Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I wish that was the case with me. My CPU upgrade rate as GS is about 30%. This year I am 2 for 8. Flying today from Toronto to Denver on a $700 one way fare. 6 hours before the flight there are open first class seats and I'm still not upgraded. They are selling them for $119 and I'm sure two people with no status will grab them.
That is EXTREMELY frustrating. Until mid-year last year, you could call in if 2+ were available on DoD and have them push you into PN. That is no longer the case, and UA has made it clear they would rather have a nobody in F that is willing to pay $119 into their really cheap ticket and smite a GS / 1K sitting on top of the list. Though this didn't happen to me very frequently during the second half of 2017, there are a couple cases that stick in my memory from last year when I was on expensive refundable fares.

If you are on UA4539, I would hope a couple more people book into Y, which will result in those last 2 seats in F to be blocked until boarding... then there will be no cheap buyups.

Last edited by jjmoore; Feb 15, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jjmoore
That is EXTREMELY frustrating. Until mid-year last year, you could call in if 2+ were available on DoD and have them push you into PN. That is no longer the case, and UA has made it clear they would rather have a nobody in F that is willing to pay $119 into their really cheap ticket and smite a GS / 1K sitting on top of the list. Though this didn't happen to me very frequently during the second half of 2017, there are a couple cases that stick in my memory from last year when I was on expensive refundable fares.

If you are on UA4539, I would hope a couple more people book into Y, which will result in those last 2 seats in F to be blocked until boarding... then there will be no cheap buyups.
Yes - on 4539. First filled with buy-ups and I didn't get upgraded (along with other GS).

This is unfortunate but understandable for a bean counter, but it will likely have unintended consequences. Instead of buying expensive fares so I get to GS I'm now buying the cheapest fare. Last minute trips I often buy Southwest BusinessSelect where I can at least get a good seat. I am so sick of buying expensive last minute fares on United and being stuck in the back of coach...

I would guess my spend on UA this year will be a third to half of what it was the last several years.

An interesting question is whether you rather have someone paying 40-50 cents per mile for a coach seat and upgrading them most of the time, or would you rather have someone paying 12 cents per mile and upselling them first for $119? Clearly United is counting on being able to do both, but that isn't sustainable since the high-value fliers will stop spending. This is exactly what happened under Smisek and Scott Kirby is taking United down the same path.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Yes - on 4539. First filled with buy-ups and I didn't get upgraded (along with other GS).

This is unfortunate but understandable for a bean counter, but it will likely have unintended consequences. Instead of buying expensive fares so I get to GS I'm now buying the cheapest fare. Last minute trips I often buy Southwest BusinessSelect where I can at least get a good seat. I am so sick of buying expensive last minute fares on United and being stuck in the back of coach...

I would guess my spend on UA this year will be a third to half of what it was the last several years.

An interesting question is whether you rather have someone paying 40-50 cents per mile for a coach seat and upgrading them most of the time, or would you rather have someone paying 12 cents per mile and upselling them first for $119? Clearly United is counting on being able to do both, but that isn't sustainable since the high-value fliers will stop spending. This is exactly what happened under Smisek and Scott Kirby is taking United down the same path.
My take on the matter is that the buy-up offers should exist, but they should either be: 1) 80% of the difference between purchased fare in Y and the available fare in F at check-in.... or 2) $119 .... whichever option is more expensive. That would be a fair play to ensure that if someone on a cheap ticket wants to sit up front, they will pay a fair, but discounted, price for it, while not slighting those that are loyal to the airline that represent higher cpm. I don't think this is a concept the bean counters will grasp though, as higher pricing will be seen as risking not selling the seats, meaning clearing UG's with a reduced likelihood of revenue....

BTW.... why the diversion to DSM?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:28 pm

I wish that was the case with me. My CPU upgrade rate as GS is about 30%. This year I am 2 for 8. Flying today from Toronto to Denver on a $700 one way fare. 6 hours before the flight there are open first class seats and I'm still not upgraded. They are selling them for $119 and I'm sure two people with no status will grab them.
That is shocking. I'm somewhere close to 100% unless I did a SDC when F was already full (actually, even got a $30 refund when I was on a paid J ticket and flew a short segment in Y). Are you booking after F is already full? Or changing last minute? I can't think of any domestic CPU route that a GS should be getting 30%
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
That is shocking. I'm somewhere close to 100% unless I did a SDC when F was already full (actually, even got a $30 refund when I was on a paid J ticket and flew a short segment in Y). Are you booking after F is already full? Or changing last minute? I can't think of any domestic CPU route that a GS should be getting 30%
Happened to me last week on BUR-SFO ... 319, F booked 6/8 ... sat at #1 on the upgrade list on a B fare. No-status colleague offered $59 buy up offer. I stayed at #1 and never cleared.
Today on SFO-DFW again stayed at #1 on list with 6/8 open. Two colleagues traveling, one Silver, one no-status both offered $89 buy ups, which they took. I never cleared.
This is absolutely the new approach domestically ... seems wildly short-sighted.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
How can you be sure that F seats are filled with Y passengers that pay a cheap upgrade fee?

I typically buy cheap Z/P fares far in advance (at the cheap fixed F pricing) and often SDC within the 24h window to grab the last F seat. Any 1P/Plat/1K member can do that.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
In addition to the given anecdotes, anything like peak time SFO-ORD, SFO-IAD, SFO-DCA I would not be surprised to see GS not clear. Quite common to see only a full F fare or two left 3 days in advance, and the cabin to go out with no upgrades.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
How can you be sure that F seats are filled with Y passengers that pay a cheap upgrade fee?

I typically buy cheap Z/P fares far in advance (at the cheap fixed F pricing) and often SDC within the 24h window to grab the last F seat. Any 1P/Plat/1K member can do that.
Totally agree, and I do this most of the time as 95% of time I'm on paid F ... what is apparent in my two cases is I had the advantage of seeing the TODs happen with my coworkers, so they are my best data points to represent what I believe is happening. I think the point of others above in the thread is not around the validity of holding seats back for SDC on Paid F (I like this opportunity), but about the monetization of F with TODs rather than GS upgrades. I think for companies that have a Y domestic travel policy but J/F international travel policy, likely representing a good chunk of GS travelers, the question for me is whether or not it is worth it over the long term for United to sell a $59 upgrade to someone who travels twice a year rather than reward a GS who overall spends $70k.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jjmoore
My take on the matter is that the buy-up offers should exist, but they should either be: 1) 80% of the difference between purchased fare in Y and the available fare in F at check-in.... or 2) $119 .... whichever option is more expensive. That would be a fair play to ensure that if someone on a cheap ticket wants to sit up front, they will pay a fair, but discounted, price for it, while not slighting those that are loyal to the airline that represent higher cpm. I don't think this is a concept the bean counters will grasp though, as higher pricing will be seen as risking not selling the seats, meaning clearing UG's with a reduced likelihood of revenue....

BTW.... why the diversion to DSM?
In air now. The diversion to DSM was to refuel. They knew this before takeoff and it was due to headwinds and the CR7 not being able to safely make it. The diversion resulted in three people in First getting rebooked through other cities so 3 of us GS ended up upgraded. One GS left in coach (I asked the flight attendant).

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn

Well - 2 hours before the flight there were 2 FC seats left. The were available for a $119 up-sell (I could have purchased it). It is certainly possible that two people showed up and purchased First, but I don't think so.

It is also possible these people had a very expensive fare, but also unlikely (especially on a CR7).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2018 at 8:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Cool

Originally Posted by greenpau
Happened to me last week on BUR-SFO ... 319, F booked 6/8 ... sat at #1 on the upgrade list on a B fare. No-status colleague offered $59 buy up offer. I stayed at #1 and never cleared.
Today on SFO-DFW again stayed at #1 on list with 6/8 open. Two colleagues traveling, one Silver, one no-status both offered $89 buy ups, which they took. I never cleared.
This is absolutely the new approach domestically ... seems wildly short-sighted.
I experienced this last week on a IAH > DCA and DCA > IAH PNR. Was 1st on the list, never cleared. Also happened on a IAH > SFO, SFO > IAH PNR 3 weeks ago. Happy about the free meal and drink in E+ though.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:12 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Just landed in London. Keith, the awesome GS agent, met me at he door upon departure and told me that I shouldn't have to walk that long trek to immigration. So he took me to the tarmac and drove me to the area leading right to immigration. He did that last time I was there too. Awesome service by the outstanding LHR GS staff..
wxguy, NH_Clark and manstein58 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Just landed in London. Keith, the awesome GS agent, met me at he door upon departure and told me that I shouldn't have to walk that long trek to immigration. So he took me to the tarmac and drove me to the area leading right to immigration. He did that last time I was there too. Awesome service by the outstanding LHR GS staff..
But this is SOP for you because YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
GS check-in at NRT. Any update?

I know previously we were able to use the combined UA and ANA F check-in area in I believe zone "Z". Is that still available for checking into UA flight in Polaris? Thank you.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I know previously we were able to use the combined UA and ANA F check-in area in I believe zone "Z". Is that still available for checking into UA flight in Polaris? Thank you.
Yes, but they don't staff it until the afternoon.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Originally Posted by meducate
Yes, but they don't staff it until the afternoon.
Arigato!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.