someone asks: the coach ticket I purchased was the least expensive coach ticket; not the "basic economy" ticket.)

Short story: Long ago when I was GS, before the merger with Continental, I used my miles for a coach ticket for SFO-IAD. The flight was crowded and oversold. I was booted from economy to business; and then from business to first! Unlikely that will happen, now. :-) Likely, because I don't think they have anymore 3-class, short-haul flights. (Though, I'm sure someone will correct me since this is Flyertalk. :-)

To your other question: I have no comment. I never call GS to push an upgrade for a relative or for anyone I provided the GPU. The fact I can even use the upgrade (when available) for my relatives and friends when they have no loyalty to United, is fine with me.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
Well, when I've tried to use GPUs for myself, I'm usually unsuccessful. That's why I have 31 available! However, when I give them to a niece or nephew after buying their coach ticket, they usually get an upgrade and go to the top or near the top of the upgrade list. They are not frequent travelers on United and they are not a member of United's mileage program. Invariably, however, they get the upgrade. In fact, I took my nephew to London last year on a coach ticket I purchased, and he was upgraded to business (coming and going out of Los Angeles). Each time, he moved to the very top of the upgrade list. I can only assume that it was because I'm Global Services. BUT, I have ZERO hard data to confirm that. (Before someone asks: the coach ticket I purchased was the least expensive coach ticket; not the "basic economy" ticket.)

Short story: Long ago when I was GS, before the merger with Continental, I used my miles for a coach ticket for SFO-IAD. The flight was crowded and oversold. I was booted from economy to business; and then from business to first! Unlikely that will happen, now. :-) Likely, because I don't think they have anymore 3-class, short-haul flights. (Though, I'm sure someone will correct me since this is Flyertalk. :-)

To your other question: I have no comment. I never call GS to push an upgrade for a relative or for anyone I provided the GPU. The fact I can even use the upgrade (when available) for my relatives and friends when they have no loyalty to United, is fine with me.
its very simple to check weather or not your gpus will clear. as long as there is PZ/PN space available you'll have an instant upgrade
i always use my gpus for family and friends, but make sure first there is confirmed space available before buying up to the higher required fare (W+) also dont like getting there hopes up unless it'll clear unfortunately i am out of 2019 gpus for now

in regards to calling the desk to clear the upgrade
there is an unofficial benefit, when using a GS gpu the desk will manually clear the upgrade within 72 hr of flight as long as there is J3+ regardless of PN space. ex. J3-PN0 call and they will clear it!

you have 31 expiring in Jan 2019? gotta get yourself more friends

if anyone here needs help with searching for instant upgrade availability, you can post here or PM me
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
Well, when I've tried to use GPUs for myself, I'm usually unsuccessful. That's why I have 31 available! .
Now that's a first for me, a GS that can't even burn through his GPUs! I am 1K and am still holding 10. I have minimal luck at using them myself and gift them all the time to family and friends with ZERO success. It has actually been a bit embarrassing so much so that as someone else suggested that I now go through a whole thing about it probably won't clear and don't get your hope up. I actually thought GPU and award travel for GS transferred at GS status ??
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't know if OP is in this situation, but I think the typical pattern is you make GS by always flying in paid J, and then you have nothing to do with your GPU (especially now there is no F). I have a GS friend like this, drowning in a similar number of instruments.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:31 pm

@nomad420 probably flying on routes with a few GS members on them, still if you know how to check you should be able to clear them

@findark you are correct, although some only fly paid J for work and not personal
also gifting them to family/friends is probably one of the nicest things you can do at absolutely no cost to you IMHO.

i remember flying out of EWR (prior to being GS) and was seated next to a soldier in uniform, we stated chatting and he told me, while pre-boarding one of the other pax asked if he was traveling Y or J when he told him Y, the pax went over to the GA and asked that she upgraded him using a gpu*.
the soldier didn't know what was used to upgrade him, i later found this out by asking the sponsor.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
@nomad420 probably flying on routes with a few GS members on them, still if you know how to check you should be able to clear them

@findark you are correct, although some only fly paid J for work and not personal
also gifting them to family/friends is probably one of the nicest things you can do at absolutely no cost to you IMHO.

i remember flying out of EWR (prior to being GS) and was seated next to a soldier in uniform, we stated chatting and he told me, while pre-boarding one of the other pax asked if he was traveling Y or J when he told him Y, the pax went over to the GA and asked that she upgraded him using a gpu*.
the soldier didn't know what was used to upgrade him, i later found this out by asking the sponsor.
It's really all about flexibility. I typically have limited to no flexibility even for personal travel and when I gift them I tell them to look for PZ space but often they have ether all ready purchased a ticket or can't/won't change the timing of their travel.
My wife travel basically "biz or better" for work as contracted and we are both 1K, as was noted she doesn't really need them and for personal travel with limited flexibility she has only minimally better success with them than me.
I have heard about "sponsoring" military but didn't know you could walk up to the GA and do it?? I am not sure this is technically allowed fwiw. Having said that I would like nothing better than to have the opportunity to do this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
I have heard about "sponsoring" military but didn't know you could walk up to the GA and do it?? I am not sure this is technically allowed fwiw. Having said that I would like nothing better than to have the opportunity to do this.
was just as surprised as you are. although i doubt its not allowed, officially you cant apply a gpu within 24hr of flight and both 1k and GS can- over the phone
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GS and P+

I am wondering how the introduction of P+ will affect GS.
E.g. upgrades: Where will GS find themselves on Y>J upgrades?
Above of below others on the P+ > J upgrade list? Specifically I'd hate to be on a $4K+ full-fare Y-ticket and
and be behind folks on a $1.2K P+ fare.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The wording of the website suggests that all ticketed PE pax have priority over all Y pax, regardless of status. However, I would imagine that since a GS instrument waitlists for PN, GS will still have priority even if in Y.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The wording of the website suggests that all ticketed PE pax have priority over all Y pax, regardless of status. However, I would imagine that since a GS instrument waitlists for PN, GS will still have priority even if in Y.
Correct.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Good catch!

Elsewhere, I seem to recall, that AA has/had some kind of complimentary Y>P+ upgrade process for CK ....
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Got the GS holiday card with the 4 silver passes to give out for exceptional service. Only gave out 2 this past year
benewr likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.