Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
That's what I thought by 77W is P9 (still) and 772 is P0

All still waitlisted...
It could be that someone is ahead of you on the waitlist ... happens rarely, but I wouldn't worry. In certain scenarios, for example where someone is ahead of you on the waitlist and their ticket is out of sync, no upgrades are processed until that ticket is resolved so no one is jumped out of order. Your chances are excellent this far out.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau
It could be that someone is ahead of you on the waitlist ... happens rarely, but I wouldn't worry. In certain scenarios, for example where someone is ahead of you on the waitlist and their ticket is out of sync, no upgrades are processed until that ticket is resolved so no one is jumped out of order. Your chances are excellent this far out.
I'm much less worried now that i've requal'd. i was worried before cuz I didn't think i'd make it so I wanted it to clear before I lose access to PN space. In a situation where you apply upgrade, then lose GS, are you still on the PN list or does it auto change to R requested?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I'm much less worried now that i've requal'd. i was worried before cuz I didn't think i'd make it so I wanted it to clear before I lose access to PN space. In a situation where you apply upgrade, then lose GS, are you still on the PN list or does it auto change to R requested?
Only one example ... with my colleague, he stayed waitlisted for PN after he dropped to 1K, but YMMV.

Incidentally, I have 7 of us on the 77W SFO-FRA this coming Summer for a family trip. Two revenue tickets (me and spouse, both GS) and 5 x saver economy mileage award with GPUs applied. For two of them I called immediately and had the upgrades pushed through due to the Revenue tickets we held; the other 3 cleared 36 hours from ticketing. P9 at booking. I prioritized the In-Laws, of course
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:50 am

Million Miler Benefit Does Not Extend to Global Services Status?

My partner just got notice that hes now a Global Services member on United. Ive received his Premier status as a companion benefit for years as he is also a Million Miler. However, this year, while he was made a Global Services member, I did not receive the same benefit Im still at 1K.

When I called United they said that Global Services is not part of the Premier Status on its Mileage Plus program, so Im not eligible for a match through the Million Miler Companion benefit.

Looking at the United page on the Million Miler Program is very clearly says that a companions Premier status will be the same as the Million Miler. It also lists Global Services as a Premier benefit once you've flown 4 million miles with them.

So whos right? Is Global Services membership considered a Premier status? And if so, then am I not entitled to have it matched through the Million Miler Companion benefit?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:59 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by DoxieFlyer
My partner just got notice that hes now a Global Services member on United. Ive received his Premier status as a companion benefit for years as he is also a Million Miler. However, this year, while he was made a Global Services member, I did not receive the same benefit Im still at 1K.

When I called United they said that Global Services is not part of the Premier Status on its Mileage Plus program, so Im not eligible for a match through the Million Miler Companion benefit.

Looking at the United page on the Million Miler Program is very clearly says that a companions Premier status will be the same as the Million Miler. It also lists Global Services as a Premier benefit once you've flown 4 million miles with them.

So whos right? Is Global Services membership considered a Premier status? And if so, then am I not entitled to have it matched through the Million Miler Companion benefit?
Whomever you talked to was wrong. I am a 4MM GS and my niece is a GS thanks to my status.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by DoxieFlyer
My partner just got notice that hes now a Global Services member on United. Ive received his Premier status as a companion benefit for years as he is also a Million Miler. However, this year, while he was made a Global Services member, I did not receive the same benefit ......
Give it 24 hours to update. I guarantee it will
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
How easy is it to create saver business from an R seat? Will most GS agents do it or is it more of a hang up call again situation? Can I do it in conjunction with a connection on a *A partner?
Specifically, I am looking at an R seat on UA from EWR-BRU and a saver business award seat on SN from BRU-FCO.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
How easy is it to create saver business from an R seat? Will most GS agents do it or is it more of a hang up call again situation? Can I do it in conjunction with a connection on a *A partner?
Specifically, I am looking at an R seat on UA from EWR-BRU and a saver business award seat on SN from BRU-FCO.
It's rare now an agent isn't apprised of the rules on this one -- most will do it. If they question you at all or sound confused, then definitely HUCA. If you call during busy times then the chances of a less trained agent is higher.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, AA Plat/MM, Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SS255
Now that you're GS, I would recommend taking the maintenance level up a half a notch, and requesting a gel pillow, a mattress pad, and (on pajama flights) a pair of pajamas upon boarding Polaris flights. (I do this as a lowly 1K.)
They have pajamas??? Getting some tonight on my TATL...
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Two questions:
1. Can a GS upgrade an economy award (X/XN) with miles (+copay)?
2. When a GS has a paid premium cabin ticket, does the companion rule apply if the companion uses their own upgrade instrument? For example another 1K member using RPU / GPU.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Originally Posted by greenpau
It's rare now an agent isn't apprised of the rules on this one -- most will do it. If they question you at all or sound confused, then definitely HUCA. If you call during busy times then the chances of a less trained agent is higher.
Thanks. Any restrictions on doing it as part of a partner award? J on the 777-2 isnt ideal but it works.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA PltPro, Marriott Ambassador, National Executive,
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere. I'm a new GS based out of EWR. May my non-GS travel companion go through the GS lobby and security lane with me, even if we have separate PNRs? Just trying to avoid awkward situations.

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Ed26
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere. I'm a new GS based out of EWR. May my non-GS travel companion go through the GS lobby and security lane with me, even if we have separate PNRs? Just trying to avoid awkward situations.

Thanks.
Yes, i've never had an issue with this. My wife travels with me frequently on separate PNRs and she is a non-GS. We use the GS lobby at ORD every time without issue (also have used SFO, EWR, and LAX lobbies without hassle).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Ed26

Thanks.
I routinely take my family with me into GS checkin lobbies as well as boarding at the same time as me. I also take colleagues travelling with me for business through. No issues. Don't make a big hairy deal about it but 99% of the time they won't give you a second glance.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Question...I'm currently GS but will definitely not re-qualify. GS status is good through the end of this month.

If I book an award ticket and apply GPUs that don't clear by 1/31 (for travel in February), will I remain on the waitlist and clear if PN opens? Will the waitlist for the upgrade be cancelled (automatically or manually)?

This is for ULH international flights.

Thanks,
RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.