Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old May 23, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by physioprof
So no front of line access? I've got an 8AM flight, should be to airport by 6:30AM, do have pre-check.
That's correct. The BOS-based GS agents are airside... and do a great job. There's one at every departing flight to help with anything you need, and ensure you are boarded early. The senior one is "Annie," who works Tue-Sat 4am-noon. This Annie is a rock star too!

There is a dedicated GS check-in line if you need to check luggage (furthest left - look for the GS globe logo). I've never asked there for help getting through security, but I guess if you are running late and the line is long, it can't hurt to ask.
NH_Clark likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by wxguy
That's correct. The BOS-based GS agents are airside... and do a great job. There's one at every departing flight to help with anything you need, and ensure you are boarded early. The senior one is "Annie," who works Tue-Sat 4am-noon. This Annie is a rock star too!

There is a dedicated GS check-in line if you need to check luggage (furthest left - look for the GS globe logo). I've never asked there for help getting through security, but I guess if you are running late and the line is long, it can't hurt to ask.
Thanks so much for the deets! Haven't been to BOS in more than thirty years!
Old May 23, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by wxguy

she is awesome!
Old May 23, 2018, 6:44 pm

Trouble with GPU

Reading the GS wiki above, with a GPU I should be able to create a business award out of an economy award, correct? My son and wife are flying MXP-PIT on 7/31 and there are about 15-20 open business seats. I just tried to upgrade them to business and I was told by GS agent that they can't do this until 72 hours prior, since "there were too many revenue seats." What does that even mean?
Old May 23, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by PittAir
Reading the GS wiki above, with a GPU I should be able to create a business award out of an economy award, correct? My son and wife are flying MXP-PIT on 7/31 and there are about 15-20 open business seats. I just tried to upgrade them to business and I was told by GS agent that they can't do this until 72 hours prior, since "there were too many revenue seats." What does that even mean?
Not sure what that means, but otherwise they are correct. You can only upgrade 72<t<24, if you buy business (but even then only one seat), or if PN is available.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PittAir
I'm not sure what you mean by "create a business award out of an economy award".

You can upgrade an Economy award to Business using a GPU, if PN space is present. This upgrade can be forced through by the GS desk if (a) at least 3 seats remain in J inventory, and either (b) you are traveling on the same flight on a paid premium ticket, or (c) the flight is within 72 hours, but not less than 24 hours, of departure.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
So my mom just hit 4mm two days ago. Her account today shows Global Service. I've been her companion since she was 1k. Wondering how long it will take for my account to reflect GS?
wxguy and greenpau like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by twkidM3
So my mom just hit 4mm two days ago. Her account today shows Global Service. I've been her companion since she was 1k. Wondering how long it will take for my account to reflect GS?
Less than 48 hours ... it trickles through the various systems beginning with Shares and then shows up on the app. For my better half, the app still showed 1K, but when we checked in the BP said GS. By the time we landed back in SFO, the app had clicked over as well. Congratulations to your Mom!
Old May 24, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by greenpau
Less than 48 hours ... it trickles through the various systems beginning with Shares and then shows up on the app. For my better half, the app still showed 1K, but when we checked in the BP said GS. By the time we landed back in SFO, the app had clicked over as well. Congratulations to your Mom!
Thanks

I got the status update.. I'm now GS.

Btw anyone know if I can call mileageplus to change companion mid-year and force it into effect? I want to pass my mom's GS to my dad. Then I take my dad's companion since he's a 3 million miler.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Thanks

I got the status update.. I'm now GS.

Btw anyone know if I can call mileageplus to change companion mid-year and force it into effect? I want to pass my mom's GS to my dad. Then I take my dad's companion since he's a 3 million miler.
I believe it is an annual election that must be made by November for effect the following year. Once done, I do not believe you can "force" a change of companion mid-year.
twkidM3 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
No ... there are no mid-year changes to companions. Ive tried a couple of times, and they list so in the conditions of the programs. Any change made now takes effect next January.
twkidM3 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by greenpau

No ... there are no mid-year changes to companions. Ive tried a couple of times, and they list so in the conditions of the programs. Any change made now takes effect next January.
thanks for the info
Old May 27, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
ETC for Lower Fare

Booked global first to PVG for $6830 on May 24, 2018. Today (May 27) I saw that the price went down to $5270.

Called GS, she verified the lower price and said that she saw I booked a few days ago. She said she would waive the normal processing fee and sent me an Electronic Travel Certificate for $1560. Is waiving the fee an unpublished GS benefit or is it because I purchased a few days ago? I thought I might have to pay the $400 change fee.

I received the ETC by email right away. Interesting that I got a new e-ticket itinerary and receipt for the lower amount, but there is no indication of the credit coming from an ETC, so it makes it look like I only paid $5270.

Last edited by roxie; May 27, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old May 27, 2018, 6:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by roxie
Booked global first to PVG for $6830 on May 24, 2018. Today (May 27) I saw that the price went down to $5270.

Called GS, she verified the lower price and said that she saw I booked a few days ago. She said she would waive the normal processing fee and sent me an Electronic Travel Certificate for $1560. Is waiving the fee an unpublished GS benefit or is it because I purchased a few days ago? ...
Standard policy is only a $50 change fee if within a month of purchases and some agents have been known to waive that for non-GS.

Originally Posted by roxie
I received the ETC by email right away. Interesting that I got a new e-ticket itinerary and receipt for the lower amount, but there is no indication of the credit coming from an ETC, so it makes it look like I only paid $5270.
Which is what you did -- if the receipt showed the higher amount, you could attempt to get reimbursed and/or deduct an expense based on the original amount AND get an ETC for the difference.
roxie likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:01 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Maybe a dumb question, or one answered before, but I can't seem to find it. My wife is flying on LH later this week (Wednesday) using miles to Europe, is it possible for me to upgrade her from economy to business using a GPU, as it would be on UA? She has GS companion status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.