Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
A question about Global First Lounge access at Tokyo Narita Airport:

I am traveling in NH Business Class, would I have access to the Global First Lounge at NRT?
Any GS has experience in similar situation flying business class on any of the *A member airllines out of NRT?
You are only entitled to access when traveling in Polaris, but they might let you in if they’re not too crowded.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by dag16
has there been anything publicly stated about the SPG/Marriott platinum downgrade to gold? wish it had been announced earlier, i would have done more SPG stays and fewer marriott stays this year to help getting to platinum on SPG..
Not really but Marriott announced that Plat Premiers (aka the Global Services of Marriott) would be downgraded to UA Silver from UA Gold on Feb 1st. It was announced in mid-January for Marriott people so fairly late in the game.

I assume the same with GS when the status renewed on March 1st.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by edcho
Not really but Marriott announced that Plat Premiers (aka the Global Services of Marriott) would be downgraded to UA Silver from UA Gold on Feb 1st. It was announced in mid-January for Marriott people so fairly late in the game.

I assume the same with GS when the status renewed on March 1st.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that SPG has alliance with Delta Airlines... I wonder if the new Marriott / SPG program combined next year will have both UA and DL in the picture, or if the changes we are seeing here are an indicator of a gradual break from this UA / MR partnership in favor of the other, which already has a Silver status match on DL for SPG platinums......
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that SPG has alliance with Delta Airlines... I wonder if the new Marriott / SPG program combined next year will have both UA and DL in the picture, or if the changes we are seeing here are an indicator of a gradual break from this UA / MR partnership in favor of the other, which already has a Silver status match on DL for SPG platinums......
There was a goofy set-up here where being GS on united converted to marriott plat, which converted to spg plat, which converted medallion-like benefits on Delta. My guess is that did not make the folks in Atlanta very happy.
kirkwoodj and jjmoore like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
As a GS from program inception, one of the benefits I appreciate most is the ability to call a GS phone agent without long wait times. However over the past several weeks, I have noticed significantly longer wait times to get through, sometimes 10 or 15 minutes. At least they have a voice message with the estimated wait time, but if I was dealing with an IRROP I would have been freaking out to wait 15 minutes. I know that sometimes long waits occur when there are significant weather disruptions or other events affecting lots of travelers, but I've seen these extended wait times mid-day in the US when there is no significant event going on. Have other GS experienced this? I guess it's not a surprise with all the other takeaways, them deciding to reduce GS phone staff. But geesh, what will they think of next?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
There was a goofy set-up here where being GS on united converted to marriott plat, which converted to spg plat, which converted medallion-like benefits on Delta. My guess is that did not make the folks in Atlanta very happy.
I agree with this assessment... though I would challenge MR, if this is truly the case, that they simply only allow those that have earned PT on MR / SPG outright (not with GS gift status) to do the DL silver medallion gift status...... just my opionion. Instead they nerf the gift benefit down as a preventative measure.... that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of those affected.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I agree with this assessment... though I would challenge MR, if this is truly the case, that they simply only allow those that have earned PT on MR / SPG outright (not with GS gift status) to do the DL silver medallion gift status...... just my opionion. Instead they nerf the gift benefit down as a preventative measure.... that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of those affected.
It may only be part of the story. If you go to the MR forum, there's a lot of complaints about the "sea" of SPG Plats who came over with the merger, so there may be a general clamp down. Can't imagine the # of GS who took significant advantage of this was extreme, but then again for members with existing MR accounts I'm sure they were able to do a pretty good apples-to-apples comparison.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philf
As a GS from program inception, one of the benefits I appreciate most is the ability to call a GS phone agent without long wait times. However over the past several weeks, I have noticed significantly longer wait times to get through, sometimes 10 or 15 minutes. At least they have a voice message with the estimated wait time, but if I was dealing with an IRROP I would have been freaking out to wait 15 minutes. I know that sometimes long waits occur when there are significant weather disruptions or other events affecting lots of travelers, but I've seen these extended wait times mid-day in the US when there is no significant event going on. Have other GS experienced this? I guess it's not a surprise with all the other takeaways, them deciding to reduce GS phone staff. But geesh, what will they think of next?
This is my experience, as well - I have to say the wait time on the recording is over-estimated and the answer is sooner. The heartbreaker is waiting that time and getting an agent less-trained on GS policy and matters... then you spend an additional 15 minutes on the line for something that should take a few minutes.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, A-Club Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador
"GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI."

Had this offered at check in yesterday on PN upgrade. Didn't avail. On a related note there were at least 10 people in the GS pre board queue for an otherwise pretty empty light from LHR to SFO this morning. Group 4 looked smaller.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD

you hit GS mid year in that instance
Agreed, I did not think the original question referred to this situation.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by philf
This has been an intermittent problem for a year or so - the reason I've been given a few times is that their relatively new IT is restrictive and agents often look for a work around... There is an easy solution which is to give GS access to the 1K line when GS hold times are long. IME the response time for the 1K line has been amazing and typically under 2 mins even in IRROPS. Crazy this problem is taking so long to fix
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ermintrude
This has been an intermittent problem for a year or so - the reason I've been given a few times is that their relatively new IT is restrictive and agents often look for a work around... There is an easy solution which is to give GS access to the 1K line when GS hold times are long. IME the response time for the 1K line has been amazing and typically under 2 mins even in IRROPS. Crazy this problem is taking so long to fix
But then people would complain about how they didn’t get a “real” GS agent...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I guess I don't see the problem. I call GS many times a week, at all times of the day and night (often from overseas during the daytime, when it's the overnight shift in the US). While I occasionally get the recording and told the wait will be a few minutes, I've always had an agent that was courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful. I've never had to HUCA. ^ to the GS line agents.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by dag16
has there been anything publicly stated about the SPG/Marriott platinum downgrade to gold? wish it had been announced earlier, i would have done more SPG stays and fewer marriott stays this year to help getting to platinum on SPG..

you should have received an email from Mileage Plus:

Enjoy another year of complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status.We’re pleased to extend Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status to you for 2018. Please note that the special RewardsPlus promotion from 2017 featuring Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards has ended, but you can still look forward to another year of Elite benefits at Marriott® properties worldwide.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Need some help. Just crossed 1 Million and would like to share my status with my daughter. Do i call Mileage Plus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.