Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:33 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by st530
Anybody have a view on whether using IAH Global Reception in C plus walk to Polaris Lounge is a better/faster choice than just using the E security? Assume 730 pm arrival at IAH. Thanks!
Always use GS at C. My two cents but I fly the airport weekly and if you are B C D E term C GS is your best bet.
​​​
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Dude, I seriously don't understand United.. I have a trip from SFO to EWR tomorrow.

4 days ago - 4 seats left in business.
3 days ago - 3 seats in business
Yesterday - all of sudden 8 seats in business.
Today - 1 seat left in business.

We have three travelling and all three of us have RPU added to the flight.
1 Global - 4 million miler
2nd Global is piggybacking on companion status.
3rd is Premier 1k with 3.4 million miles.

Impossible to clear upgrades these days!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by twkidM3
Dude, I seriously don't understand United.. I have a trip from SFO to EWR tomorrow.

Seems like UA is succeeding in its goal to sell seats and not have excess inventory.

BTW, this is not particularly new for this route, been this way for a couple of years.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC

Is that the number of C/J seats for sale? Did you call at the 72h mark to request clearing the upgrades?

I often see that kind of variability. If I really want to know, I just call the GS line and ask how many seats are available for sale.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

We have three travelling and all three of us have RPU added to the flight.
1 Global - 4 million miler
2nd Global is piggybacking on companion status.
3rd is Premier 1k with 3.4 million miles.

If it was me seeing 8 seats available yesterday (48 hours before departure), I’d call GS and ask to clear the upgrade. I can see other GS on the same flight called and cleared and that may explain the availability reduced from 8 to 1.

Remeber to call once it is within 72 hours. It has worked well for me and my family members traveling on my miles and GPU/RPU.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

If it was me seeing 8 seats available yesterday (48 hours before departure), I’d call GS and ask to clear the upgrade. I can see other GS on the same flight called and cleared and that may explain the availability reduced from 8 to 1.

Remeber to call once it is within 72 hours. It has worked well for me and my family members traveling on my miles and GPU/RPU.

I called 2 days before.. When there were 4 seats, the lady on the phone wouldn't clear it. She said I was the first 3 in line. Yesterday, I checked in. Obviously we were number 2, 3,
and 4. Flying tonight and my status is number 4, 5 and 6 in line with global service.... Oh well, love and hate situation with united.

Edited: had to call United since I was totally confused. Agent said someone came in and booked 6 revenue tickets on Business class. And 2 people booked the highest award tickets.
All done within 24 hrs time...

Last edited by twkidM3; Jul 13, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
This route is very difficult for anyone to score an upgrade.....
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I can see other GS on the same flight called and cleared and that may explain the availability reduced from 8 to 1.
But the GS agents still clear the upgrades in order, don't they? I assumed that if my family members are #2 and #3 on the PN list with 5 seats open, the GS agent would also clear the #1 upgrade.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
But the GS agents still clear the upgrades in order, don't they? I assumed that if my family members are #2 and #3 on the PN list with 5 seats open, the GS agent would also clear the #1 upgrade.
Perhaps others with more experience can answer your question. I was referring to calling GS between 24 and 72 hour window requesting upgrades to be cleared for myself or family members using my instruments. I did that just last week when I saw four open seats (between 48 and 72 hour window) and I called to clear my two family members on the flight (I was not flying).
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Yes. I have called in before where I was #3 on the list. I asked the agent to clear the other 2 GS flyers so that I can be cleared as well.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
Yes. I have called in before where I was #3 on the list. I asked the agent to clear the other 2 GS flyers so that I can be cleared as well.
yup. I was the #1 on waitlist for that flight. Did not clear. 6 people got assigned to BC. No upgrades on that flight.

Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02

The E security gates are a total disaster then. They close pre check and the secondary post customs security screening closes around then as well. I’ve had this twice while trying to connect - the last time taking about 30 mins to get through. It’s a crap shoot - but I have come to loathe that terminal’s security check point after an evening international flight.

Totally agree with TexasAggie02--in fact, a number of times IME PreCheck closed before stated closure times (and regular closing hours are earlier on weekends). I don't even think about E security anymore; go straight to GS entry in C--the walk to E only adds about 10 mins but you may save a lot of that time (or gain time) by avoiding E lines.

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Jul 16, 2018 at 10:31 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
What is GS check in situation at BOS?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
What is GS check in situation at BOS?
Far left line has the global services black globe symbol. There is no expedited screening.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Anybody else in Houston receive this?

Enjoy a special evening at Kitchen 713.
As a United MileagePlus® member with United Global Services® status, you're one of our most-valued flyers. To thank you, we're inviting you and a guest to a complimentary cocktail reception where you will meet United leadership and fellow Premier members. Please join us at Kitchen 713 to experience a celebration uniquely tailored for you.
You and your guest will enjoy passed hors d’oeuvres, food stations and cocktails at this modern, soulful restaurant.
Attire is business casual. Space is limited, so we recommend registering for a ticket as soon as you can. Guests must be registered in order to attend.
Complimentary valet parking will be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.