Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerbjorn
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2017]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted)
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets. GS can also open economy award space for the companion to allow for the upgrade with instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased.)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:35 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Auracon
2) - My travel companions have never been denied access, even when congested, without being on the same PNR as I. I think there is significant flexibility on entry of my travel companions that are on the same flight.
I know a memo came out last year to the GS agents that said they were not going to allow non-GS relatives to use the check-in area. They said that many spouses, children, etc of GS members were using the area to check-in when the actual GS member was not present with them, which was an abuse of the system. As far as GS members checking in with non-GS members on the same flight, they don't have a problem with that, as long as the GS is with them.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Cant get saver award to accompany paid F

Has something changed regarding GS benefits and booking saver awards? I have a paid domestic F ticket but agent could not/would not book a saver award on the same itinerary for my spouse.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nigos
Has something changed regarding GS benefits and booking saver awards? I have a paid domestic F ticket but agent could not/would not book a saver award on the same itinerary for my spouse.
How many F seats were for sale? There needs to be at least F2 after you have GS create the award space for them to do this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:38 am

All flights were F9 or F7 (320's and 319's)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
All flights were F9 or F7 (320's and 319's)
Call back and try again probably a misinformed agent.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by zambonisk
Call back and try again probably a misinformed agent.
Calling back resolved the problem. The second agent explained that the policy is listed in very small type at the bottom of their documentation for booking flights. I think elimination of centers results in new agents not having access to the experience of CSR's who have been working for many years. In this case the first "GS" agent (likely a new person on the GS desk) had no idea about this policy. After more than 45 minutes the first agent told me that R needed to be available. This call wasted nearly an hour of my time (because I had to call back to speak with a different agent in order to resolve the issue) and of course 45 minutes of the first agent's time that would have been better spent helping other reservation requests. When amplified thousands of times over each day I imagine this loss of productivity does not compensate for the cost of running call centers.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA MP
Hmm, are you referring to buying an international business fare and having GS agent force open a saver business award regardless of availability? I think that benefit still works.
as for your case, Im not sure if buying domestic F permits opening domestic saver F award space.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by erickliu

Hmm, are you referring to buying an international business fare and having GS agent force open a saver business award regardless of availability? I think that benefit still works.
as for your case, Im not sure if buying domestic F permits opening domestic saver F award space.
Domestic F qualifies for insuring saver awards when traveling with a GS who has booked a paid domestic F. I have done this many times to HNL and on transcend.
In any event the problem was fully resolved by HUCA.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Domestic F qualifies for insuring saver awards when traveling with a GS who has booked a paid domestic F. I have done this many times to HNL and on transcend.
... with the important caveat now that F/J > 2 after the award is opened or upgrade processed to allow this to happen. On 319 equipment domestic flights amidst a sea of cheap P fares, finding this space has been a bit more challenging since this new rule was enforced.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I know a memo came out last year to the GS agents that said they were not going to allow non-GS relatives to use the check-in area. They said that many spouses, children, etc of GS members were using the area to check-in when the actual GS member was not present with them, which was an abuse of the system. As far as GS members checking in with non-GS members on the same flight, they don't have a problem with that, as long as the GS is with them.
Thanks guys! My companions are on different PNRs, but we'll all be checking-in together.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by rudling
Thanks guys! My companions are on different PNRs, but we'll all be checking-in together.
Great! As I said, just make sure you let the agent know first before you get too deep and they get confused!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
What does "PNR" mean?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
What does "PNR" mean?
Passenger Name Record. Also known as your "Reservation / Confirmation Number"
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Passenger Name Record. Also known as your "Reservation / Confirmation Number"
/ "Record Locator" (/ any others? )
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manstein58
What does "PNR" mean?
For future reference from FT Glossary
Passenger Name Record. Used to record reservation and passenger information.
Links to the FT Glossary can be found in FT Help Menus and at the bottom of most site pages

United Airlines Forum Glossary

PNR: Passenger Name Record - a term used for a reservation on United. When asked for a PNR, the correct response is to provide your confirmation number.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.