Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
Need some help. Just crossed 1 Million and would like to share my status with my daughter. Do i call Mileage Plus?
Need to do online, as covered in wiki of Million Miler companion benefit

key step
also found on UA's Million Miler program

Last edited by IBJoel; Apr 5, 2018 at 1:10 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by philf
As a GS from program inception, one of the benefits I appreciate most is the ability to call a GS phone agent without long wait times. However over the past several weeks, I have noticed significantly longer wait times to get through, sometimes 10 or 15 minutes. At least they have a voice message with the estimated wait time, but if I was dealing with an IRROP I would have been freaking out to wait 15 minutes. I know that sometimes long waits occur when there are significant weather disruptions or other events affecting lots of travelers, but I've seen these extended wait times mid-day in the US when there is no significant event going on. Have other GS experienced this? I guess it's not a surprise with all the other takeaways, them deciding to reduce GS phone staff. But geesh, what will they think of next?
I just called and got a recording:

I'm sorry, I'm having some technical difficulties. Please call back at a later time. *click*
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
There was a goofy set-up here where being GS on united converted to marriott plat, which converted to spg plat, which converted medallion-like benefits on Delta. My guess is that did not make the folks in Atlanta very happy.
Well this is too bad, because having Marriott Plat (+ Ritz Carlton Rewards Plat) was a nice perk as a GS member. Oh well!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Benebene
Well this is too bad, because having Marriott Plat (+ Ritz Carlton Rewards Plat) was a nice perk as a GS member. Oh well!
They should have restricted the DL Medallion benefits to those that have earned PT outright in the programs... not those gifted PT by being GS. Downgrading the benefit for GS is a slap in the face. There were easier solutions to this that would have appealed to both sides.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:31 pm

Calling to convert T class and rep is trying to claim that need to leave T2 left. Pretty sure thats not correct waiting for a supervisor.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by myb821
Calling to convert T class and rep is trying to claim that need to leave T2 left. Pretty sure thats not correct waiting for a supervisor.
Probably faster to HUACA
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myb821
What was the end result?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by greenpau

What was the end result?
Yeah, would really like to know if this is another tightening...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Most probably just a poorly trained agent. Seems to be more and more of those.
About time for UA to just publish the rules on the GS site.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:19 pm

Trying to qualify for GS for 2019, based out of TLV. What spend would even give me a chance to be considered based on past years?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by philf
As a GS from program inception...
You've been GS since program inception but only have 2MM miles?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
You've been GS since program inception but only have 2MM miles?
Not that odd
15 years -- >133K (but less than 200K) BIS (on UA aircraft) / annual average
Non-UA travel does not count
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by ILman
Trying to qualify for GS for 2019, based out of TLV. What spend would even give me a chance to be considered based on past years?
~$45k PQD on UA operated flights, mostly business / first / refundable tickets.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by getagb

~$45k PQD on UA operated flights, mostly business / first / refundable tickets.
I would say highest priority is on the PQD. Just so happens that most people that spend this kind of money are spending it on J or last minute refundable int'l / domestic, which satisfies the other aforementioned factors. I'm sure if you spent $50K+ the hard way.in less expensive economy fares, they will value that as well and you would stand a fairly equal chance to qualify for GS.

I used to be in the mindset that more expensive fares (higher CPM) was required as well, but some data points show otherwise.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau

What was the end result?
Sorry for not responding sooner. Poorly trained agent..... Second time this month I have had an issue using GS benefits for award tickets. The other was an agent that didnt know about the benefit for opening award space for a companion when i had a revenue biz class ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.