Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Do I understand this correctly?

There are no CPU in united ps flights? So I look for PN space for a GPU or RPU? Flying tomorrow EWR LAX. Is there a 24hr deadline to apply, or some other funky stuff?

Thanks,
T
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by fivevsone

There are no CPU in united ps flights? So I look for PN space for a GPU or RPU? Flying tomorrow EWR LAX. Is there a 24hr deadline to apply, or some other funky stuff?

Thanks,
T
Correct, no CPU on Premium Transcon flights EWR-SFO/LAX and BOS-SFO.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by fivevsone

Thanks,
T
Call it in to the GS line. They will make it work.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Silver, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, A-Club Silver, Intercontinental Ambassador
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Just landed in London. Keith, the awesome GS agent, met me at he door upon departure and told me that I shouldn't have to walk that long trek to immigration. So he took me to the tarmac and drove me to the area leading right to immigration. He did that last time I was there too. Awesome service by the outstanding LHR GS staff..
LHR is my home base, never ever encountered this from the GS agents (and it is a long walk). I'll live in hope.

But I do agree, the GS staff there are great.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
At CDG the other day, the GS agent directing traffic ahead of the security screener in line for the check-in agent said “welcome back Mr SFODelayed”. Thought it was a nice touch. I’ve only flown out of CDG maybe 4 times in the past year so not often enough that I thought she’d recognize me.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Arigato!
Yes, used it 2 weeks ago. Opens up at 12:30 pm. Very convenient access to the private security area.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Yes, used it 2 weeks ago. Opens up at 12:30 pm. Very convenient access to the private security area.
I did not know this, very handy for upcoming trip!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Arigato!
De nada!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I just got my Marriott Gold confirmation for the year. Has anyone confirmed if they have the same GS = Platinum deal they have had the last couple of years?

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
got same email: Looks like the ended the Platinum offer.

Enjoy another year of complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status.We’re pleased to extend Marriott Rewards® Gold Elite status to you for 2018. Please note that the special RewardsPlus promotion from 2017 featuring Platinum Elite status in Marriott Rewards has ended, but you can still look forward to another year of Elite benefits at Marriott® properties worldwide.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
I just got my Marriott Gold confirmation for the year. Has anyone confirmed if they have the same GS = Platinum deal they have had the last couple of years?

Thanks
My wife, my GS MM companion, kept her platinum status, but I was dropped to gold. Neither of us had a stay during the year.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
got same email: Looks like the ended the Platinum offer.
Thanks, I read the headline only and did not see the fine print. I guess that answers it.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS
I too got the extension to gold email and also gold credentials in the mail.

It would be nice if they could just be honest that they had a devaluation instead of doing it quietly.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Man that sucks!! I just booked a whole bunch of Marriott stays due to my Platinum status. :/
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I'm waiting until March 1st to check Marriott/SPG status

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.